What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

Congratulations Guido!! That's an impressive achievement and something I aspire to. I'm far behind you on your wet shaving adventure but I've learned so much from all your posts and really enjoy your enthusiasm and great humor.

I hope your second year is as fun and successful as the first!

Last edited:
Thanks guys! @Phoenixkh @LRod @flask28 Participation in my mind is dependent on the level of response you get. It is really a two way street. And I enjoy our daily conversations and shave madness very much. Would want to miss it for the world!

And if it wasn’t for you guys I would still only have one razor and one brush with one soap! …ehhh…wait a minute…you enablers you!! :001_wub:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Thanks guys! @Phoenixkh @LRod @flask28 Participation in my mind is dependent on the level of response you get. It is really a two way street. And I enjoy our daily conversations and shave madness very much. Would want to miss it for the world!

And if it wasn’t for you guys I would still only have one razor and one brush with one soap! …ehhh…wait a minute…you enablers you!! :001_wub:
enablersrus.png

~doug~

Date
365 days of shaving344/340
(100%)
GRUME December7/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 2/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks and neck)
Gillette Slide
(NW-SE curving to NE-SW | cheeks)
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Razorine Flatboy with common bar handleBolzano (10)Omega Roma
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
TGS Furiah
Proraso
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (DFS+)
7/10 (Irritation on the neck)

Notes to today’s shave:

What happens after your first anniversary of DE wet shaving? Well, the journey simply continues with another shave! Inspired by @Jack Goossen I pulled out the Flatboy taking the second Bolzano into double digits. The combination works rather well with the Flatboy providing an excellent shave at just two passes. I did a third pass for fun and to turn it into a BBS homerun. After the shave however I discovered I missed some problem areas in my neck. Yesterday's irritation was still there after the shave today which is a signal for me that although the blade performed well, it might be time to move on. The KCG is just harsher in the KCG razor than it is in other razors (like the Fatip) and so irritation was kind of expected to be honest.

The Roma brush was again a delight to use. Nice lather from the Furiah and sufficient splay with backbone for a nice massaging face lather with a last pass bowl lathering to reinvigorate the soap.

Floïds did not sting as much which is also evidenced by the return of stubble only some 7 hours after the shave. But all was good in shaveland as far as I am concerned.

Enjoy your shave today!

Date
365 days of shaving345/341
(100%)
GRUME December8/31 (100%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve
Gillette Slide
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCBEddison (11)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face lathered
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Momentous shave today with the Timeless. I had a fair amount of stubble today (indication that the Bolzano has had its best shave behind it)and so I thought to bring out my Timeless for Timeless Thursday or something. The Eddison blade up to bat for the 11th time.

Haslinger is a quick lathering soap and today was no different. 10-15 seconds of loading the Razorock and away I went with my face lather. I paid attention to massage the soap in and really get between the bristles. I used both circular motions and even more brush stroking type of movements until I got a nice thick and rich lather. After the shave during clean up I realised that it might have even been too thick as cleaning the razor was more challenging today with soap residue locked inside the baseplate.

The Razorock is an amazing brush at a fair price point. The Omega Roma is at a similar level (also due to the fact that the fibres from the Omega are derived from the Omega EVO series). I am looking forward to comparing my RR400 with my incoming T3. All three will definitely be my top 3 brushes!

The Timeless and the Eddison took no prisoners and I was already at CCS levels after the first pass to arrive at DFS+ on the second pass. The third pass took it for a homerun - not absolutely necessary - but sooo good and BBS was there again. Trouble areas were a bit more challenging for the blade, but still very decently done. Smooth, comfortable and no irritation on the neck where I had irritation yesterday and the day before. Again a sign that in retrospect the Bolzano will be retired with a very respectable 10 shaves. Overall I still view the Eddison blade the performer of the three Discovery Blades and given the track record I have with Personna blades outperforming my expectations by a fair amount (as in nearing the double number of shaves I get from a Personna Red - I yet need to test my other Personna's).

Very very nice shave indeed. I have seen a .68 OC baseplate and I am curious to know if it is any different from my .95 SCB.

Enjoy your shaves today!

Last edited:
Date
365 days of shaving346/342
(100%)
GRUME December9/31 (100%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve
Gillette Slide
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Fatip Special Edition OCKCG (29)Omega Super Badger 632
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face lathered
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Fatip Friday is upon me again! This razor and blade are a fixed combination in my den. I sometimes swap blades and razors, but never with these two. The combination just works and this morning is was no different. After the first WTG pass some areas of my cheeks already felt really smooth and overall I think a light SAS could be awarded. Second WXTG brought down the remaining bulk and the ATG finished the shave to arrive at mostly BBS level. I felt some remaining hairs here and there and therefore overall effectiveness is a DFS+.

I did notice during strokes that small / quick strokes, bordering on buffing strokes worked best today, signaling me that the blade appears to be turning the corner. But I might be tempted to hone this one and see where that takes me.

Haslinger worked wonderfully together with the Omega badger. The backbone is non-existent as far as I can tell and it flops back and forth, but I found that if I use a scrubbing motion rather than circular motion the mega splay can be avoided and a very nice and rich lather can be build while massaging the skin and beard stubbles. Excellent.

Floïd's did not sting as much confirming the DFS shave level. Nivea completed the shave for a soothing effect. Ready for another day!

Enjoy your shave today!

Date
365 days of shaving347/343
(100%)
GRUME December10/31 (100%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve
Gillette Slide
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette Flat Tech
Gillette Wilkinson (1)
Omega Roma Capitolina
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face lathered
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)7/10 (Couple of weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

First ever use of the Gillette Wilkinson blade from India. I know if it through some videos by Kensurfs and it was part of my surprise package by @lasta. Right off the bat this blade was less smooth than my other blades including the Discovery Adventure blades. But I find it comfortable and smooth - not buttery smooth just smooth. And it performs well together with the Tech. Too soon to call so I will shave with this blade again tomorrow.

Soap and brush were wonderful. My lather was on the dryer side this morning which may very well contributed to the blade performance. I have decided to use this soap for most of December and see if I can 3017 this one. It seems to be losing its scent anyways.

Enjoy your shaves today.

Date
365 days of shaving348/344
(100%)
GRUME December11/31 (100%)
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG (2)CB Curve
Gillette Slide
(S-N | neck)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette Flat Tech
Gillette Wilkinson (2)
DVH Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face lathered
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)9/10 (One weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS+)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Second shave with the Gillette Wilkinson blade. I kept other players the same, except for the brush and the handle in my Tech. This shaves was indeed more comfortable / less harsh to the skin. Not the sharpest blade for my beard so I needed quite some buffing to get to DFS/BBS level - which is where I ended up in the end. There is a flip side to this less sharper blade and that is its comfort. No irritation on the neck whatsoever.

The Tech keeps performing and by Doug’s assessment I have effectively shaved with the original Wolfman WR2 - so that’s a plus!

I came to the realisation that I overloaded my brush today and yesterday - hence the dryer lather. I did 15-20 seconds of loading which is far more than I usually do (not that I am monitoring that precisely, but ok).

Enjoy your shave today!

Top Bottom