Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
TGS Shibusa 2
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Face wash with residual lather

Notes to today’s shave:

Only one week to go before NOCvember kicks off and my safety bar razors are warming up! Safety bar is somewhat of an overstatement on this Flatboy - technically it is a safety bar, but no bars hold is much more applicable. I could easily see this being an open comb. On the Lasta Red handle the Flatboy is very nimble and manoeuvrable unlike using the stock stainless steel handle (am I becoming a Light Handle Fanboy?!) and even better: it looks amazing too!

The Gillette Platinum is on its last legs and it somehow sensed that because I nicked myself by user error and the blade let me know it was still sharp. I placed it in my NEW LC for perhaps tomorrow, but I think it’s on the way to retirement. The fact that I needed three passes with the Flatboy is evidence for me as well.

Lather was amazing using John’s tipdip lather method. And Shibusa is a nice soap too. I can see myself getting the full tub for this one.

Very effective shave and looking forward to next week to give the Flatboy deservedly more runs in November.

Enjoy your shaves everyone!

Date
365 days of shaving301/300
(100%)
GRUMEOut
OCtober23/31 (74%)
Tabactober14/31 (45%)

Passes3
WXTG(2)Gillette Slide
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Efficiency & Effectiveness
Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
9/10 (BBS-)
9/10 (Two minor weepers)
9/10 (Buttery smooth)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW LC on Lasta Red handle
Gillette Platinum (4)Kox Blue Synthetic
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Haslinger Sandalholz
Proraso bowl/face lather
Cold splash

Notes to today’s shave:

The blade was not at its end. Wonderful and soft performance paired with the NEW LC.

I decided to return to an old favourite of mine and did two Gillette Slide passes followed up by a single ATG pass. Really nice and smooth result with practically allround BBS. @CCS was messing with my brain, because after my post routine and cleaning gear I felt some stray whiskers and the next thing I knew I was holding my razor again to get rid of them.

This Gillette Slide goes well with my beardmap. And actually is WAXTG all in one, because my pattern doesn’t necessarily match the way I do the pass. I don’t mind or care as long as the end result is there.

Haslinger performed like a charm. Rich, thick and creamy lather using the @tjsgarden tipdip brush method. Thoroughly enjoyed the face lathering.

Ready for another day! Enjoy your shaves!

Lather was amazing using John’s tipdip lather method. And Shibusa is a nice soap too. I can see myself getting the full tub for this one.

Sorry, my search kung-fu is failing tonight - could you point me toward the tipdip description? My lathering technique is definitely lacking consistency. :)

Thanks!

Sorry, my search kung-fu is failing tonight - could you point me toward the tipdip description? My lathering technique is definitely lacking consistency. :)

Thanks!
Hey man - no worries, tipdip is my personal short hand for @tjsgarden ’s lathering method which you can find here, but I think John did an small iteration, right John? But this should definitely get you started.

Good luck!

Guido

Date
365 days of shaving302/301
(100%)
GRUMEOut
OCtober24/31 (77%)
Tabactober14/31 (45%)

Passes3
WXTG(2)Gillette Slide
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
9/10 (BBS-)
10/10 (One weeper but gone during relathering)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Fatip Special EditionKing C Gillette (27)Omega Super Badger
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Proraso
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Proraso Green (A/S)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

What can I say - blissful shave. KCG blade still going strong and an amazing teammate for the Fatip SE OC. Everything Proraso was wonderful and really combining with each other (duh - all from the same line). Even my worn-down badger brush (my oldest and first brush since I was 18-19) was a great performer today. I think it really benefits from John's (@tjsgarden) lathering method. Kudos to John!

Continued my revisit of earlier used techniques and I must say that those double Gillette Slide passes combined with a single ATG pass makes for one comfortable shave. My increased experience helps in the efficiency department as I also understand all of my razors better.

Just a few more days and November is here! I am looking forward to using my SB razors!

Enjoy your shaves!

Date
365 days of shaving303/302
(100%)
GRUMEOut
OCtober25/31 (81%)
Tabactober15/31 (48%)

Passes3
WXTG(2)Gillette Slide
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
9/10 (BBS-)
7.5/10 (weepers on the neck and some irritation)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Razor
Blade
Brush
NEW ImprovedPerma-Sharp (1)Omega Proraso
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallow Tabac
Kox Enamel
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
KCG Face wash
Proraso Green (A/S)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

First run with a nee to me blade which was part of a blade pack by Jack :thumbup:. Stainless steel blade and from stroke one super smooth. Very comfortable and indeed sharp - so incurred a couple of weepers/nicks on the ATG on the neck.

The pairing with the NEW Improved is marvellous. This remains a very nimble, smooth and easy to use razor - extremely happy with this one! :001_wub:

Used Tabac again today and that did not disappoint either. Super slick. Tipdip lathering worked but my boar is my most thirsty brush so I need to load heavier next time.

Excellent start of Saturday!

Date
365 days of shaving305/304
(100%)
GRUMEOut
OCtober26/31 (84%)
Tabactober15/31 (48%)

Passes3
WXTG(2)Gillette Slide
(NE-SW)

ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
7/10 (DFS)
5/10 (weepers on the neck and some irritation)
7/10 (harsh)

Razor
Blade
Brush
NEW Flat BottomGillette 7 o'clock black (6)Razorock Plissoft 400
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Proraso Green
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Proraso residual lather face wash
Chanel Allure (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

Had some issues and challenges to attend to, so I did not post yesterday. The shave was ok and could have been better. This blade is working, but I retired it because the shave felt harsh and I incurred a number of neck weepers and irritation. That is a no in my book for a next run. Everything else performed beautifully.

In terms of technique, the Gillette Slides saved the shave, because I could use the slide to temper the harshness quite a bit. I have seen other gents take the Black to double digits, but maybe this is not the blade for me in that department - because the first couple of shaves were excellent.

Date
365 days of shaving306/305
(100%)
GRUMEOut
OCtober27/31 (87%)
Tabactober16/31 (52%)

Passes4
WXTG(2)Gillette Slide
(NE-SW)

ATG (2)Straight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
7/10 (~25 minutes)
5/10 (CCS)
10/10 (Clean)
5/10 (pulling)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41 on Razorine 70 handleTiger Platinum (4)Kox Blue Synthetic
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallow Tabac
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
KCG face wash
Chanel Allure (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

I have said it before - I have a love/hate relationship with my Tiger blades. The Tiger roared today and maybe was not a right match with the R41. The R41 on the other hand took no prisoners and the combination of the two lead to a rough shave. It got the job done and I was fit to go to work, but I definitely have another definition of pleasant shaves in my shave dictionary.

Tabac performed wonderfully and is an excellent addition to my soap rotation. I was in and out of Tabactober but it has been a fun ride. So thank you @JAHE for your perseverance on getting me to use this soap. The scent is still not my most favorite one, but the lather quality and shaving support I get from Tabac are almost second to none. So happy again to have experienced this.

Date
365 days of shaving307/306
(100%)
GRUME01/30 (100%)
NOCvember
01/30 (100%)

Passes3
WXTG(2)Gillette Slide
(NE-SW)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
9/10 (BBS)
9/10 (almost clean)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette English Flat Bottom Tech with Lasta Blue Handle
Dorco ST300HQ (8)Omega Super Badger 632
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallow Tabac
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Chanel Allure (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

Tech oh Tech how I have missed thee Tech. The wonderful passes and BBS was had. This razor is simply amazing and so was the blade. After a couple of tug-o-war blades this was coming home to comfort, pleasure and smoothness.

And NOCvember has officially started!

88ED739A-B87D-4806-A344-55851346CDBB.jpeg

Date
365 days of shaving308/306
(100%)
GRUME02/30 (100%)
NOCvember
02/30 (100%)

Passes3
WXTG(2)Gillette Slide
(NE-SW)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
8.5/10 (BBS-)
8/10 (cut on the jaw)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Matador Delux with Fat HandlePerma-Sharp (3)DVH Synthetic
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Shibusa
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Floïd's the Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive(Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

Next up in NOCvember was the Mighty Matador kindly donated by the gracious @Jack Goossen. Again a feast to use. Ab so lu te ly no blade feel and you begin to wonder if you have even loaded a blade at all until you do the first rinse and notice its effectiveness. I did notice blade feel on the other side of the razor and upon inspection I saw that one of the safety bars had a slight dent giving it a positive blade exposure on that spot. So after the shave I corrected the dent using a little spoon and it is straight again. Tomorrow I will use the Matador again to see if it worked sufficiently.

I blame it on Jack that my interest in Swedish razors soared as I find myself now wanting all of them! Fortunately for me Jack is a true gentleman in that respect as well so I know where to get them :biggrin1: - just a matter of tim(e)(ing).

Blade was performing better than last time although I do sense some of its harshness - maybe it is the stainless nature versus platinum coated. Not sure yet. Soap and brush were made for each other and a very fine and silky lather was my treat for today. Looking so forward to tomorrow's shave with this gem of a razor!

Date
365 days of shaving309/307
(100%)
GRUME03/30 (100%)
NOCvember
03/30 (100%)

Passes3
WXTG(2)Gillette Slide
(NE-SW)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (clean)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Matador Delux with Fat HandlePerma-Sharp (4)DVH Synthetic
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Shibusa
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Floïd's the Genuine (AS)
Nivea Sensitive(Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

Kept the whole gear exactly the same as yesterday to be able to objectively check my small adjustment to the safety bar. The Mighty Matador is balanced once again and delivered an excellent shave.

The blade’s performance was good too, yet I do believe that this will not make the larger stock composition - I have more irritation post-shave than usual.

Which cannot be said for Shibusa. This is a very nice scented great performing soap which I see myself buying.

Excellent shave. Have a great day everyone!

78368442-C77C-4F63-93E2-DC54D0A3B344.jpeg

Date
365 days of shaving310/308
(100%)
GRUME04/30 (100%)
NOCvember
04/30 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 1/3
Timor 0/3
Eddison 0/3

Passes3
WXTG(2)Gillette Slant
(NE-SW)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
8/10 (DFS+)
6/10 (Cut b/o user error)
10/10 (Comfortable)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Razorine Flatboy with Lasta Red HandleGerman Bolzano (1)Omega Proraso
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Shibusa
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Proraso Green (AS)
Proraso Green (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

With the gracious actions by @Grundi and @Space_Cadet this morning’s shave is with the first of three brands of blades. First up is the Bolzano - choosing this one because I was really curious following my earlier conversations with @never-stop-learning. I know it’s Fatip Friday, but I brought out the Flatboy for this first shave.

It was comfortable and smooth with some tugging on the first pass depending on the angle I use with the razor - this angle with the Flatboy is still an enigma for me. Steep and shallow alternate as I continue my shave with extra challenge in my chin area. That is also where I induced my razor bite, but is was over fairly quickly.

I do less ATG with the Flatboy than usual. One because it is not strictly necessary and two because I still need to work on my technique to ensure a clean pass.

Almost no stinging from the aftershave which tells me it was a gentle shave with this blade. Very nice experience in this first use.

Date
365 days of shaving311/309
(100%)
GRUME05/30 (100%)
NOCvember
05/30 (100%)
Timor 0/3
Eddison 0/3

Passes2 and touch up
WXTGGillette Slant
(NE-SW)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (Clean)
10/10 (Comfortable)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Fatip Mixed Metal GentileGerman Bolzano (2)Razorock Plissoft 400
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallow Nr 1
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Chanel Allure (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

Continuing my discovery shaves with a second run of the first Bolzano blade. This time paired with a Fatip. Wonderful shave and more efficient than yesterday's shave judging by the number of passes. Compared to Perma Sharp this stainless steel blade feels milder (but Bolzano apparently has titanium coating - Perma Sharp has none) - also less effective, but still a great blade to use. Very gentle on the neck area particularly.

This soap is a lathering frenzy! I used just a very small amount, but I could have plastered my walls with this lather! Amazing glide and smoothless - it almost felt if it prevented the blade from cutting. So I will use more water next time. Really nice post-shave sensation.

Excellent start of the weekend.

Date
365 days of shaving312/310
(100%)
GRUME06/30 (100%)
NOCvember
06/30 (100%)
Timor 0/3
Eddison 0/3

Passes3 and touch up
WXTG (2)Gillette Slide
(NE-SW)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
8/10 (DFS+)
10/10 (Clean)
10/10 (Comfortable)

Razor
Blade
Brush
KCG with Lasta Blue handleGerman Bolzano (3)Kox Blue Synthetic
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Tallow Nr 1
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Chanel Allure (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave: here

The third shave with the first Bolzano blade and it makes my KCG even milder than it already is. I do feel I can achieve a BBS if I would do a four pass shave which is my standard with this razor anyway.

The blade appears to be so effective but definitely less than almost any of my other blades. Wondering if I can use it for the full week - technically no issues but efficiency will be out the window.

Technique fairly plain and simple today with some freestyle strokes in the mix.

This soap is amazing! I decreased the amount I used compared to yesterday and it still provided a wonderful rich and thick lather. Thin coat remains even after rising between passes. Excellent glide and I like the subdued scent too - fresh and fruity. Apparently I saved the best for last without knowing it.

FE39B00D-9DE0-45ED-B6F1-B1A7C8B6CD75.jpeg

Date
365 days of shaving313/311
(100%)
GRUME07/30 (100%)
NOCvember
07/30 (100%)
Timor 0/3
Eddison 1/3

Passes2 and touch up
WXTGGillette Slide/Slant
(NE-SW)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
8.5/10 (BBS-)
10/10 (Clean)
10/10 (Comfortable)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Matador with Lasta Blue handle
Eddison (1)
German Bolzano (4)
Omega Super Badger
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
AlphaMen 2.0 (Creed Clone)
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Chanel Allure (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

The fourth shave with the first Bolzano blade (in Matador) and first shave with the first Eddison blade in the R41. The Eddison is an excellent blade! First pass with the R41 and if I have the first pass a bit more attention this could have been a one pass BBS shave! Really smooth and comfortable - not buttery smooth but close.

The fourth running of the Bolzano in the Matador was equally satisfying. This was buttery smooth. ATG without any problems. And BBS was there.

Nothing much to add today. Soap and everything else was performing as usual.

Excellent start of the day!

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Date
365 days of shaving313/311
(100%)
GRUME07/30 (100%)
NOCvember
07/30 (100%)
Timor 0/3
Eddison 1/3

Passes2 and touch up
WXTGGillette Slide/Slant
(NE-SW)
ATGStraight & Slanted
(S-N | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Quality & Comfort
8/10 (~20 minutes)
8.5/10 (BBS-)
10/10 (Clean)
10/10 (Comfortable)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41
Matador with Lasta Blue handle
Eddison (1)
German Bolzano (4)
Omega Super Badger
Preshave
Soap & Bowl
Postshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
AlphaMen 2.0 (Creed Clone)
Proraso bowl
Cold splash
Chanel Allure (Balm)

Notes to today’s shave:

The fourth shave with the first Bolzano blade (in Matador) and first shave with the first Eddison blade in the R41. The Eddison is an excellent blade! First pass with the R41 and if I have the first pass a bit more attention this could have been a one pass BBS shave! Really smooth and comfortable - not buttery smooth but close.

The fourth running of the Bolzano in the Matador was equally satisfying. This was buttery smooth. ATG without any problems. And BBS was there.

Nothing much to add today. Soap and everything else was performing as usual.

Excellent start of the day!
First pass with the R41 and second pass with the Matador, correct? What about touch ups? I was just looking at my R41 with it's Rose Gold handle, it seems like it wants some attention too.

~doug~

Hi Doug,

Great question. Touch ups were done with the Matador as well. So major mowing was with the R41.

I think the R41 is a marvellous razor - it is now 11 hours past my shave and still CCS/SAS level. Amazing.

I say: pick her up and give her a run!

Guido

Top Bottom