What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Boris reminds me of the child version of myself when the whole video game console war between Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis was being waged. I had the original Nintendo, so I was loyal to that cause and got a Super Nintendo. I convinced myself daily that it was the same or better than the Sega Genesis. But, as soon as I played Madden on the Genesis, I knew I had chosen poorly, but I could never admit that to my friends who had the Genesis.
Forever let this be known as Bishop Jay’s Parable of the Console Wars. It discusses the dangers of denying GSB asthe only blade that leads to enlightenment. @lasta, enter this into the books and file it into the temple library.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Now I’m scared to say his name.

We were living in Augusta, Maine when my Pop knew him.

Speaking of cursed academics, my brother had a teacher in high school that co-authored Sci-Fi novels with Newt Gingrich. When Christa McAuliiffe; and others; were chosen over this teacher to fly in the Challenger, he resigned.

Now I’m scared to say his name.

We were living in Augusta, Maine when my Pop knew him.

Speaking of cursed academics, my brother had a teacher in high school that co-authored Sci-Fi novels with Newt Gingrich. When Christa McAuliiffe; and others; were chosen over this teacher to fly in the Challenger, he resigned.
Wow! Forstchen's series about what happens after an EMP attack is one of my guilty pleasures.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
The "Unrepentant GSB Heretic" steps up and..........
vision leadership GIF
At least it wasn't this guy.

intro-1605890460.jpg

Date21.06.2024
366 daily shaves
173/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette New ImprovedMinora modern (1)Razorock 400 Butterscotch
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
BSS #1 (18)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
7/10 (Weeping neck)5/10 (Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.5/10
(DFS+++)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

The New Improved when paired with the right blade is a stubble destroyer. Today was 50% such pairing. It worked, but my neck didn't particularly like it. Post shave it was ok again, but during the shave it felt uncomfortable and reaped multiple weepers.

I love the razor for more reasons than one. It is amazing and it was my first real vintage razor after getting the Tech. And I mean real in the sense that this razor is from the 1920s/1930s - how cool is that! And it is in a stunning condition. My hand polish brought out the golden brass to the max. It is super effective and usually comfortably smooth as well. The modern Minora (with the yellow package) has a similar path it seems as the modern GSB for me. I didn´t like it. Cheeks were ok, but the neck - especially ATG - was no fun. Jodel aftershave moment neither. Even Kensurfs felt sorry for me!

Luckily the soap has some additional post shave qualities in fixing minor weepers (or I like to think so). The butterscotch 400 is a superb brush and I absolutely love it. Lather in no time and really a joy to use.

Technique on par. XTG even better than before. The blade wasn't fully up to the challenge in my view so the overall result is a little less than I got used to these past days and weeks. I'll see what the blade does in the Razorine Flatboy.

Enjoy your shave today!

Date22.06.2024
366 daily shaves
174/366

RazorBladeBrush
Razorine FlatboyMinora modern (2)Abe’s Brush Works Sylk Bandid
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
BSS #1 (21)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
8/10 (Weepers)5/10 (Sharp)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
8/10 (Smoothish)

Notes:

Not necessarily comfortable, but a very close shave with the Flatboy.

Razorine Flatboy…my most challenging razor and yet I have used it extensively as well (second to my Ti95 actually). This was my fourth ever razor and I got it with both handles. I love the brass shine. In overall shaving scores the Flatboy is last in line. I know I am the dependent factor here and not the razor. I would really want to make it work because I think once I do crack the code with this one stellar shaves are up ahead. The blade isn’t working for me. At least not in the two razors I have used it with. I binned it - life is too short. The good thing is I do not need to seek out shavettes!

This brush has a low loft and therefore much backbone. It is actually a fan knot but given its setting it appears to be a bulb knot instead. It makes wonderful lather.

In the technique department I went slow and light. As light as I could. To assist me with that I used my Lasta green/gold handle which almost looks like a fountain pen and gives me the ability to control the razor head almost shavette like. Better results than yesterday - less havoc and less weepers. Still weepers present, but I put that on the blade as well.

Enjoy your shave today!

Date23.06.2024
366 daily shaves
175/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette New ImprovedPersonna Platinum (2)Abe’s Brush Works Saturn Synbad
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
BSS #1 (22)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9.5/10 (Few tiny red spots)5/10 (Sharp)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Mellow Sunday shave. Difference in feel between the two sides of the blade with one side feeling smoother. The razor delivered a close and sufficiently comfortable shave.

Back to the New Improved with a used Personna (I think) on a second use (I think). I wanted a smoother blade than the prior two ones I used and I also want to use some of the loose blades that are lying around in my blade box. The combination was wonderful and the NI’s performance was familiar.

Continuing with the BBS and this time lathering with the Synbad knot. Floppy little knot and a wonderful brush alltogether. Definitely getting the hang of using a shave stick.

Enjoy your shave today!

Personna’s are much used here, but they have different names - Med Prep, Reds, or just plain Personna, and nowadays they’re called AccuForge following a recent rebranding.

I have definitely seen Personna used, in particular the lab blues seem to be quite popular. I have a 100 pack myself. Just surprised the platinums don’t seem to be as popular. Maybe they’re all close enough in quality and consistency between the variants?

Either or, I’ve definitely enjoy the couple I’ve tried!

Maybe they’re all close enough in quality and consistency between the variants?
Yeah, Personna are usually good blades for sure. One of puzzling things for me is where they are made - it’s literally all over the place! Haha! So my blade for example says Platinum Chrome but I have no idea anymore if these are my Israeli Reds, US made or the German one. They are good enough though. You should be able to use them for a week. For me usually slightly less - about 5 shaves and then I start to notice differences. Unless of course we’re talking Eddisson blades (also Personna). They are excellent!

Yeah, Personna are usually good blades for sure. One of puzzling things for me is where they are made - it’s literally all over the place! Haha! So my blade for example says Platinum Chrome but I have no idea anymore if these are my Israeli Reds, US made or the German one. They are good enough though. You should be able to use them for a week. For me usually slightly less - about 5 shaves and then I start to notice differences. Unless of course we’re talking Eddisson blades (also Personna). They are excellent!

That’s all really great info! Thanks for sharing.

Have not heard of Eddisson before. Now I have another blade to look into. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom