What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

I tried that rationale once, but she opened both our shoe cabinets and just had to point to explain mine versus hers.
Did someone mention something about shoes? Probably my biggest addiction after shaving...no wait, that would be clothes or would shoes be considered to be part of clothing? Ima gonna call them to be a subset of clothes, so I guess clothing would be my biggest area of acquisition disorder then followed by my shaving purchases.
But as I tell the Missus...The "Shoe" must go on....BADABOOM! Here all week guys.

tempImagerrfTPY.png

tempImageRyhm2b.png

tempImagesgWthy.png

Did someone mention something about shoes? Probably my biggest addiction after shaving...no wait, that would be clothes or would shoes be considered to be part of clothing? Ima gonna call them to be a subset of clothes, so I guess clothing would be my biggest area of acquisition disorder then followed by my shaving purchases.
But as I tell the Missus...The "Shoe" must go on....BADABOOM! Here all week guys.

View attachment 1852517

View attachment 1852518

View attachment 1852519
I like the boots...

Date27.05.2024
366 daily shaves
148/366

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle Rocca R94Super Max Blue Diamond (2)Mühle Rocca Silvertip
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (14)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (Minor redness)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
8.75/10
(BBS-)
8/10 (Smooth)

Notes:

Nice kickstart of the week with Mühle Monday - effective, comfortable and smooth. This razor is definitely in my top 5 of all time.

I tried to select a different brush, but whenever I use the Rocca I just have to bring out the entire set. It is such an amazing razor. Honestly. It ticks all the right boxes including an amazing and comfortable shave. I have literally always had great shaves with it. Worst shave according to my statistics was a DFS++ rather than a DFS+++ or BBS. BBS is much more common with this razor. And blade agnostic in current experience. The Blue Diamond on a second run today. Yesterday was good and I had some tiny red spots. Today with the Rocca all was well. Good performance. Looking very presentable for work indeed!

The Wool Fat was great again. The Silvertip loaded gently and provided a rich and thick lather with for me perfect hydration.

Freestyled my technique somewhat. Still diagonal but this time more with my beard growth map. Nice shave. Comfortably close I would say.

Next three days will be all about training colleagues become better versions of themselves. I love all aspects of my job, but this one has a special place in my heart - helping others help themselves. It is utterly rewarding and usually I am the one who learns the most from these blocks.

Enjoy your shave today!

Date28.05.2024
366 daily shaves
149/366

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCLSuper Max Blue Diamond (3)Abe’s Brush Works Saturn Synbad
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (15)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
6.5/10 (Nick/Cut)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
9/10
(BBS)
9/10 (Buttery Smooth)

Notes:

Blissful shave with the Timeless razor. Fantastically close and comfortable like I have grown accustomed to with this razor.

Blade is on its third run. It is nice, but I have had sharper/cleaner blades. It does a fine job, but I do have needle point red spots that I do not incur with other blades. Initial sharpness during the shave is good. Longevity of results is average (or my beard is growing at increased pace).

This brush has a phenomenal grip thanks to the unique handle. I believe my dad is most proud of this handle although I personally find his Blutt purplewood my favourite. The knots themselves are excellent and the lather this morning was fabulous as well.

This barbershop pattern (like barbers use when giving a straight razor shave - at least I see little difference in their patterns across different people) I am currently using is delivering great results. I did manage to scythe a pimple which bled like crazy for such a tiny spot. No biggy, just annoying. Very close shave.

Served a nice noodle dish for dinner yesterday. Stir fried chicken with soy sauce and carrots with leek. Pretty satisfied I made it work.

Enjoy your shave today!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Date28.05.2024
366 daily shaves
149/366

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCLSuper Max Blue Diamond (3)Abe’s Brush Works Saturn Synbad
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (15)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
6.5/10 (Nick/Cut)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
9/10
(BBS)
9/10 (Buttery Smooth)

Notes:

Blissful shave with the Timeless razor. Fantastically close and comfortable like I have grown accustomed to with this razor.

Blade is on its third run. It is nice, but I have had sharper/cleaner blades. It does a fine job, but I do have needle point red spots that I do not incur with other blades. Initial sharpness during the shave is good. Longevity of results is average (or my beard is growing at increased pace).

This brush has a phenomenal grip thanks to the unique handle. I believe my dad is most proud of this handle although I personally find his Blutt purplewood my favourite. The knots themselves are excellent and the lather this morning was fabulous as well.

This barbershop pattern (like barbers use when giving a straight razor shave - at least I see little difference in their patterns across different people) I am currently using is delivering great results. I did manage to scythe a pimple which bled like crazy for such a tiny spot. No biggy, just annoying. Very close shave.

Served a nice noodle dish for dinner yesterday. Stir fried chicken with soy sauce and carrots with leek. Pretty satisfied I made it work.

Enjoy your shave today!
I caught a blemish of some sort on my neck last night... The Timeless 0.68OC removed it perfectly.... Nothing observable this morning. A plastic surgeon couldn't have done better.

Date29.05.2024
366 daily shaves
150/366

RazorBladeBrush
Karve Christopher Bradley OC-CSuper Max Blue Diamond (4)Semogue Cherry Finest
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (16)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
6.5/10 (Multiweeper)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
7.5/10
(DFS)
9/10 (Buttery Smooth)

Notes:

Comfortable shave with the Karve, but with a few mishaps along the way. Less than usual end result overall. Still good looking in the office!

After some minor going back and forth on razor selection (maybe Kim @Phoenixkh is right after all and my RRA is actually a disorder - or maybe his projection thereof is working!) I settled for the Karve. Wonderful razor and in my stats exactly on par with my Rocca and Ti95 in terms of overall shave results. Razor specs are pretty much similar to the Greencult 2.II except the Karve is an open comb. The pairing with the Blue Diamond on 4 was less desirable, but that’s all on the blade. It is good, but it is also bitey with surprise. It doesn’t perform consistently for me. Out of the blue I get weepers or red on points. So I backed off slightly which is the reason for the less than usual results. I also have the impression this blade is giving me that rash on the corners of my mouth again, so I am inclined to use a different blade tomorrow - or may run in past my Allegro or Twinplex which I haven't so far in the Blade Bonanza to make sure we have the same context in terms of blade.

I used my Semogue today which actually makes for a wonderful German shave as a hats off to the previous owner of both these acquisitions. The Semogue has a very dense knot but is excellent for face lathering. Behaved a bit like a boar today, but overall very nice and soft to the face. My face anyway.

I tried to vary my XTG to make it more XATG to see if I could eliminate or at least reduce the head on ATG where I get most of my red spotted results from if these occur. But I concluded that I need ATG for my super smooth feeling.

Hopefully I will get some exercise done this evening - it has been a couple of weeks without and doesn't feel right.

Enjoy your shave today!

Date30.05.2024
366 daily shaves
151/366

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle R89Super Max Blue Diamond (5)Razorock 400 Aluminium
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (17)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)3/10 (Working Edge)
6.5/10
(DFS-)
6/10 (Tuggy)

Notes:

A very relaxing and comfortable shave. My face is happy.

After yesterday’s shave I wanted something milder to give my skin a little more rest. I had the blade loaded in my Athena, but last minute decided to go even milder and use the R89. This razor has been quite the surprise last year and I think it will be my travel razor going forward. Mild, smooth, yet anything but mild on my stubble. Effective shaver. I also stropped and honed the blade to see if that helps in reducing the negative sides. About 60 laps on the Allegro and some 100 laps on the Twinplex. That made the blade tug or feel rough, but actually also more predictable. This shave gave no surprise bites.

The aluminium original 400 is definitely a different brush from the butterscotch one. I love both. I love all my Plissoft brushes :thumbup: !!! Meanwhile I am also looking forward to June and start using the BSS#1.

Went lightly today and even thought of doing just two passes. The blade condition dictated my usual passes and touch ups to get to decent results. But actually better than expected. I feel sufficiently smooth and has absolutely zero aftershave sting - that was a nice surprise!

Enjoy your shave today!

Date31.05.2024
366 daily shaves
152/366

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda AthenaSuper Max Blue Diamond (6)Razorock Beehive
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (18)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)3/10 (Working Edge)
7.75/10
(DFS)
6/10 (Tuggy)

Notes:

Excellent shave with the Athena. Smooth operator and a joy to use and behold!

Final shave for May and we close another month of shaving in the books. Also the final shave for this blade which it should have been 3-4 shaves ago. The Athena gives extra blade clamping to force the blade to behave itself. Still tuggy but again a very decent shave with minimum aftershave feedback. Slightly better results then yesterday as well. I might even consider it DFS+. Very good performance by the Athena for sure!

Used another one of my Plissoft favourites. The Beehive is huge but the handle is great to hold and lathering is just a joy. Last use of the Wool Fat for now. At least on the face, I might use it for the Dome. Fantastic soap. Great longevity - I don’t think with 18 shaves I have made even a dent in the first puck. Thanks again @Lee Van Cleft for granting me the opportunity.

I am starting to really enjoy this barbershop pattern. It is very effective on the first pass and ATG is hardly needed unless you are a smoothness junkie like me. Looking forward to use this pattern during High Efficiency Razor Time!

Enjoy your shave today!

Date01.06.2024
366 daily shaves
153/366

RazorBladeBrush
Souplex OCSharp Super Platinum (1)Razorock 400
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
BSS #1 (1)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (Some red spots)5/10 (Sharp)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Opening High Efficiency Razors with the venerable Souplex OC I received in May. It was just one shave but man what a shave! Today was no different with a fresh platinum blade loaded. The blade felt sufficiently smooth and comfortable.

The Souplex was a very pleasant surprise (@Lee Van Cleft 🙏) when I unpacked my English Wool Fat soaps early May! The razor is so light and nimble that it flew across my face. Very comfortable first use of the Sharp Platinum blade. I am assessing this to be a sharp blade (no pun intended), perhaps razor sharp but I will stick with sharp for now - some minor redness during the ATG pass where the blade got a bit bitey, but I think it’s mostly on me as the operator. It’s way better than that Super Max Blue Diamond for sure.

Star of today’s shave is of course the artisan made soap by none other than Boris @blethenstrom. His signature soap BSS#1. This particular door I have graciously received has a wonderful sweet sandalwood light scent reminiscent to the wonderful Dr Jon sample Guido @JAHE sent me a while ago. That soap is unobtainium at the moment so who knows if Boris decides to go to market with his soap! Of course I had to use my butterscotch 400 as brush for obvious reasons. A little bit of water and I went to town face lathering. Almost instant lather. It feels very soft and nice to the skin with great post shave effects. A really well made soap! :thumbup: More shaves to follow obviously. I need to accustom to using a shave stick. I usually load from the puck.

@apshaveco knots have arrived in the Netherlands so my dad can knot three additional handles once the postman delivered them. One will have destination Canada :wink2: (funny, right, getting the knot from Canada and then sending it back to Canada).

Weather is typically Dutch at the moment so even early June we still have drizzle or rain. Grr.

Enjoy your shave today!

Date01.06.2024
366 daily shaves
153/366

RazorBladeBrush
Souplex OCSharp Super Platinum (1)Razorock 400
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
BSS #1 (1)Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (Some red spots)5/10 (Sharp)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Opening High Efficiency Razors with the venerable Souplex OC I received in May. It was just one shave but man what a shave! Today was no different with a fresh platinum blade loaded. The blade felt sufficiently smooth and comfortable.

The Souplex was a very pleasant surprise (@Lee Van Cleft 🙏) when I unpacked my English Wool Fat soaps early May! The razor is so light and nimble that it flew across my face. Very comfortable first use of the Sharp Platinum blade. I am assessing this to be a sharp blade (no pun intended), perhaps razor sharp but I will stick with sharp for now - some minor redness during the ATG pass where the blade got a bit bitey, but I think it’s mostly on me as the operator. It’s way better than that Super Max Blue Diamond for sure.

Star of today’s shave is of course the artisan made soap by none other than Boris @blethenstrom. His signature soap BSS#1. This particular door I have graciously received has a wonderful sweet sandalwood light scent reminiscent to the wonderful Dr Jon sample Guido @JAHE sent me a while ago. That soap is unobtainium at the moment so who knows if Boris decides to go to market with his soap! Of course I had to use my butterscotch 400 as brush for obvious reasons. A little bit of water and I went to town face lathering. Almost instant lather. It feels very soft and nice to the skin with great post shave effects. A really well made soap! :thumbup: More shaves to follow obviously. I need to accustom to using a shave stick. I usually load from the puck.

@apshaveco knots have arrived in the Netherlands so my dad can knot three additional handles once the postman delivered them. One will have destination Canada :wink2: (funny, right, getting the knot from Canada and then sending it back to Canada).

Weather is typically Dutch at the moment so even early June we still have drizzle or rain. Grr.

Enjoy your shave today!
I'm so happy that the soap is working out. I guess I'll have to make a batch to share some more. The scent was just one I bought on a whim. I kind of like it. Hopefully I can get more. I only got a 60 ml test bottle of it.

Top Bottom