What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I would sacrifice my entire razor collection if it would bring Doug back to us safe and sound. I think about him, his wife and kids every day.

I did attempt one GRUME month with only one issue: looking at all the photos of people’s amazing gear made me want to add to my “must buy” list.

At the moment, I only have one item on the list. Not bad when you’ve shaved a fortune. <eg>

Date31.12.2023
365 daily shaves
365/365
DecemBOAR28/31
DEcember31/31
Lasta’s Blade Stash11/32

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCLRK Stainless (3)FNX Barber
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Barrister + Mann Leviathan
Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10
(~20m)
10/10
(Clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8/10
(DFS+)
11/10
(GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. I could have been more effective during this shave, but shaving with my Ti95 is always extremely pleasurable. Smooth, comfortable, effective - a great way to kick off Sunday and the last day of 2023!

Razor and blade. I am not sure if the RK is the best match for the Ti95, but the shave was definitely smooth and comfortable. And although the Athena delivered a closer shave yesterday, it was also with a red spot here and there. No such thing with the Ti95. Its weight is also exactly in the sweet spot for me. So a great close to 2023 and looking forward to shaving a lot with this razor in 2024.

Brush and lather. My biggest brush loaded for 30 counts delivered 6 great passes of lather (3 face with touch up and 3 head). Excellent. And I even managed to get a consistency I get from any other soap. So this morning no mashmellow texture!

Technique. Consistent with yesterday. Less effective than yesterday, but still a very good shave. Would gladly repeat this - maybe with a slightly sharper blade.

Enjoy your shave and Happy New Year to all!
Congratulations on your 365/365!

Updating scoring charts

With 2024 starting fresh I am updating my scoring charts to reflect my current thinking. Specifically I am deleting efficiency as I seemed to have settled for a 20 minute the pass + touch up shave or a 10-15 minute 2.5 pass shave.

RatingConsistencyQualityComfortEffectiveness
10Carbon CopyCleanGlideFestBBS+ / Marble
9Significantly consistentRed spotsButtery smoothBBS
8Highly consistentMultiple weepersSmoothBBS-
7Very consistentNickComfortableDFS
6ConsistentCutTuggyDFS-
5Somewhat consistentMultiple cutsHarshCCS
4Fairly consistentDivotPullingCCS-
3Getting consistentMultiple divotsUncomfortableSAS
2Not consistentSweeneyStop shaving!SAS-
1FreewheelingSweeneysStop shaving!No shave

Date01.01.2024
366 daily shaves
001/366

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle Rocca R94RK Stainless (4)Mühle Rocca R94
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

Consistency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (Highly consistent)9/10
(Red spot)
8.5/10
(DFS++)
10/10
(GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. What a great way to start 2024! A very relaxing and excellent shave with fantastic gear!

Razor and blade. The RK is still delivering good results. I have noticed though that the sharpness of the blade is less than I have used in December and so stubble returns sooner. Still a good every day blade. The Rocca is quickly becoming a favourite. I blame @Trollky - not really! - for turning me into a Rocca fan boy :thumbup: it had just the right balance between comfort and effectiveness. And it fits my shaving apparently. Very very happy indeed.

Brush and lather. The Mühle brush is amazing. Less counts loading than before and still delivering great lather today. Soft and firm as the same time. A pleasure to use!

Technique. I paid more attention to my follow through from cheek to neck across the jaw line. The Rocca allows me to do that. Maybe that’s why I like it so much. Easily a razor to use every day and nothing else.

Enjoy your shave!

Glad you're dumping the "efficiency" aspect which to me simply equates to speed while shaving which is the antithesis to what shaving should be...relaxing, personal and as long as it needs to be. Good to hear about the Rocca, I've always had an off again, on again thing with that razor.
thumbs-up-gladiator.gif

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Date01.01.2024
366 daily shaves
001/366

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle Rocca R94RK Stainless (4)Mühle Rocca R94
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

Consistency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (Highly consistent)9/10
(Red spot)
8.5/10
(DFS++)
10/10
(GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. What a great way to start 2024! A very relaxing and excellent shave with fantastic gear!

Razor and blade. The RK is still delivering good results. I have noticed though that the sharpness of the blade is less than I have used in December and so stubble returns sooner. Still a good every day blade. The Rocca is quickly becoming a favourite. I blame @Trollky - not really! - for turning me into a Rocca fan boy :thumbup: it had just the right balance between comfort and effectiveness. And it fits my shaving apparently. Very very happy indeed.

Brush and lather. The Mühle brush is amazing. Less counts loading than before and still delivering great lather today. Soft and firm as the same time. A pleasure to use!

Technique. I paid more attention to my follow through from cheek to neck across the jaw line. The Rocca allows me to do that. Maybe that’s why I like it so much. Easily a razor to use every day and nothing else.

Enjoy your shave!

Confused! Your table looks like you used your razor as your brush...

Date02.01.2024
366 daily shaves
002/366

RazorBladeBrush
Timeless Ti95 SCLRK Stainless (5)Yaqi Lucky Dice
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

Consistency
(details here)
Quality / My process
7/10 (Very consistent)9.5/10
(Old red spot)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
10/10
(GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. A hair or two short of BBS, but what an awesome shave this morning!

Razor and blade. The RK is still performing nicely. I can definitely feel it is losing its sharpness, but nothing harsh or tugging at all, just a little less effective that’s all. But if you then combine it with the Ti95 that all becomes irrelevant. Superb glide and comfort today. Like being struck by Cupid’s arrow.

Brush and lather. Used one of my favourite brushes today and it lathered like the lather king it is. Wonderful splay and painting. Very soft to the face. It’s all gooood!

Technique. I paid attention again to my follow through and I used longer strokes (I am usually an ultra short stroker…hmm…that sounds weird, ok moving on…) maintaining contact between the blade and face. This is new territory for me, but I like that it makes me pay attention to pressure better.

Enjoy your shave!

Hi all (my first post, though I’ve been on here in “read only” mode, lurking, for quite a while—great forums and website). Just finished reading Guido’s story and SOME comments (133 pages!) along the way. As a relative newbie myself, great reading.

Also enjoyed reading “scores” from people and 365 day records and more! Thank you

Ezra

Hi all (my first post, though I’ve been on here in “read only” mode, lurking, for quite a while—great forums and website). Just finished reading Guido’s story and SOME comments (133 pages!) along the way. As a relative newbie myself, great reading.

Also enjoyed reading “scores” from people and 365 day records and more! Thank you

Ezra
Most welcome Ezra! And welcome to B&B. Feel free to ask any question - no question is too Wilde ;) .

Enjoy your progress! What gear are you currently using?

Cheers,

Guido.

Congrats on the year long GRUYERE thing Guido. Personally I have always found it to be a bit "cheesy". See what I did there? BaDaBOOM! And our next act is...
Seriously though, Congrats. The only thing I've been able to do successfully for a year is chalk up another birthday.

0b5.gif

Top Bottom