What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Hurry up with the ritual guys!

I have to clean up the crime scene, I meant mop the floor!
At least the GSB Cult doesn't BBQ people (The 'Burbs - 1989) What a great movie. :)

OIP.jpg

- Uncle Eric

Date06.12.2023
365 daily shaves
340/365
DecemBOAR05/31
DEcember06/31
Lasta’s Blade Stash09/32

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle Rocca R94Voshkod (1)Omega 10098 🆕
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Kox Dutchy Bergamot
Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8/10 (DFS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary - Another very fine shave today as I realised this is my 2 year DE shaving anniversary. A great way to celebrate with the Rocca.

Razor and blade - This is my very first time using a Voskhod blade (got them from a fellow Dutch shaver when getting the postwar Tech). The stories about this blade go either way. It’s like the blade equivalent of Tabac, Arko or the Veg. So I was actually really curious. Not so sure what the fuzz is about. I definitely had better blades, but it wasn’t bad either. Smooth and comfortable. One small weeper that disappeared when rinsing. No idea about longevity, so we’ll see. Not a keeper as I have better options available.

Brush and lather - Big Boar today. Loading was of course easy. Especially since I was very hard on the brush when it arrived yesterday. Two lathering treatments followed by plucking followed by towel stropping and drying. That definitely softened up the bristles. The smell is also less. Lather was great as was face lathering. Good grip on the handle. Loving it! It is a puck destroyer as I am entering the final laps with the Dutchy Bergamot. Also a lather hogger but that’s I think also because it is new.

Technique - Same. XTG: I have divided my neck into four quadrants rather than two. Upper part with the jaw is S-N and lower part is N-S using Gillette Slides of course. Forgot a small area on the touch up. So maybe jot so same after all.

Enjoy your shave!

Date06.12.2023
365 daily shaves
340/365
DecemBOAR05/31
DEcember06/31
Lasta’s Blade Stash09/32

RazorBladeBrush
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Kox Dutchy Bergamot
Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)10/10 (Clean)
8/10 (DFS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary - Another very fine shave today as I realised this is my 2 year DE shaving anniversary. A great way to celebrate with the Rocca.

Razor and blade - This is my very first time using a Voskhod blade (got them from a fellow Dutch shaver when getting the postwar Tech). The stories about this blade go either way. It’s like the blade equivalent of Tabac, Arko or the Veg. So I was actually really curious. Not so sure what the fuzz is about. I definitely had better blades, but it wasn’t bad either. Smooth and comfortable. One small weeper that disappeared when rinsing. No idea about longevity, so we’ll see. Not a keeper as I have better options available.

Brush and lather - Big Boar today. Loading was of course easy. Especially since I was very hard on the brush when it arrived yesterday. Two lathering treatments followed by plucking followed by towel stropping and drying. That definitely softened up the bristles. The smell is also less. Lather was great as was face lathering. Good grip on the handle. Loving it! It is a puck destroyer as I am entering the final laps with the Dutchy Bergamot. Also a lather hogger but that’s I think also because it is new.

Technique - Same. XTG: I have divided my neck into four quadrants rather than two. Upper part with the jaw is S-N and lower part is N-S using Gillette Slides of course. Forgot a small area on the touch up. So maybe jot so same after all.

Enjoy your shave!
Here I am waiting for a spectacularly interesting shaving report regarding the Voshkod and I get this.
Mr Bean Frustration GIF

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Congrats on two years!

I have been eying the Rocca for a bit now, but I don't need any more razors. I'm enjoying the heck out of the RR Lupo 72 currently. Do you have any means to compare the Rocca to another razor that I may have, like the Lupo or another RR offering?

Congrats on two years!

I have been eying the Rocca for a bit now, but I don't need any more razors. I'm enjoying the heck out of the RR Lupo 72 currently. Do you have any means to compare the Rocca to another razor that I may have, like the Lupo or another RR offering?
Hi Jay,

No sorry - I don’t think so. At least not at the moment. Other razors perhaps? Vintage ones?

Guido

Date06.12.2023
365 daily shaves
340/365
DecemBOAR05/31
DEcember06/31
Lasta’s Blade Stash09/32
RazorBladeBrush
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Kox Dutchy Bergamot
Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)10/10 (Clean)
8/10 (DFS)
10/10 (GlideFest)
Notes:

Enjoy your shave!
Congratulations on your second year Guido. I know you are an excellent shaver. It was near the end of my third year and I remember the shave. My technique and shave strokes acquired “The Soft Touch”. I guess it was muscle memory finally catching up to technique and strokes, or vice versa. All shaves since have been at a higher comfort level.

The stories about this blade go either way. It’s like the blade equivalent of Tabac, Arko or the Veg. So I was actually really curious. Not so sure what the fuzz is about. I definitely had better blades, but it wasn’t bad either.
The Voskhod had been my go to most used In the early going of my journey, (you’ll like this) campaigned blade.. I think I went a dozen shaves on one. I had already moved on to other blades Nacets and Bic Platinums, and I was just starting to try Feathers again. Unsuccessful the first time. It was when the Fatip Slant was introduced. I naturally selected a Voskhod for the first shave, it being my most familiar blade. I was shocked a broken bottle would have delivered a better shave. I never understood what dudes meant when they’d say a blade wouldn’t work in a specific razor. I now understood that. The Bic Platinum worked extremely well in the Fatip Slant for me. I wish I hadn’t bought that 100 pack of Voskhod’s. 😏

Congratulations on your second year Guido. I know you are an excellent shaver.
Thanks John! Coming from one of my shaving patrons I take that as a huge compliment!
My technique and shave strokes acquired “The Soft Touch”.
This is my next goal for sure. So coming year is about acquiring the Soft Touch indeed.
I was shocked a broken bottle would have delivered a better shave
I was fully prepared for such an encounter, but nothing of the sort. At least not this morning. It could very well be that the Rocca takes the blade really well so more research is necessary. Also curious what will happen in the second shave. A dozen times you say? Maybe.
I wish I hadn’t bought that 100 pack of Voskhod’s.
I will definitely not stock up. But I am glad I have a couple to try. Same goes for the Rapira blade. I have a few so I can try, but not inclined to get more.

Cheers!

And take a rest for your day tomorrow!

Guido

Top Bottom