What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

Very nice looking pair and same for the stand. Did your dad make that? Funny, I like Nacets...so far.
Hi Huck,

No this is a stand from my local brick and mortar shave shop. But they are available online as well as Mission Razor Stand (I have two of those, but they are a different size for brushes - which annoyed me as heck but ok). Come to think of it, this actual stand is one of those online ones.

I did play with the thought of having my dad replicate this one.

I don't straight shave anymore, but the kitchen knife sharpening is here to stay!

I find it very therapeutic.
I do as well. Honing razors to an excellent shave level I found to be so much more demanding. Especially when trying to remove deficiencies in the steel. I’m glad I tried straight razor shaving but it was too late for me. My physical issues with arthritis complicated the shave. The experience was still beneficial because it also improved my DE shaves.

Date05.12.2023
365 daily shaves
339/365
DecemBOAR04/31
DEcember05/31
Lasta’s Blade Stash09/32

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle Rocca R94Gillette Silver Blue (10)FNX Barber
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Kox Dutchy Bergamot
Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)10/10 (Clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary - Another excellent shave with the Rocca. Very worthy of being in the office with as was the case yesterday. Final run with this blade got rewarded with a BBS.

Razor and blade - GSB on 10 and I call it a day with this blade. I gave it a honing and stropping after the shave yesterday, but the tugginess on the first pass was present today as well. Still a very good blade with above average longevity and silky smooth performance. Would I now buy more? From where I am now with this blade no. Results are one thing, comfort is more important to me. During the shave that is awesome. Post shave however my skin would be agitated from shaving with the blade. At least I think it’s the blade and not the razor at this moment (given my earlier experiences with the Rocca).

Brush and lather - Latherinator this boar is! Wonderful lather. Great hydration. I was actually reading some older pages of my journal I came across @tjsgarden lathering method which I fondly call the tipdip lather method. And that’s actually what I was doing these past few shaves! It is somewhat of a hybrid between John’s method and Al’s @AimlessWanderer - thicker than Al, but with the slickness and hydration I get from his method. Loving it!

Technique - Constant and consistent patterns today. Some strays left, but I am calling it BBS. All good!

Enjoy your shave!

Last edited:
GSBs not getting a pass?!

@Osyri , @Balin , @Alum Ladd , @APBinNCA , @Jay21 , @Eric_75 , @cajunrph , @Ckmaui

You guys hold him down while I shave his eyebrows! (Probably the only patches of hair left on his head!)
For my punishment I will shave with a Voshkod tomorrow! In the Rocca! Forgive me oh Grand Master Biter!

My conclusion is no knock on the blade. It is excellent with great longevity. It left me with a harsher feel post shave that’s all. But more blades do that. I am on a blade acquisition restraint since early 2022 - stocking sticking with it!

And what’s my conclusion worth anyway. I am the guy that sort of likes Tiger Platinums remember?!

Post shave however my skin would be agitated from shaving with the blade. At least I think it’s the blade and not the razor at this moment (given my earlier experiences with the Rocca).
YA know... it might be the Rocca being that efficient. I have noticed that I did get some post shave sensitivity with my S-H Apollo, for example, as my blades get more experienced. I used my "Shadow" Vincent a couple of shaves ago and it's milder than the Apollo but still gave me a great shave but without the sensitivity I experienced on the last shave. I think the more efficient the razor is coupled with the blade losing sharpness may be a reason for some irritation depending on the blade. Feathers for me, just don't get past 4-5 shaves despite them being very sharp to begin with. I will be paying more attention to this now as I go forward with the ninja.
Cheers!

YA know... it might be the Rocca being that efficient. I have noticed that I did get some post shave sensitivity with my S-H Apollo, for example, as my blades get more experienced. I used my "Shadow" Vincent a couple of shaves ago and it's milder than the Apollo but still gave me a great shave but without the sensitivity I experienced on the last shave. I think the more efficient the razor is coupled with the blade losing sharpness may be a reason for some irritation depending on the blade. Feathers for me, just don't get past 4-5 shaves despite them being very sharp to begin with. I will be paying more attention to this now as I go forward with the ninja.
Cheers!
Good point Huck. Which might very well be around 4-5 shaves for this blade also going by experiences from other shavers. The fact that it remained sharp was my reason for continuing to use it (that and testing what limits I would encounter with this one).

Raven Koenes

My precious!
For my punishment I will shave with a Voshkod tomorrow! In the Rocca! Forgive me oh Grand Master Biter!

My conclusion is no knock on the blade. It is excellent with great longevity. It left me with a harsher feel post shave that’s all. But more blades do that. I am on a blade acquisition restraint since early 2022 - stocking sticking with it!

And what’s my conclusion worth anyway. I am the guy that sort of likes Tiger Platinums remember?!
No, don't do it. Friends don't let friends shave with Voskhod. :ohmy:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Razor and blade - GSB on 10 and I call it a day with this blade. Would I now buy more? From where I am now with this blade no. Results are one thing, comfort is more important to me. During the shave that is awesome. Post shave however my skin would be agitated from shaving with the blade.

Enjoy your shave!
These are my thoughts on GSB as well. :a49:

P.S. Brought to you by Rave, Co-founder and CEO at The Heretic Foundation. :a8:

Top Bottom