What's new

A newbie’s journey into DE shaving

Damn...I did too. Age...
britney spears GIF by hero0fwar

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Guido, do you know anything about the Canada NEW Regent razor? I've looked at Mr. Razor and googled it but the information is a bit scant.

Edit: I just got a note back from the seller.... The Canada NEW Regent is a long comb... They never did make a short comb version... That's sort of cool as now I'll have one long comb and one short comb... So I'll be able to form an opinion of which one is better for me... Opinions vary widely... It looks to be about half and half on B&B. But they seem to be very adamant about their preference.

I think I'm set for Vintage razors.. I'll have two Techs, both highly recommended: the UK Flat Bottom Tech and the Canada Pre-war Tech.... a Souplex, if it ever gets out of the UK... It's been sitting at Heathrow for over a week now. And two NEWs.. as I said, a Long Comb and a Short Comb.

I will keep my eye a birth year President, though the 1953 Y2s I've seen are pretty pricey....

Last edited:
Guido, do you know anything about the Canada NEW Regent razor? I've looked at Mr. Razor and googled it but the information is a bit scant.
Kim, no knowledge from me whatsoever. I find this thread:

But you might have already too. Looks like a regular NEW with a different handle (big boy/fellow like). The NEW is a mild shave to me and you have to be careful about the blade overhang - that’s usually larger than with modern razors and Techs for example. Other than that I have no additional insights.

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Kim, no knowledge from me whatsoever. I find this thread:

But you might have already too. Looks like a regular NEW with a different handle (big boy/fellow like). The NEW is a mild shave to me and you have to be careful about the blade overhang - that’s usually larger than with modern razors and Techs for example. Other than that I have no additional insights.

Guido
I did edit that post I made earlier..and you probably didn't see it as you responded quickly. Thx, Guido.

I did edit that post I made earlier..and you probably didn't see it as you responded quickly. Thx, Guido.
Sounds like you have some very nice things to look forward too! I have two long combs - one regular and one Flat Bottom - of the two I think the FB is more effective, but the regular is smoother in feel.

And a Souplex! Lucky you! I looked for and found great razors but as you may have read the stand owner ruffled my feathers the wrong way. Better for GRUYERE anyway, but boy did he have some fine razors!!

Date23.04.2024
366 daily shaves
114/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette NEW Flat BottomKCG China (4)Zenith 502B XSE
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (96)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
8/10 (Weepers)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
9/10
(BBS)
6/10 (Harsh)

Notes:

Summary. Approaching marble on the cheeks today, but the journey was less stellar.

Razor and blade. Blade going on 4 without blinking an eye. Very smooth and very comfortable. Feels like coming home almost. The combination with this razor is less splendid today. Did not see that coming. Very effective paired with a harsher/scraping feeling. As I mentioned earlier to Kim I believe my regular NEW is the smoother of the two, but they deliver the same shave results to me.

Brush and lather. Mike’s is steadily progressing as if I haven’t touched the puck at all. I think about half of the tub is left as we approach 100 shaves this week. Brush is wonderful and from dear friend Adam @flask28. It just takes connection on this forum to a whole new level for me when it’s a connection in the real world as well.

Technique. Decided to continue with my Gillette Slides for the WTG. Why not. Was fun yesterday and effective at that. I also did for the first time ATG Slides as well. For science of course. And I guess the red dots were for the sale of science as well. Either that or I stepped on the gas rather than going slow. Specifically on the right side of my face - I think because I am a lefty my angle of attack is different there. This morning stubble on the left was definitely less than on the right following yesterday’s shave. Yet at the same time this might be my smoothest result of this month. Approaching marble.

Date24.04.2024
366 daily shaves
115/366

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette UK Postwar TechKCG China (5)Yaqi Lucky Dice
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (97)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
9/10 (Small redness)6/10 (Razor sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
7/10
(DFS)
7/10 (Comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. An easy shave with purposely avoiding BBS to give my skin some rest.

Razor and blade. With the blade still going strong (with randomly inflicted red spots) I thought I would go for a slightly milder razor today although I think this postwar Tech is perhaps the most effective of the ones I have. Officially it’s a brass ball end Tech but I have replaced the handle with a favourite Lasta one. The ball end handle houses the mighty Matador. This combination proved less harsh than yesterday’s NEW. I am gonna say that this blade is unlike the original. There is smoothness and comfor missing - while it is still a good blade I think, but I would not gladly take this one double digits. At least not in the vintage razors I have tried so far.

Brush and lather. I hadn’t used this brush in a while and before the approval Plissoft brushes arrived it say forth in number two position as my favourite brush. Nowadays there is more competition - or still is a marvellous brush with no trouble building lather. At all. Soft with good splay. And the handle is of course gorgeous as well. Mike’s close to hitting 100 and delivering nothing but fabulous lather.

Technique. No doubt I have less stubble than usual so whatever the shave was yesterday it was effective. Not necessarily in longevity of the results, but very close indeed. Let’s see if I can replicate that today minus the sensitive skin afterwards. I used Gillette Slides for WTG and ATG again. This does lead to a scything motion on the more uneven part of my face. So I nicked a small bump I have on the right. And for some inexplainable reason I managed to nick my Adam's apple - which is an area I actually never shave, or only with some pulling away of my skin. I will revert back to my regular CB Curve for tomorrow's because I believe it is softer to my skin. Apparently there is something as too effective. I used to do the Four Pass Shave, so the number of passes is not the issue. The discomfort of the ATG Slide is. Three of the four passes in the Four Pass Shave are actually mostly WTG and only the last pass is ATG.

Top Bottom