What's new

A Newbie List: My Current Gear and Technique

Given the tremendously helpful response to my first post here, I thought I'd follow up with a post about my current shaving gear and technique. As always, all advice is welcome.

My current gear:

Edwin Jagger DE89L
Derby blades (five pack came with the razor)
Proraso Green cream
Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort Shaving Cream
Escali Badger Shaving Brush
A bowl in which to lather my shaving cream
Lab Series 3-in-1 Post Shave & Moisturizing After Shave Soothing Spray (I use one or the other each shave)

I also got a blade sample pack from West Coast Shaving that includes:
Feather New Hi-Stainless Platinum
Crystal or "Israeli"
Red Israeli Personna
Astra Superior Platinum
(haven't tried any of these yet)

Based on some great advice I read on this forum, I'm only switching one thing at a time instead of trying new blades and cream at the same time.

So far, I find the Truefitt & Hill to lather more easily than Proraso. I consider myself lucky to live in Chicago, a 15 minute walk from the only Truefitt & Hill location in the country, so I can get samples and sage advice from their experts.

I've also been to the Art of Shaving location on Michigan Avenue, but I found them totally clueless and rude. One saleswoman knew absolutely nothing about the different razors, blades and brushes they offered. She just pushed some samples on me to get me out the door.

My next upgrade will definitely be my brush. The Escali is quite scratchy and nowhere near as soft as the silvertip badger brushes at Truefitt & Hill. I'll have to save up a bit for that, as this switch to wet shaving is proving to be an expensive but very pleasurable indulgence.

I've been wet shaving for only about three weeks now. So far, so good. It's still taking me far longer than the 10 minute method from Mantic's video on YouTube. Today I got it down to just over 20 minutes with little irritation and only one small cut.

I always shower first, then shave at the sink.

Turning off the radio and listening to the sound of the blade on my whiskers turned out to be very important. It's how I know if I've got the angle right.

Avoiding any pressure on the razor has been the hardest lesson, but I'm getting better. 35 years of bad shaving makes for a lot of bad habits.

I've got dark whiskers and fair skin, so any stubble really shows. I'm using the three pass technique: WTG, XTG, ATG

Thanks to everyone here and to everyone who posts videos to YouTube. Without all of you, I'd have been too afraid of slicing my own throat to ever have abandoned the Schick Quattro I'd been using. I'm never going back, even if it takes me many months to perfect my wet shaving technique. I can already tell the results are well worth all the effort.

Nick

Welcome :biggrin1:

Sounds like you are doing things the right way, it's a fun journey with just a little blood required to please the shaving Gods.

I have been at this DE shaving thing for about 4-5 months now and I don't miss the Mach 3 one little bit .... worse I look forward to shaving every day!

awesome set up.
welcome.
u can also find badger brushes online. do your research first. I have an omega badger and saving up for a shavemac.
the escali is actually a good cheap entry brush

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Is that Nick Danger, Third Eye? LOL

You do not have to wait months to perfect your technique. It's a Zen process. The slower you go now, the faster you will improve. Best of luck.

Welcome to B&B

Nice set of tools and it sounds like you have things down to the point of getting decent shaves already.

Good job.

I also got a blade sample pack from West Coast Shaving that includes:
Feather New Hi-Stainless Platinum
Crystal or "Israeli"
Red Israeli Personna
Astra Superior Platinum
(haven't tried any of these yet)

Add Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum Blues to this list and you've got the 5 blades I've pretty much settled on using. I think you'll like these when you get around to trying them.

Keep up the good work.

Ben

Add Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum Blues to this list and you've got the 5 blades I've pretty much settled on using. I think you'll like these when you get around to trying them.

I'm still a little afraid to try the Feather blades. I've heard they are the sharpest, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad for a newbie like me.

I'm not having bad results with the Derby blades that came with the razor, but I don't have any basis for comparison yet. Guess it's time to take the plunge and try some of the other brands from my sampler.

Nick

You live in Chicago, that also means you live near Merz Apothecary, which I hear (on reddit) is also an excellent supplier of all things wet-shaving-related. I might have to make a trip there from NE Ohio-land to experience stores full of wet-shaving gear in person!

Welcome, welcome! Your initial setup seems lovely, far more luxurious than mine is. :D

You live in Chicago, that also means you live near Merz Apothecary, which I hear (on reddit) is also an excellent supplier of all things wet-shaving-related. I might have to make a trip there from NE Ohio-land to experience stores full of wet-shaving gear in person!

Welcome, welcome! Your initial setup seems lovely, far more luxurious than mine is. :D

I do indeed live a short ride from Merz, and I plan to pop in tomorrow when I'm up in that neighborhood.

However, as you noted, I've already splurged on my initial setup and probably need to curb the urge to try new stuff, at least for a little while. We'll see if my will power holds.

Nick

Top Bottom