What's new

A newbie, a Muhle R41 and an alum bar: how to yodel for dummies

There's no shame in having to learn on your own instead of heeding other's advice. YMMV. Let us know how it goes!

I decided that I won't give up until I have tried to shave at least a dozen times with it. Of course I don't expect to master the R41 so fast, but I would be happy enough to make some progress - say, to the point where I am not terrified of it anymore? :001_tt2:

is apply a tourniquet on neck before shaving is in the instructions?

lol! It isn't quite THAT bad. In my case, I was more bothered by the irritation than by the bleeding (until I had the brilliant idea of trying the alum bar).

Loved your post! I love my R41 (2 weeks), and have been DE headshaving for 6 months. You don't have to remember to be gentle... when the blade touches your face you get your first reminder. When the blade starts to sing, there's your 2nd reminder.

Stick with it!

I'm going back to the EJ89 tonight to see if I still like it... or if it deserves a new owner.

Good luck!

So, I am not the only reckless "newbie", it seems :biggrin1: What's the verdict after going back to the EJ89?

Great post. Your words make me glad that I went with the EJ89BA instead of the R41.

Honestly, if the R41 had been my first DE razor, ever... I think I would have considered going back to the Mach3. At the third pass, I almost felt as if I was using an ice scraper instead of a razor. But I know that it can't always be so bad... I just need to keep working on the technique :001_smile

If nothing else, the R41 will teach you a light touch.

Also, ATG on the second pass may be increasing the irritation. Have you tried WTG, XTG, ATG? That's the more usual sequence.

Since I've conquered the r41, I've been somewhat disappointed in every other razor I own. Nothing else shaves me as closely and comfortably. You've GOT to have the right blade in it though. It's gotta be sharp AND smooth.

Since I've conquered the r41, I've been somewhat disappointed in every other razor I own. Nothing else shaves me as closely and comfortably. You've GOT to have the right blade in it though. It's gotta be sharp AND smooth.

That's actually why I used the Personna Med Prep, I knew it to be fairly sharp and smooth from my previous experience with the Feather. Which blade(s) do you use with your R41?

Which blade(s) do you use with your R41?

Personna Med Preps and Labs, Feathers, Russian Perma-Sharps, and Racers work well for me. Today I used an Indian Permasharp in the R41, and it was great, too. That is one sharp blade -- though, I would imagine, not everybody's cup o' tea.

Personna Med Preps and Labs, Feathers, Russian Perma-Sharps, and Racers work well for me. Today I used an Indian Permasharp in the R41, and it was great, too. That is one sharp blade -- though, I would imagine, not everybody's cup o' tea.

I have the Personna (both Med Preps and Labs) and the Feathers, but not the other two. Next I would like to try the Bolzano and Timor. I also liked a lot the Shark, when I tried them with my Feather razor.

Update: today I did my second shave with the R41, using the same setup I used for the first one (Rudy Vey brush, Cella, Personna Med Prep). The results were much better.

I did 3 passes (WTG/WTG/ATG), and as a result only had 3 minor nicks and no weepers. My skin was still a bit irritated, mostly around my chin area and under my nose, but it was much more bearable than the first time. I was even able to use my alum bar without uttering any obscenity (though it did sting, still). I paid particular attention to the pressure but also to the angle, with the optimal one being much different from that of the Feather AS-D1. I am still not sure of why the R41 seems to tug the whiskers around my chin: time to change the blade? because I had a 3-days growth? my technique still needs to be refined? I will try next time with a new blade and see if it is better.

That's great! Give it some more time and it'll get even better. I think that part of the process, in addition to refining your technique, is to allow your face to adjust to the greater blade exposure. I believe this is generally true when making the transition from multi-blade carts to single-blade razors: your face needs time to adjust. Maybe a dermatologist among us can tell us if there is any scientific basis for this idea.

I received the R41 today waited for the postman patiently. Im 1 month in to DE but have experience as a cut throat shaver.

The R41 is a beast. It has given me the closest shave ever 3 passes finishing ATG. I have razor burn and a few nicks but boy the shave is close.

I think I will tame this baby and want to make it my regular shaver.

After reading another review it was mentioned that its similar to using a cut throat and thats the way I handled it with short light strokes and yes I found it very similar to a cut throat also.

Give the R41 respect and it won't bite. Next time I will use a very light touch. I was a bit heavy today as I wanted to experience what it can do.

Thank God for Alum block

I received the R41 today waited for the postman patiently. Im 1 month in to DE but have experience as a cut throat shaver.

The R41 is a beast. It has given me the closest shave ever 3 passes finishing ATG. I have razor burn and a few nicks but boy the shave is close.

I think I will tame this baby and want to make it my regular shaver.

After reading another review it was mentioned that its similar to using a cut throat and thats the way I handled it with short light strokes and yes I found it very similar to a cut throat also.

Give the R41 respect and it won't bite. Next time I will use a very light touch. I was a bit heavy today as I wanted to experience what it can do.

Thank God for Alum block

I admire your courage! I don't think I would have wanted to try the R41 at such an early stage :001_smile

With that said...

When I got the R41, I was determined on shaving with it at least ten times before deciding whether to keep it or get rid of it. I have now used it exactly eight times and the jury is still out, although I got a lot better. With the last three shaves, I had no cuts and no weepers, and very minimal irritation. I have recently stopped using the alum block because I decided I don't really care much for it, but nevertheless I can hardly spot any irritation, even on my neck. I still don't like too much how the R41 feels when I am shaving under the nose, it feels as it is pulling the whiskers a bit too much. At this point, I don't think I will get rid of the R41 because I agree that it shaves very closely with very minimal effort... but I still hope that I will find a way to reduce the tugging under my nose.

Another option is to use it only for 2 passes on the rush days. See YouTube geofatboy on using it for 2 passes. But to be honest I wouldn't want to use it a rush as it asks for more respect. Geo does the 2 passes in 4 minutes.

Top Bottom