What's new

A newbie, a Muhle R41 and an alum bar: how to yodel for dummies

After a few months of happily shaving with my Feather AS-D1, Proraso soap and EJ best badger brush (plus a variety of blades), I decided that I should get serious and try some other stuff. I mulled for a while what my next razor should be, undecided between the EJ89 and the Merkur Futur, among the others. At last, a great idea struck me: why not just go for the queen ***** of razors, the infamous Muhle R41 I kept reading about?

And so I went. I ordered an R41 Grande (because if I was going to laugh in the face of common sense, I decided I might as well do it in grand style). my first tub of Cella and a few blades I hadn't yet tried (Bolzano, Timor, Ladas, Voskhod), then impatiently waited for the package to arrive. In the meantime, I also received my long-awaited custom brush from Rudy Vey (I plan on posting pics later). Of course I had read before that it is wise to only change one item at a time, since it is otherwise impossible to determine how any single change affects the quality of the shave... but I was more bored than curious, too impatient to be cautious. So, after kissing logic goodbye, I also sped it along with a swift kick in the *** and decided to try, all at once, the new brush, the Cella soap and the R41 - although I loaded a Personna Med Prep that I had used once with my Feather.

In the beginning, everything went swimmingly. I loved the smell of the Cella soap (I can see myself getting addicted to it) and after figuring out that a more dense knot requires a little more product to lather up properly, I was ready for the R41 in no time. Now, I had researched the R41 extensively and scared myself properly by watching the "R41 blood bath" video on YouTube, so I can't say that I was exactly relaxed. Going from the Feather (which is considered by most a very mild razor) to the R41, the difference was huge. The very first moment the blade made contact with my face, I knew that I had to be careful, slow and delicate. The first pass, WTG, actually went surprisingly well, with only a minor nick (under my nose) and no visible irritation. Nevertheless, I still had a noticeable amount of stubble on my face and decided to apply a little more pressure during the 2nd pass, which I always do ATG... and that's where things went awry. At the end of the 2nd pass, I noticed that I had a couple of cuts on my lower neck and a handful of nicks on the right side of my chin. Even if the skin felt already raw and the shave was probably already close enough, I decided to push it and do one last pass, XTG, as I always did with the Feather. Halfway through it, however, I had to ditch my plans for an XTG pass, as my face felt like it was on fire: I finished my last pass going WTG again, which was a little more bearable. I then rinsed off, looked at how I had cut myself and judged that the final result, while bad, didn't look as gory as what I had seen in the aforementioned video. I considered for a second if I should use my Proraso Gel to stop the bleeding, but if the guy in the video had used his alum bar, why shouldn't I?

Holy.Smoke. I passed the bar near my chin, where I had all those little nicks, and the stinging sensation was bad enough to make me instantly change my mind. I put the alum bar down, jumped in the shower and let the water wash away the blood. After I was done, I applied a very generous amount of Proraso Pre & Post Shave Cream, which actually stung more than usual but was also more bearable than the alum bar and started providing some relief after a couple of minutes. A day later, I only see a couple of visible traces from yesterday's experience, but I am still not sure if I will shave again tomorrow (I normally shave every other day) or give my face an extra day to heal. I am determined to stick with the R41 for a while, since I want to give it a fair chance and see if I can improve my shaving skills fast enough before I get tired of the razor. In any case, I know that I can't follow my usual WTG, ATG, XTG routine with the R41 as I did with the Feather. Then again, with only a few months of DE shaving under my belt, I should have waited a little longer before trying such an aggressive tool.

Not planning on giving up at all - even if I am impatient, I even more stubborn :biggrin1:

Btw, we used to be neighbors... I lived for 10 years in Centex, first Killeen/Ft. Hood and then Austin :001_cool:

That R41 is no joke. It is a tool for experts. It can give the absolute best shave you will ever have, if used right. It will give the bloodiest, most harsh shave ever to the inexperienced hand.

You can't make the mistake of pressure. It will beat you up. Going for an extra close shave is too much for this razor, without serious experience, first.

Don't hesitate to shelve it for a few weeks and work on technique.

Good Luck

That R41 is no joke. It is a tool for experts. It can give the absolute best shave you will ever have, if used right. It will give the bloodiest, most harsh shave ever to the inexperienced hand.

You can't make the mistake of pressure. It will beat you up. Going for an extra close shave is too much for this razor, without serious experience, first.

Good Luck

My opinion is that the Feather and the R41 are so drastically different that I could perfect my technique with the former without necessarily being able to handle the latter. When I started shaving with the Feather, I still managed to get a few nicks and weepers, but now I don't anymore - like with everything else, practice makes perfect. I honestly chose the R41 on purpose, because I figured that if I can learn how to shave with it, I can probably shave with (almost) anything in the future. To be fair, I did get a very close shave with the R41, but for the time being I am willing to trade closeness for comfort.

Good Luck

I used it for about a week (pass around) and really liked it. I just took my time.

Yep, just a little... should have stuck to I-35, I knew I'd get lost :)

:lol: I think it would be cool to visit Asia, I hear Japan is really neat...

LOL on the thread title! Use a very shallow angle and go very slowly...cutting one hair at a time if you have to.

I plan on visiting Japan soon, since my gf's sister lives there :-D

I used it for about a week (pass around) and really liked it. I just took my time.

:lol: I think it would be cool to visit Asia, I hear Japan is really neat...

LOL on the thread title! Use a very shallow angle and go very slowly...cutting one hair at a time if you have to.

The angle is probably the thing I have to work on the most, since I read everywhere that the Feather is a bit different from most other razors. I hope I have better luck tomorrow... or whenever I find the guts to shave again :001_tt2:

I'll tace it back for you, so you can see where it went wrong...

why not just go for the queen ***** of razors, the infamous Muhle R41?
I was going to laugh in the face of common sense.
I decided to apply a little more pressure during the 2nd pass, which I always do ATG.
Even if the skin felt already raw and the shave was probably already close enough, I decided to push it and do one last pass.
If the guy in the video had used his alum bar, why shouldn't I?
Lol. You're brave though. But bad boy! No pressure! Stick with it though.
I theorize, that with such a harsh master, you'll also learn faster then at regular speed; since it's do or die, learn or suffer, obey or be punished. Next time decide to be willing to take 30min for only a 2 pass shave. REALLY take your time.
Hold the handle at the end lightly enough it almost falls, so only the weight of the head is working.
The plus site is if this works out for you this could be your last razor. I said could, because we all know it isn't.
"Yodeling dummy", custom title? No... But only because it is TOO humiliating though.:001_tt2:
Good reading, and good luck with going-where-no-noob-has-gone-before!

Last edited:
Even if the skin felt already raw and the shave was probably already close enough, I decided to push it and do one last pass...

And that's where I physically cringed in my chair. Been there, done that, though with a much milder razor than the R41. My sympathies to your poor face.

There's no shame in having to learn on your own instead of heeding other's advice. YMMV. Let us know how it goes!

hang in there dferrari!
it sure is not a razor for the faint of heart, but once you tame it, it's all great shave!
and remember...NO PRESSURE!

Loved your post! I love my R41 (2 weeks), and have been DE headshaving for 6 months. You don't have to remember to be gentle... when the blade touches your face you get your first reminder. When the blade starts to sing, there's your 2nd reminder.

Stick with it!

I'm going back to the EJ89 tonight to see if I still like it... or if it deserves a new owner.

Good luck!

I'll tace it back for you, so you can see where it went wrong...

Lol. You're brave though. But bad boy! No pressure! Stick with it though.
I theorize, that with such a harsh master, you'll also learn faster then at regular speed; since it's do or die, learn or suffer, obey or be punished. Next time decide to be willing to take 30min for only a 2 pass shave. REALLY take your time.
Hold the handle at the end lightly enough it almost falls, so only the weight of the head is working.
The plus site is if this works out for you this could be your last razor. I said could, because we all know it isn't.
"Yodeling dummy", custom title? No... But only because it is TOO humiliating though.:001_tt2:
Good reading, and good luck with going-where-no-noob-has-gone-before!

That's my theory as well: I either learn fast, or I will have no choice but going back to the Feather! I don't know how long my maiden shave with R41 took, but it certainly felt longer than usual. I am pretty sure that I was even holding my breath with each stroke, to minimize the chances of accidents. I think I was just emboldened by the relatively smooth first pass and got carried away with the last two - but I know better for next time :001_unsur

It is true that this could be my last razor, but I seriously doubt it. I am still thinking of the Futur and possibly a slant. And as far as the "Yodeling dummy" custom title... I hadn't thought about it, but I kinda like it! :biggrin1:

And that's where I physically cringed in my chair. Been there, done that, though with a much milder razor than the R41. My sympathies to your poor face.

If I hadn't had my Proraso Pre & Post Shave Cream (which I almost invariably use post-shave, only), it would have been worse. In case you have never tried, you should give it a shot :001_smile

Top Bottom