What's new

A new visual test for stropping

Hello everyone,

The most trouble I've had in my shave journey has been effective stropping technique. I use HHT and test shaves to indicate if the razor was well stropped but those tests don't help me with my technique. Its always hit or miss... literally! Techniques like how to hold the razor, how to apply pressure evenly along the entire bevel, long vs. short strokes, etc...

I came up with a visual test that follows the one a lot of us use when we mark a bevel before we hone. Except instead of a sharpie I use a Dry Erase marker. I mark the bevel and make a couple light passes on the leather, canvas or linen. The Dry Erase comes off quite easily but not too easily; it shows what parts of the bevel are making a good connection with the strop components. This has been a game changer for me as I try to perfect my technique and make those edges last! I hope it may be of help to some of you also.

You can purchase Dry Erase markers at almost any office supply, big box or hobby store as well an online. Just make sure they are the kind of markers used for dry erase boards ONLY and NOT the permanent type that we use when honing.

That’s an interesting idea. I do the same on my stones, so why not on my strop? I cant see that it would hurt a strop.

Does the marker leave anything on the strop that would discolor it?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Who cares about discoloration? It's a tool. All I would be concerned about is whether the ink would eventually impact the strop's performance. In fact I think I will let my grand-niece scribble some "artwork" on my Kanayama. It just looks so plain and unadorned somehow. Like something is missing and nobody notices or cares.

NOT! LOL

I use a Kanayama 60k. I don't see any marker being left behind on the canvas. I have seen some specks on the cordovan. I used the sleeve of my t-shirt to brush them off.

Hello everyone,

The most trouble I've had in my shave journey has been effective stropping technique. I use HHT and test shaves to indicate if the razor was well stropped but those tests don't help me with my technique. Its always hit or miss... literally! Techniques like how to hold the razor, how to apply pressure evenly along the entire bevel, long vs. short strokes, etc...

I came up with a visual test that follows the one a lot of us use when we mark a bevel before we hone. Except instead of a sharpie I use a Dry Erase marker. I mark the bevel and make a couple light passes on the leather, canvas or linen. The Dry Erase comes off quite easily but not too easily; it shows what parts of the bevel are making a good connection with the strop components. This has been a game changer for me as I try to perfect my technique and make those edges last! I hope it may be of help to some of you also.

You can purchase Dry Erase markers at almost any office supply, big box or hobby store as well an online. Just make sure they are the kind of markers used for dry erase boards ONLY and NOT the permanent type that we use when honing.

That is an interesting idea. I however, would never do that to my strops.

Top Bottom