What's new

A new undertaking for me.

So with this shaving hobby I've started paying more attention to ingredients in products such as my aftershaves and the best ones are simple really IMO. So I've started myself a project that will take me some time to see through to completion. I've planted quite a few herbs. I plan on harvesting those herbs and making a still to distill certain ones for essential oils and hydrosols. I'm also going to do the same with Witch Hazel Shrub and make my own witch hazel. Once I'm there I'm going to work on doing my own aftershaves and who knows, maybe soaps or candles or something. It's all fascinating to me. I was just wondering if there are others on here that have similar interests I suppose.

I make my own soap, definitely doesn't save any money but I enjoy it. I know what's in it, and I can make it in scents that I enjoy. I'm fortunate to live in the home town of a supplier of soap making materials so I don't have to wait on the UPS delivery on my goods.

I've kicked around the idea of making my own bay rum, get a cheap bottle of vodka and do the extraction thing. I'm really wanting to make my own vanilla extract too, same idea, take a shot or two out of the bottle, soak a few beans in there for a couple months or more.

Yeah I've heard of soaking Vanilla beans in Vodka to make an extract. I wonder if they can be steam distilled like other plant matter.

Looks like it's not possible to steam distill them. Oh well. I'm planning on doing Bergamot, Lavender, Jasmine, Pineapple Mint, Peppermint, Spearmint, Lemon Verbena and Lemon Thyme to name a few.

Top Bottom