What's new

A New Straight Razor Shaver Is Born!

It has happened! It finally clicked! By George, I think heMs got it!!!

After ALL the irritated skin, cuts, weepers, scabs, and days of looking like I fought a house cat and lost, it FINALLY HAPPENED!!!

Today I had the best shave I’ve had to date with no blood, no irritation, no nothing but refreshment!

Two key factors I would press to new shavers:

1) Master the strop! The strop matters. If you have a lousy pre-shave strop, you are (I was) more prone to tugging. Don’t over strop. Just listen to the razor & let her plateau for a bit in the audible sweet spot. When you get it, you’ll know what I mean!

2) Angle! Angle! Angle!!!!! I shifted my “mindfulness” from the fear of cutting myself and how I was holding the razor with my fingers to angle. Angle matters! They say 30° is ideal, but I wouldn’t focus on the number of degrees & do what I did- go vertical / flat against your face & ever so slightly barely raise the spine off your cheek and go from there. Find that sweet spot. Once you find that angle, you can kiss your skin irritation and “when is the straight razor shave going to get as good as a safety razor shave?” GOODBYE!!!

I DID have a question:

Is anyone else a circus freak like me and “cross-draw”? I’m using my right hand to shave the left side & using my left hand to shave the right side EXCEPT the upper lip & chin. Anyone else do that? I’ve seen instructional after instructional & this ended up being more comfortable for me.

I only own 2 razors, a West Coast Shaving company 5/8 & some vintage German made stubby. I’ve pretty much been shaving with the stubby, just got the 5/8 in the mail & wanted to put it on a pasted basswood strop before trying it- this stubby is pretty awesome! I see all the big wedges and big honkin’ Spanish tips, but this thing reminds me of “the noisy cricket” from Men In Black 😃😀

At any rate, today was the EUREKA!!! day and have answered the question of “when does it feel like a safety razor shave?!?!” Answer: when you master both the strop and the angle.

7333D8D1-AD46-4DED-8273-EE8FABDA01E5.jpeg
FCC23203-3DE3-4193-8C2A-5B9980C6CF95.jpeg
03949AD9-33DA-463A-BAD9-536B5BA16568.jpeg
7A444090-AB35-4371-B377-C6F019E67FF5.jpeg
4B65159A-58D1-4F50-AAD5-1595C9A555A4.jpeg
1303AEB5-6F15-4C88-898C-FC037CA21BAF.jpeg
71BEDFE7-8619-41A7-AB9E-2E3BAD5305E6.jpeg

After ALL the irritated skin, cuts, weepers, scabs, and days of looking like I fought a house cat and lost, it FINALLY HAPPENED!!!

Today I had the best shave I’ve had to date with no blood, no irritation, no nothing but refreshment!

1) Master the strop! The strop matters. If you have a lousy pre-shave strop, you are (I was) more prone to tugging. Don’t over strop. Just listen to the razor & let her plateau for a bit in the audible sweet spot. When you get it, you’ll know what I mean!

2) Angle! Angle! Angle!!!!! I shifted my “mindfulness” from the fear of cutting myself and how I was holding the razor with my fingers to angle. Angle matters! They say 30° is ideal, but I wouldn’t focus on the number of degrees & do what I did- go vertical / flat against your face & ever so slightly barely raise the spine off your cheek and go from there. Find that sweet spot. Once you find that angle, you can kiss your skin irritation and “when is the straight razor shave going to get as good as a safety razor shave?” GOODBYE!!!

I DID have a question:

Is anyone else a circus freak like me and “cross-draw”? I’m using my right hand to shave the left side & using my left hand to shave the right side EXCEPT the upper lip & chin. Anyone else do that? I’ve seen instructional after instructional & this ended up being more comfortable for me.

I only own 2 razors, a West Coast Shaving company 5/8 & some vintage German made stubby. I’ve pretty much been shaving with the stubby, just got the 5/8 in the mail & wanted to put it on a pasted basswood strop before trying it- this stubby is pretty awesome! I see all the big wedges and big honkin’ Spanish tips, but this thing reminds me of “the noisy cricket” from Men In Black 😃😀

At any rate, today was the EUREKA!!! day and have answered the question of “when does it feel like a safety razor shave?!?!” Answer: when you master both the strop and the angle.

View attachment 1091043View attachment 1091044View attachment 1091045View attachment 1091046View attachment 1091047View attachment 1091048View attachment 1091049
Amazing when that light bulb finally goes off isn’t it?

That is the one. Great detailer. With the current Dovo news you should grab one while you can. Mine is the stainless version. Knife Center had attractive pricing last time I looked.

That is the one. Great detailer. With the current Dovo news you should grab one while you can. Mine is the stainless version. Knife Center had attractive pricing last time I looked.
From what I read, it looked like Merkur was going to pull out of their bankruptcy just fine, didn't look like anything else was going on~ It's definitely going to be on my Christmas list this year. If not, the Portland Razor Co. has a nice Spanish point I've also been oogling.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

I DID have a question:

View attachment 1091043View attachment 1091044View attachment 1091045View attachment 1091046View attachment 1091047View attachment 1091048View attachment 1091049
Congratulations! After a time, you will be amazed at how much more wonderful it actually is.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

I DID have a question:

By the way Tigerz, I expect to be moving to the Clemson area sometime this summer. Charlotte has encroached too much on Fort Mill. Looking for a more peaceful life.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Clemson Tigerz, you may not right now think it possible but it only gets better.

Maintaining your blade with about 50 passes on a 0.1u pasted hanging balsa strop after each shave will mean no more honing - ever (except for physical damage) and your blade's edge will just keep on improving. For how long, I don't know.

By the way Tigerz, I expect to be moving to the Clemson area sometime this summer. Charlotte has encroached too much on Fort Mill. Looking for a more peaceful life.

You’ll like it- it’s a rural area- good change of pace out there- excellent BBQ places to eat out-

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
You are all much braver than I. Congrats on a great start and success with something I am straight up too chicken to try.

You are all much braver than I. Congrats on a great start and success with something I am straight up too chicken to try.

I’ll admit, the first time, it was scary. The first few times there’s blood.

Once you snap out of it and realize that your angle matters as much as the quality of the job you do when you strop- you hear the “ding!” when the light comes on.

When you first start, just go ONLY with the grain. One pass. That’s it. Do that for 2 weeks worth of shaves. Get used to holding it, etc- It comes when you strop good & remember your angle- you’re solid!

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Hmmmm... Maybe some day. But until, and well after, my hat is off to all you straight users.

Top Bottom