What's new

A New Slant . . .

Finalizing the purchase of a vintage slant today . . .

So, in terms of technique, just shave as normal? Or are there tricks of the trade with these things?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Finalizing the purchase of a vintage slant today . . .

So, in terms of technique, just shave as normal? Or are there tricks of the trade with these things?

Shave as normal. Adjusting can defeat the design. For me a steep or design (neutral) angle works best. Don't change what you're doing, if what you're doing already works, for the slant. Ignore that it's a slant.

What slant?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Also, thank you for confirming my thoughts. I figured that "business as usual" was the way to go, and that the design was meant to adapt to the slight imperfections that exist on the skin's surface while making a pass.

I found that the big advantage with my 39c is that it has a flat “face” that makes the optimal shaving angle clear. There was zero learning curve and it is my go to razor when I have several days’ growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had zero issues when I got my 37c. I didn't do anything different other than get my best shaves ever.

Enjoy the new hardware.

I should've started my journey with the Merkur 39c, but am now considering Muhle R41g for less passes. No pressure should be applied. Breathe.. :)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I used a Merkur 37C for the first time last week. The first shave was only just. The shaves got better during the week but I don't think that I will be using one as an everyday driver. Just not for me, but they work for others.

Thanks, all . . . just waiting on the shipping details to come through. My hope is that the geometry of the slant design will assist with some trouble spots on my neck. We shall see . . . hopefully by next weekend.

The thing about slant is, most people can't use it everyday in a comfortable way.

It's one of those once every few days kind of razor.

I don't know what slant you bought but that's the case for my 37C.

The thing about slant is, most people can't use it everyday in a comfortable way.

This would not be a "daily driver" for me. Purchase was made to try and solve an issue in a specific spot on my neck area, but also because the type of razor is one I do not yet own, and it's a beauty looking piece.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I have no idea that most people can't use a slant every day. Probably most people don't use a slant every day, but there's nothing inherent to slants as a group which precludes their daily use assuming one knows how to use a safety razor and understands how to use a slant.

I've not used a 37C. It might not suit me either as daily driver, but that is just one slant.

Last Slantember a bunch of guys shaved with slants for the month. I don't recall any complaints by the gentlemen using the razors, and know a lack of comfort wasn't a problem widely discussed. It's possible the group of guys participating was atypical but I doubt it.

Some slants are mild in the sense of being very gentle on one's skin. Some are more aggressive in the sense of being more prone to biting. Some are more or less efficient. All that is also true of safety razors in general.

I would not want to use an iKon X3 daily, but the ATT slant would be a fine daily driver for me, and for most gentlemen in my experience of it, and from my reading of the experiences of others. The PBOCS would also fit into that daily driver category. Those are just a few examples.

If I had to take just one DE safety razor to an island for a year some slants would be strongly considered, and, for me, getting a Damn Comfortable Shave, is the number one priority.

Happy shaves,

Jim

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I have no idea that most people can't use a slant every day. Probably most people don't use a slant every day, but there's nothing inherent to slants as a group which precludes their daily use assuming one knows how to use a safety razor and understands how to use a slant.

I agree, why is it that some members feel they can't use it daily? I do, I've used 'em for months on end (Merkur 37, 37C, Hoffritz), no problema. Smooth.

I feel if you can't use a razor every day then you are doing something wrong or have a bad razor.

I use my 37c exclusively. I gave away all of my razor except my 23c when I got my slant. I don’t have any issues with it.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
My inbound razor is one of the ones you mentioned . . . the rarer one.

Something like this?
full

Top Bottom