What's new

A new Ruger...

Okay, I'm actually pretty excited about this one... so much so that I ordered one. First gun I've picked up in about 6-8 months!!

Brian Pearce (one of my favorite gun writers) recently wrote an article for Handloader about a new flat top Blackhawk (small frame) in .45 Colt/.45ACP that was a limited run for a distributor called Lipsey's. I had my local dealer call and order me one of the blued guns with a 5.5" barrel. I can't WAIT!!

Here is a link to Lipsey's and the gun I ordered... LINK

Anyone else pick one up or think they are as good an idea as me?

THANKS!

Tom

So how do you shoot the .45 ACP, or rather how do you load? I'm wondering if you're going to headspace off the mouth or do you have to pull the cylinder pin to unload/load the cylinder full of moon clipped ACPs?

So how do you shoot the .45 ACP, or rather how do you load? I'm wondering if you're going to headspace off the mouth or do you have to pull the cylinder pin to unload/load the cylinder full of moon clipped ACPs?

You get a second cylinder with the gun. I'm pretty sure it head spaces off the mouth of the cartridge. I'm thinking of having my .45 ACP cylinder milled to also accept .45 RIM. I have another Ruger Blackhawk with a .45 acp cylinder and it shoots good.

Tom

I don't own any handguns but do own Ruger stock...so keep buying!:wink2: Seriously, they design & manufacture great products.

I doubt you would have to have it milled in order to work with the .45 Auto Rim cartridges. .45 Auto Rim should work just fine since the cylinder in the photo is already flat backed and I imagine the cylinder to recoil sheid gap is the same between your LC and ACP cylinders to allow use of a rimmed or moon clipped cartridge?

There is not enough clearance to shoot the .45 Auto Rim.... at least thats what Brian Pearce said in the article. Could have easily been done at the factory, but they didn't.

Tom

Well that's too bad. It would have been neat to be ready from the factory to fire three different cartidges.

Very pretty, Tom!!!

I wish I would have bought one of the Old Style Vaqueros, but I never got around to it. Very nice purchase, you'll love shooting the 45acp through that. I have a couple S&W 1917s and it is really a fun round through them!

Jay

That's sharp looking! I especially like the ACP flexibility. Shooting .45 Colt can get pricey (said the guy with a 1937 7mm Mauser Winchester Model 70).

That's sharp looking! I especially like the ACP flexibility. Shooting .45 Colt can get pricey (said the guy with a 1937 7mm Mauser Winchester Model 70).

Since I handload, its really about the same. I load for .45 Colt and .45 ACP and cast my own bullets for both. I think I'm going to really like this one!!

Tom

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
If you were in a hurry or did not want to switch cylinders, could you still moon clip the .45ACP and shoot them out of the .45 LC cylinder? Not sure why you would but I was just curious.

If you were in a hurry or did not want to switch cylinders, could you still moon clip the .45ACP and shoot them out of the .45 LC cylinder? Not sure why you would but I was just curious.

No way that would work, Scott. The single actions can only load & eject one round at a time. To use a full moon clip the cylinder would have to be cut and recessed and even then you would have to swap the whole cylinder to unload and reload. Some people used to recess the cylinders for 45 Auto Rim, but these days it would probably cost more for 45 Auto Rim brass than Long Colts since the rise of Cowboy Action shooting.

Jay

Jay

Here is a pic of it...

proxy.php

Not sure about the fake ivory grips... going to have to replace them with something a bit nicer!!

Can't wait to shoot it!

Tom

Top Bottom