What's new

a new razor which one?

With a Merkur HD...what is the difference between the Classic HD and the Open Comb? :confused:

A "regular" HD head looks like this:
full

An open comb looks like this (notice the teeth on the bottom, left piece):
full

The open comb was (to my understanding) Gillette's original creation, and the design evolved to the solid, toothless piece. If you search the forum, there are a couple of older threads that explain the reasoning behind the open comb design.

From a usability standpoint, I greatly prefer the bar model over the open comb. It is more comfortable on my face and seems to glide a bit easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are capable of shaving with a DE without cutting yourself, then you will have no problem changing the blade!

Great way to put it. All of the complaints I've read about the Futur are unfounded/blown out of proportion IMO. It is HEAVY, and shaves smooth and close! Closer than any other DE I've used up until this point.

If you are capable of shaving with a DE without cutting yourself, then you will have no problem changing the blade!

I tend to agree. You just have to think about it.

And people complain that it does not hold the blade securely. I was concerned about this, but playing with it, determined that it is really plenty secure for what it needs to do.

I actually find the blade holding method a fairly elegant piece of engineering.

-Mo

Top Bottom