What's new

A New Player in the Brush Biz - Vintage Blades Brand

I have been using mine for about a week now. It has yet to shed a hair, and it works wonderfully. More people should know about this excellent brush.

It's fantastic for me face lathering. I usually don't bowl lather but maybe I should try...just to see. Thanks again for bringing this one up Bob!

It's fantastic for me face lathering. I usually don't bowl lather but maybe I should try...just to see. Thanks again for bringing this one up Bob!

I've been using a new Rooney Heritage Alibaba 1 in two band the last few days and it has the very same feel as the VB. Namely, the brush is very scratchy when dry, but it has soft, gel like tips when wet....and the hairs have hooked tips.

Last edited:
Yep, I have the same above assessment- gel hair, dry crispy hooked tips. This brush is an astounding value. If they had an extra stuffed 28mm, I'd be in heaven. I don't know if this hair is the product of a type of treatment, or harvested hair from a particular season, but brush makers need to zero in on it so it is always available- not just from random batch to batch.

I've been using a new Simpson Heritage Alibaba 1 in two band the last few days and it has the very same feel as the VB. Namely, the brush is very scratchy when dry, but it has soft, gel like tips when wet....and the hairs have hooked tips.

Did you mean Rooney Heritage Alibaba?

I just ordered the VB132 (faux Ivory) two-band finest badger. I'll give my impressions after I give it a go. This sounds like an exceptional value. Thaks for the information on Vintage Blades' brushes.

VB132
Overall brush height: 102mm
Handle height: 50mm
Brush Loft: 52mm

Knot diameter: 22mm

Well, I just ordered a VB135 24mm 2-Band in Ebony since I don't have an ebony brush in my rotation. You gents are a bunch of enablers! I'll give the good word once it arrives in a few days.

Overall brush height: 107mm
Handle height: 52mm
Brush Loft: 55mm
Knot diameter: 24mm

I've joined the crowd, too. Ebony 22mm that arrived about a week and a half ago. I face lather with mostly Italian croaps (Razorock, Valobra, Omega, etc.). Results have been outstanding. The brush is good enough that my family of seven is about to become a family of two: the VB and a beautiful, scrubby Rudy Vey re-handled Omega 40033. The VB brush is an outstanding value!

Well, I just orded the 22mm in Ivory. Hope it gets here soon and lives up to the rep! My only other badger brush is a VDH which I find a bit scritchy. I love my Omega 49 and maybe this brush will be on par with that. I'll post my thoughts when I get it.

I don't even have mine yet, but I'm confident that you will love it going from your VDH and Omega to a brush with this type of soft 2-band hair. You'll finally understand what the word luxury means when it touches your face. The first time I experienced that was going to a Simpsons Commodore X2 from my VDH I used for years.

Enjoy!

Yep, I have the same above assessment- gel hair, dry crispy hooked tips. This brush is an astounding value. If they had an extra stuffed 28mm, I'd be in heaven. I don't know if this hair is the product of a type of treatment, or harvested hair from a particular season, but brush makers need to zero in on it so it is always available- not just from random batch to batch.

Bleaching can cause the tips to become very soft and have that tell tale hooked tip. I am sure these tips are well treated, as are Thäters, and make for a heavenly face feel IMO.

Just got mine! 20mm, lathered it up with some RazoRock soft soap (violet)... Wow! Felt great, plenty of backbone, soft tips. Cant wait to use it again tomorrow. Might've found something for my dad for christmas? 24mm, black handle? lol

First time trying the RazoRock. This stuff is amazing, might be my new favorite? Easy to lather, slick, protective, smells great, and my face feels awesome a few hours later. No aftershave or anything.

Got mine last night. All I can say is, wow. My existing EJ BBB has provided wonderful lather, but has more scritch and less backbone than the VB. My EJ and VB are listed as having the same knot dia. of 22mm and both have similar lofts of 52mm for the VB vs. 53mm for the EJ. The smoothness of the VB is just remarkable to me. For those of you familiar with silvertip brushes you may be accustomed to that experience, but for me it was a revelation. The added backbone was also wonderful for loading several different soaps too. Why am I giving this comparison? Because they are in similar price points and could both fill the needs of a first time brush buyer. From my experiences in the last 24 hours and based on the price of the VB, my recommendation is pretty easy.

I am beginning to get a better understanding about all the fuss over high end brushes 2-band brushes. This VB will either be the culmination of my search, or a gateway to something . . . a . . . more expensive. I'll let you be the judge!

Thanks to Beginish for brining this new brush to my attention and to German for his detailed and insightful reviews on a couple of threads he started recently.

Last edited:
Top Bottom