What's new

A New Player in the Brush Biz - Vintage Blades Brand

Today I bowl lathered Musgo Real Oakmoss cream. A small dollop squeezed from the tube was all that was necessary to whip up the lather you see below in short order. Excellent shave as well.

$photo.jpg

I will continue using this brush over the next week to see if it has any foibles or starts dropping hairs at a prodigious rate (all of 4 hairs lost over 5 latherings so far), but my preliminary verdict is that for under $30, this may be the best badger available that you don't have to make yourself. There is no reason to suffer through a prickly lathering with a "pure" badger brush, when for the same price (or less), you can get a 2 band badger brush with super soft tips and can bowl or face lather hard soaps, soft soaps and creams. This is a great brush for a noob to traditional wet shaving to try. It certainly won't break the bank, and given my experience with Vintage Blades, if there is ever a quality control issue, I fully expect Jim to stand behind his product.

excellent news. like you said, especially for those on a budget and wanting to get a badger.

Here's hoping they go over well in the marketplace, and expand the handle selection and maybe even materials (faux horn etc).

either way, looks like a great brush for the price.

Sounds like a winner for a fair priced entry level 2 band badger brush.

About time something came along to fill the under $40 price point for a good brush

I'd like to see this side by side with a Frank. Frank still offers a good value in this same price range but they don't seem to be approved by the clique. I have a sneaking suspicion that this brush & Frank are coming out of the same place. From my experience this is good as my frank finest is really good. Used it this morning actually. Still working great after 2 years! Enjoy it.

Beginish - Thanks for your reviews on this brush from VB. I've been wishing I had another brush similar in size to a 25x52mm M&F that I love, for days when the M&F is in "dry out" mode. I don't expect the same quality experience from the VB "finest" as I get with the M&F blonde badger, but considering the price and your description of the VB's backbone, flow through and tips I placed an order for a 24mm VB. Thanks, again!

I'd like to see this side by side with a Frank. Frank still offers a good value in this same price range but they don't seem to be approved by the clique. I have a sneaking suspicion that this brush & Frank are coming out of the same place. From my experience this is good as my frank finest is really good. Used it this morning actually. Still working great after 2 years! Enjoy it.

You can always buy one and do the comparison yourself.

Back on topic, I'm very interested to hear others' impressions of these brushes once they're in broader use.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
TBH, the box, label stickers, & knot all scream Frank Shaving to me. It's also interesting that this is the same price range that I paid for my Frank finest a couple years ago. My Frank is good, and the similarities here are astounding. I'm curious to hear more.

Other than the knot, there is a striking resemblance.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Well, I ordered one. It shipped yesterday (Nov 19), but the "that's logistics" company won't be able to get it to me until next Monday (Nov 26), according to their tracking. Since I'll be out of town that week, it will be Friday (Nov 30) before I get it.

If it had been shipped "if it fits, it ships", it would have cost less and got here faster.

I'll let y'all know some time in December how it does. :biggrin1:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I saw this brush yesterday, and it struck me as an astounding value. It's taco grease proof, too.

Nice find, Bob.

I tried mine out this afternoon with a dab of T&H Grafton. Out of the box it seemed scratchier than my other best badger brush. However, once it was loaded it was entirely different. I see what people mean by "backbone" and "jell-like tips"

Positive first impression...I will have to try this out in some soaps next...

I don't know who the maker of this brush is, but whatever Jim has them doing works really well, IMO. I've used the brush over the last week and have been extremely pleased with it. It delivers a very nice quality two band brush at a very affordable price. This is a great choice for a first badger brush.

beginish, any idea if these brushes are made by Li JUn?

Nemo seems to have hit on a point. I would venture to guess Frank Shaving.

I'm not sure who makes them. The handle shape is a classic one, and I've seen versions of it from Frank, Shavemac and QED. If you compare the very bottom of the handles in nemo's post, the VB is slightly thicker with a more rounded edge. It is subtle, but visible to my eye. If they were turned on the same lathe, I would expect them to be identical. Hopefully, someone who has both can do a head to head comparison. Regardless, it's an excellent brush. It looks like the current prices are introductory, and will go up by $5-7 at the end of the year.

Top Bottom