What's new

A new perspective

Yep, I saw that once.

Interesting theory. I do sometimes wonder. I actually really want to try it. I intend to become more practiced with a DE razor first, however, so it may be awhile.

Do you think that he learned any of that from little green men in the UFO's before he finished the tin-foil shield in his house? Sorry, this just sounds a little too conspiracy-theory for me... If he had cited any sources for his info I might be slightly less sceptical... I know that the oil-and-water (or water-only) shave may work for a few people, but I cannot imagine advocating it for the general public.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
All I can say is thank God that Oliver Stone doesn't have a shave blog.

I love a bowtie. I converted from the long tie a few years before retirement, and really enjoyed the variety---and the comfortable feeling of being able to tie a neat knot without looking. Other than helping the occasional desperate man, I haven't had occasion to tie one since retirement. (I actually had to tie one guy's bow tie on the steps leading to the place where the black-tie event was being held. Really.)

Every male should know how to tie a bowtie and should occasionally wear one as an alternative to the confirmity of the long tie. Of course, nowadays, many males never wear a tie at all.... And they don't use fountain pens.... And they don't know how to drive a stick shift.... And they don't know Morse code... What is happening???

Leisureguy said:
I love a bowtie. I converted from the long tie a few years before retirement, and really enjoyed the variety---and the comfortable feeling of being able to tie a neat knot without looking. Other than helping the occasional desperate man, I haven't had occasion to tie one since retirement. (I actually had to tie one guy's bow tie on the steps leading to the place where the black-tie event was being held. Really.)

Every male should know how to tie a bowtie and should occasionally wear one as an alternative to the confirmity of the long tie. Of course, nowadays, many males never wear a tie at all.... And they don't use fountain pens.... And they don't know how to drive a stick shift.... And they don't know Morse code... What is happening???

I don't wear a bow-tie, I don't use a fountain pen, certainly don't know Morse code... I guess the only thing I have keeping me happy is my enormous genitalia...:frown:

(lifted from 'Lou' the black cop on the Simpson's... sorry I just couldn't help it!:biggrin: )

Leisureguy said:

.-.. .. . ... ..- .-. . / --. ..- -.-- / -.-- --- ..- / .- .-. . / ... --- / -.-. --- .-. .-. . -.-. - / -.- .. -.. ... / - --- -.. .- -.-- / .--- .. --

Jim

This guy is a perfect example of why I can't stand the whole "blog" thing. Another self-proclaimed expert in whatever happens to cross their mind that day. Create a presence on the internet, carry on needlessly, and you're suddenly an authority.

If you know anything about computers and need a chuckle, take a gander at "How to Fix Your Computer".

- now back to your regularly scheduled thread

To add to a list... they don't know how to handle a gun... don't know how to open a door (for someone else anyway)... couldn't sharpen a knife if their life depended on it... don't know how to change their own oil or even a tire (fine if you don't wanna do it, but everyone, male or female, really should know how) ah... the list just goes on.

And I'm only 27 and depressed about the state of modern masculinity.... Oh well.

Leisureguy said:

With all due respect, bow ties are just not a necessary sartorial element in 2006, and certainly not something that every man needs to know how to wear or tie. I wear one several times a year with my tux for concerts, and abhor every moment I have one on. I think they look goofy on me--and most men--and don't come close to looking as good with a decent suit as a long tie. They don't have enough "acreage" to show an interesting pattern, always look cockeyed, and are really tough for most men to "pull off" without looking ridiculous.

As for the rest of your list, I know there are lots of fountain pen collectors on the board, so will expect them to chime in on the pens.

I learned to drive on a stick shift, and while its useful to know how to use one in a pinch I can't honestly say I've missed having a stick, especially in city traffic.

And unless you're on a sub, or in a Steven Segal movie, not sure why you'd need to know Morse Code.:smile:

This idea of what a man needs to know would make a great thread, however, and since you brought it up first, LeisureGuy, I'd say that "you're away"!

I respectfully disagree about the bowtie, but of course differences of opinion is why horse races exist. (Which reminds me of the story of the king who promised to give his kingdom to the son who had the slower horse. So there was a horse race. To make it more exciting, each son rode the other's horse. :)

At any rate, a bowtie adds pleasant variety to the spectrum of normal business wear, and being able to tie one in a good knot gives one real pleasure---at least, this one. I even blogged about it this morning.

We do certainly agree that bowties are not "necessary." But that is what makes wearing one on a workday so special: it denotes a clear choice.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That does it. Tomorrow I'm going to smelt my own blades. No more of that Feather crap for me.

I never wore a bow tie to work, but I do hate clip-on ties. When I needed to buy a tuxedo I decided that I wouldn't settle for a clip on bow tie. It was a little tricky at first, but I eventually got pretty good at tying my bow tie before each monthly meeting.

Later you can just pull the knot loose and let the ends dangle down which makes its own statement about your sartorial skills.:cool:

Mycroft999 said:
I never wore a bow tie to work, but I do hate clip-on ties. When I needed to buy a tuxedo I decided that I wouldn't settle for a clip on bow tie. It was a little tricky at first, but I eventually got pretty good at tying my bow tie before each monthly meeting.

Later you can just pull the knot loose and let the ends dangle down which makes its own statement about your sartorial skills.:cool:

I hate to be rude, my dear pal, but I have to ask: what line of work requires it's workers to wear a bowtie to monthly meetings? Maybe you're simply required to wear a tie to this monthly meeting and you choose the bowtie. I have it in my mind, however, that you are required to wear a TUX to a monthly meeting...........an idear I cannot become adjusted to mentally
proxy.php

I have no problem with him wearing a bowtie- but if your face looks like that after shaving with just warm water........

Marty

RWelch76 said:
I hate to be rude, my dear pal, but I have to ask: what line of work requires it's workers to wear a bowtie to monthly meetings? Maybe you're simply required to wear a tie to this monthly meeting and you choose the bowtie. I have it in my mind, however, that you are required to wear a TUX to a monthly meeting...........an idear I cannot become adjusted to mentally
proxy.php

Just because you're employer has no sense of style...:lol:

Not really, it was for a social meeting. I also wore an apron and eventually a bowler hat. Figure that one out.:wink:

Top Bottom