What's new

A new old standby

I recently I read some posts that mentioned Aqua Velva was still a favorite with some of you. I thought I'd mention another old timer that I'd nearly forgotten about. It's Mennen Skin Bracer. Stumbled across it the other day in the grocery story (how impressive!) and remembered how good it smelled. I've been using it as my day-to-day after shave all this week and really like it. It's both masculine and inexpensive -- two of my most favorite things!

Anybody else agree it's a great smell?

I hear ya, but I kinda like that sting. It doesn't last but just a few seconds and gives a pick-me-up. But to each his own.

I recently I read some posts that mentioned Aqua Velva was still a favorite with some of you. I thought I'd mention another old timer that I'd nearly forgotten about. It's Mennen Skin Bracer. Stumbled across it the other day in the grocery story (how impressive!) and remembered how good it smelled. I've been using it as my day-to-day after shave all this week and really like it. It's both masculine and inexpensive -- two of my most favorite things!

Anybody else agree it's a great smell?

+1

I've used it for 40 years, and my dad for years before that! I love the menthol blast and the great scent. YMMV, but I love the stuff!

I like the smell of both but hate that sting. I prefer a cream or balm.

I haven't used Mennen Skin Bracer in a long time, but I remember it being put to a lot of use when I was in the Navy.

My go-to product back then was AFTA ... I saw a bottle at the supermarket the other day, and it brought back a lot of memories. I almost bought some for old-time sakes, but then I remembered I have at least a half-dozen after-shave products already. I need to use those up first, or else find (another) Newbie to pass them on to.

As for the sting, I currently have a bottle of Aqua Velva on hand, which gets played once or twice a month, mostly on the weekends. I find it helps to dilute it (just a little bit) by wetting my hands, pouring a small amount in my palm, then rubbing my hands together before applying it to the face. Just a little bit of water really cuts down a lot of the sting, but still gives you the same soothing and smoothing effect on your skin.

But for most shaves, my current go-to after-shave is Bigelow #1200, enhanced with 2 or 3 drops of ShaveSecret Oil. The combination of the two really kicks it up several notches, and is a good example of where the whole is far greater than the sum of the parts.

The sting is great on those mornings you've gotten so lost in your shave you don't have time for coffee.

Will wake you right up :biggrin:

I've recently started using the AV Ice Blue, and enjoy it a lot - as someone else described it, menthol awesomesauce. Does the Skin Bracer have a similar menthol affect? More cooling, less cooling, as cooling as AV?

I've recently started using the AV Ice Blue, and enjoy it a lot - as someone else described it, menthol awesomesauce. Does the Skin Bracer have a similar menthol affect? More cooling, less cooling, as cooling as AV?

for me its about the same. its got that nice ah effect when you walk around the house and the air feels a bit cooler on your face. plus its green! and its by men...nen! kinda like co..stanza!

am i the only one that dosent get a cooling menthol affect from this stuff?

then again, osage rub and listerine are among my aftershaves..

am i the only one that dosent get a cooling menthol affect from this stuff?..

I am in the same boat as you. After the first week of DE shaving, my face must have gotten a lot tougher. A bunch of the products that people say "freezes the face" or "burns like hades" do not affect my skin that much. ( my sinuses are a different story )

I do keep some AS in the 'fridge. THAT will cool the face, guaranteed!

i find that the first application of Skin bracer isn't all that cold either. But apply a second time and BAM!

I actully find AV and SkinBracer quite similar. They both make three versions...a woodsy-smelling green, a marine-smelling blue and a musky orange

Top Bottom