What's new

A new competition? OK.

Legion

Staff member
Time for another competition, lads.

I'm going to call this one The Scrapheap Challenge!

The rules are simple. Just find a razor that you would normally throw into the "too hard basket" and fix it up. Take the time to save that poor, ugly, unloved razor from the scrapheap and turn it into a useful, if not beautiful, object again. You can spend as little or as much time on it as you like, but obviously Cinderella transformations are going to stand out and make you look like a star.

We will need a picture of the razor before the work, while it is still "in the rough", and one after when it shines like a new penny. I will ask you to avoid Photoshop as much as possible in the after photo. If the picture looks a little untidy that is fine, but we want to judge you on your razor restoration skills, not your photo restoration skills, if you know what I mean. :wink2:

And your prize if you win? NOTHING! Well, nothing except a great sense of satisfaction that you saved a poor razor from the scrapheap. That and the admiration of your peers. Bragging rights are enough, right? Right.

So get into it. Go digging through the junk draws and car boot sales, and crusty antique stores, because you have one month from.... NOW!

Legion

Staff member
I'll start you all off with an example. I am not entering this, I did this one a long time ago. In fact, this was the first straight razor I ever restored. It was so rusty I literally couldn't give it away. Everybody put it into the too hard basket. So I thought, why not. If I screw it up then it is no loss. It is just going to get thrown out anyway. Let's call it practice.

proxy.php

So I sanded and I sanded and I sanded. Then I polished and polished. And...

proxy.php

proxy.php

Then I had to learn to make scales and peen....

proxy.php

And then I taught myself to hone on this razor as well. And you know what? It shaves great! The razor probably owes me about a thousand dollars in labour, but this was the one which started it all.

Hmmm....

I'm in. I have a few eBay razors that I've been wanting to restore for some time, but have never given it a shot. This will be my first restore! I'll pick the most beat up I have :)

Sittin this one out. But man am I thrilled to see this contest come around! Some of you on here just floor me with the things you can do bringkng these razors back to life. Cant wait!!

You know what would be cool? Is if the winner pifs the restored piece of junk to a newbie. I mean, you probably wouldn't have kept it anyway. Make someone else happy.

a wonderful idea Brent.....but I wouldn't want to hold anyone to it, you know how people fall in love with these things once they get cleaned up LOL

I might have one or two that would fit this category....will take a look through tomorrow :001_cool:

Well, I'm sure it's not the worst of what's out there, but it's the worst of what I've got handy:

proxy.php

Yes, it says Torrey under there somewhere.
4/8", not quite a wedge.
And yes, that was a spiders egg sack between the scales (thankfully empty when I got it :lol:)

Bought this one when I was a teenager and into collecting knives, that was probably about 15 years ago. Wasn't in great shape then, obviously worse now....

I don't know if it's bad enough to take the prize, or if I'll fix it up well enough for that matter, but I'd be happy to PIF this one if I do win

(posting a before pic early, to give the thread a bump :thumbup1:)

I know that I suggested starting a new comp a few days ago but I just started collecting razors and I don't have any that are in too bad of shape. I might look around this weekend at some local flea markets and try to find one in bad shape, but all the ones that I have seen so far are in pretty good condition. If I can find one I will enter this comp. looking forward to seeing all the entries.

this was given to me a few weeks back.... i have not polished it out yet.... and i will need to fix a booboo i did on the scales while trying to remove red rust.... it needs to come out of the scales and get polished before i consider it done....

but... i fixed the blade without losing too much metal *(i refuse to breadknife one and lose 1/8" of blade just to keep it even...) and honed it up to try it out.......... it is a damn fine shaver now... i will put after photos when i finish polishing it....

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

i do not want to PIF this one.... but i do have another one i would consider PIF'ing.... *(its a gold dollar and it is a excellent shaver)

Legion

Staff member
That's totally cool. Nobody has to PIF anything if they want to hang onto it. It is pretty understandable wanting to hang onto a razor when you put so much work into it. I'm never getting rid of my first restoration that I used as the example. It's completely optional.

We just want to see lots of sad razors saved to shave again.

If Anyone has any sorry razors to sell I would love to buy a few to try and restore,I've exhausted all my options on dodgy razors

Legion

Staff member
If Anyone has any sorry razors to sell I would love to buy a few to try and restore,I've exhausted all my options on dodgy razors

Try popping an add in the WTB section of the BST. There might be a bunch of "safety" folks who have some sitting in a draw and never look at this area.

Legion

Staff member
Cool guys. Anyone else want in? This will be a nice cheap comp for you new guys to get started with restoration. Remember, if it doesn't work out, it was a junker to begin with.

ide be in but my razor heap only need a buff, some scales my last ugly was finished yesterday no before pics though

OK I'm now in. Bought 8 dodgy looking straights from ebay along with brass rod, washers, compound and white rouge! So far this prizeless comp cost me a bunch hahaha. When does it end as these razors are coming from the UK and may take a week or 3 due to christmas and new years

Legion

Staff member
OK I'm now in. Bought 8 dodgy looking straights from ebay along with brass rod, washers, compound and white rouge! So far this prizeless comp cost me a bunch hahaha. When does it end as these razors are coming from the UK and may take a week or 3 due to christmas and new years

ends on the 8th Jan, our time, so you should have a couple of weeks, hopefully. Post from the UK is usually pretty quick. Hopefully Christmas wont slow it down too much.

Here's my entry to the contest. It's really not in that bad of shape, but it's the worst one in my collection and this is my first straight razor restore.

Wade and Butcher. About 5/8. Full wedge.
proxy.php

Took off the broken scales and unpinned it today. I knew I was going to lose the etch when I bought the razor, but I was still pretty happy about getting my hands on my first W&B as well as my first wedge.

Here's what it looks like after the first round of sanding and polish:
proxy.php

proxy.php

I'll do at least another round of sanding and polishing and see where it's at. I don't have a tumbler and I'm doing all the work by hand.

Questions going forward
  1. Where do I buy new pins (and washers I guess), and how do I install them?
  2. Can anyone provide a good resource on scales? I don't know if I'm going to buy some, or make my own, but I have no idea how to go about it or how to make sure the razor will fit well and be balanced.
  3. For future reference, how do I unpin a razor without damaging the scales?
  4. I've never honed a wedge before. Anything in particular I need to know?
  5. Can anyone tell me how old this razor is?
Thanks for setting up this little contest as it has motivated me to do something I've wanted to for a long time!

Top Bottom