What's new

A new brush for birthday, Edwin Jagger synthetic?

Hello everyone,
I have a Simpson Trafalgar T3 which is my daily driver but for my birthday I would like to give myself a new brush. I really like the Edwin Jagger Synthetich Silver Tip XL.
I only do face lather. Is it worth its price?

ej286synst_5.jpg

The English Shaving Co has some for around 35 Euros. Depending on shipping, that could be a better deal. For example:

Synthetic brushes prove you don't need to spend a lot to buy a GREAT brush. My favorite brushes are synthetics, with the top one being a Maggards 30mm Tuxedo Knot, which I mounted in a repurposed red Omega 49 handle. (Yes it fits, if you remove the black spacer ring, with a light sanding of the inside opening). That knot was like $9.00-10.00, including shipping. Can whip a thick lather in nothing flat with pretty much any soap, and holds enough when face lathering to easily do 3 passes with lather to spare. Super soft, but has backbone, for a perfect combination. - They sell them pre-mounted in some interesting handles as well.

Razo-Rock has some really nice synthetics as well, I own their 26mm Monster, and a 24mm Silvertip Plissoft Synthetic in nice heavy chromed handle, which was a gift.

You should love the synthetic, as just about any major manufacture now offers the 3rd/4th generation knots, that perform as well, and in many cases better than natural hair brushes costing many times more. As a bonus, they don't typically shed, hold up to hot water better, dry super fast, and don't 'hog' the soap/lather like boar/badger brushes can, making your soaps last longer, as you're using less for each shave.

I bought a brush with the STF for a very reasonable price from The Superior Shave (the 20mm mimik badger line), but, it's 20mm and a walnut handle. If you're okay with that and would like to try the hair without the investment, that might be an option.

The English Shaving Co has some for around 35 Euros. Depending on shipping, that could be a better deal. For example:

Yes, I have seen, they sell the XL at 65 euros with shipping but with Brexit we have to pay customs fees now!

I have this very brush in a different size. It works just fine, but does it work any better than my $9 Yaqi synthetics?? ... Honestly, no.

It doesn't see nearly as much use as my 22mm SynBad or my 24mm 2bed from AP shave co which are the best performing brushes I own... Both of which can be had for the price of one STF with money left over.

I have this very brush in a different size. It works just fine, but does it work any better than my $9 Yaqi synthetics?? ... Honestly, no.

It doesn't see nearly as much use as my 22mm SynBad or my 24mm 2bed from AP shave co which are the best performing brushes I own... Both of which can be had for the price of one STF with money left over.

The brushes of Ap Shave Co are very beautiful, I will have to inform about them and the Synbad knot.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Yep, it is your birthday. You have permission to buy what you want. I expect a review to read in the not to distant future.

Top Bottom