What's new

A New Balm and Oil - Any Thoughts?

IMG_1121.JPG
Just picked up some new products. If you have any experience with them I'd love to hear your thoughts. Cheers.

Last edited:
I've never tried it, but have heard good things about there products. I'll be interested in your thoughts.

i met the owners at the World Beard and Mustache Championships this year. they are very highly regarded in those circles. i don't sport a beard, but i have used there mustache wax and it is really good.

I use their Mocha beard balm. I really like it. Great fragrance for this time of year and performs well. Thinking of picking up the Cigar blend next. Let me know what you think of the scent.

i met the owners at the World Beard and Mustache Championships this year. they are very highly regarded in those circles. i don't sport a beard, but i have used there mustache wax and it is really good.

Thanks for the info. Once my stache looks like your I may pick up some wax. Cheers.

I use their Mocha beard balm. I really like it. Great fragrance for this time of year and performs well. Thinking of picking up the Cigar blend next. Let me know what you think of the scent.

The Mocha is on my short list. Sounds delicious.
The balm and oil came in yesterday and I wore the oil to bed then put on the oil and balm this morning. I have to say that I'm impressed with the softness and longevity. The scent is outstanding as well, slight tobacco and a more pronounced vanilla. I'm very happy with this purchase and will be picking up some other scents from Grave Before Shave. Cheers.

I'm a seasonal beard grower and have tried a few GBS oils. The scents are terrific, both in quality and variety. I have tried Pine, Viking Blend, Bay Rum, Gentleman's Blend, Headhunter, and The Outdoorsman. Of those, Gentleman's Blend is my favorite, though I liked most of them, save for Pine which I thought smelled more like lemon-scented Pine Sol than a pine tree. That's not to say it was a bad scent, I just expected more "Christmas tree" and less "floor cleaner."

As for effectiveness, I thought they worked well at reducing itching and flaking and I would not hesitate to recommend them as a beginner beard oil, as they performed adequately and are about as cheap a beard oil as you can find. My only caveat is I found that once I reached moderate to long beard length, I needed something a little more stout. I have yet to try their balm, but I imagine it's closer to what I needed at longer lengths. For my next beard I'm looking at trying out Honest Amish, but I do plan on revisiting GBS again to try out the cigar and mocha scents, as well as the balms.

I'm a seasonal beard grower and have tried a few GBS oils. The scents are terrific, both in quality and variety. I have tried Pine, Viking Blend, Bay Rum, Gentleman's Blend, Headhunter, and The Outdoorsman. Of those, Gentleman's Blend is my favorite, though I liked most of them, save for Pine which I thought smelled more like lemon-scented Pine Sol than a pine tree. That's not to say it was a bad scent, I just expected more "Christmas tree" and less "floor cleaner."

As for effectiveness, I thought they worked well at reducing itching and flaking and I would not hesitate to recommend them as a beginner beard oil, as they performed adequately and are about as cheap a beard oil as you can find. My only caveat is I found that once I reached moderate to long beard length, I needed something a little more stout. I have yet to try their balm, but I imagine it's closer to what I needed at longer lengths. For my next beard I'm looking at trying out Honest Amish, but I do plan on revisiting GBS again to try out the cigar and mocha scents, as well as the balms.

Thanks for your thoughts and insights. Cigar blend smells great and I look forward to trying the others you mentioned. If you're looking for something more stout I've read Artius Man beard oil is very viscous. Cheers.

I know this is an old thread, sorry about that but I just received my first order from GBS. Decided to get the Dual Pack of 2oz. beard balms in Pine and Viking Blend. Unlike @Chevy Novacaine, I kinda like the Pine scent. I ordered that one to pair with the PdP Sage AS balm, haven't tried them together yet but I think they're going to pair well. I was pleasantly surprised that the "unscented" Viking Blend has a really nice scent to it. Not strong by any means and fades fairly quickly but while it's there it's really nice. Hard to describe in terms of traditional notes, I'm sure it's the natural scents of the ingredients coming through like they say on their site. I don't have much experience with beard care products but I'm impressed with GBS, I plan on trying the OG balm next.

The thought occurred to me, is there any chance of the balms transferring onto bedding at night? I'm not using oils. I've had some instances of hair conditioner staining the pillow cases and had to drastically cut back on how much and how often I use it. Should the balms be washed out before bedtime?
Thanks,
Jack

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, sorry about that but I just received my first order from GBS. Decided to get the Dual Pack of 2oz. beard balms in Pine and Viking Blend. Unlike @Chevy Novacaine, I kinda like the Pine scent. I ordered that one to pair with the PdP Sage AS balm, haven't tried them together yet but I think they're going to pair well. I was pleasantly surprised that the "unscented" Viking Blend has a really nice scent to it. Not strong by any means and fades fairly quickly but while it's there it's really nice. Hard to describe in terms of traditional notes, I'm sure it's the natural scents of the ingredients coming through like they say on their site. I don't have much experience with beard care products but I'm impressed with GBS, I plan on trying the OG balm next.

The thought occurred to me, is there any chance of the balms transferring onto bedding at night? I'm not using oils. I've had some instances of hair conditioner staining the pillow cases and had to drastically cut back on how much and how often I use it. Should the balms be washed out before bedtime?
Thanks,
Jack
Not too old of a thread a all, especially for the beard section. Beards grow very slowly and this section moves slowly too. Thanks for posting your thoughts! As far as washing out before bed I apply balms and oils in the morning and the almost always stay in until the next morning and haven't noticed any issues.

I was watching some YouTube videos from "BeardTube" and he mentioned free oil samples from Artius Man. I checked it out and you choose two, 5ml bottles of oil, enter discount code "samples" and pay shipping only ($3.95). Here's the unusual part: I ordered the samples yesterday and today I got an email from one of the co-owners, Michael. Anyone else get the same thing? Could be an auto mailer I guess, I haven't bought from them before - interesting scents though.
Jack

Here's the email:

Hi!

This is Michael, Co-Owner at Artius Man.

You recently ordered a couple of samples from us and I personally wanted to reach out to you and see what you thought!? I love what we do here and I love to reach out and get feedback from our members. We do things quite a bit differently here and all of our customers are treated like friends and family.

I just want to make sure you had a great experience and if there is anything I can do for you, please let me know! You can simply hit “reply” to this email to provide any feedback or ask a question. I always answer everything personally.

Thanks again for checking us out!

Michael @ Artius Man"

Last edited:

Thanks,
Jack

Glad you’re liking GBS. They make some great products and have great customer service. They have 3 scents that I don’t think I’ll ever go without; Cigar Blend, Gentleman’s Blend, and Caramel Mocha. All smell amazing. Their beard brush is also one of the best I’ve come across, and it looks great.

If you’re beard product AD has kicked in I suggest trying out Beard Booze, Badass Beard Care, Bossman Brands (their Beard Jelly is awesome), Grey Beard’s, and First Olympian. They all make exceptional products.

As for nighttime use I don’t think it’s a problem. I shower morning and night and before bed I apply some beard oil and then Grey Beard’s Green Stuff (awesome leave-in conditioner) and it keeps my beard in great shape, and no noticeable staining of pillows or sheets. In the morning I apply a pairing of my favourite scent, oil and balm, after the shower. I’ll let the oil sit while I get dressed then apply the balm. Works great.

Happy bearding. Cheers.

I was watching some YouTube videos from "BeardTube" and he mentioned free oil samples from Artius Man. I checked it out and you choose two, 5ml bottles of oil, enter discount code "samples" and pay shipping only ($3.95). Here's the unusual part: I ordered the samples yesterday and today I got an email from one of the co-owners, Michael. Anyone else get the same thing? Could be an auto mailer I guess, I haven't bought from them before - interesting scents though.
Jack

Here's the email:

Hi!

This is Michael, Co-Owner at Artius Man.

You recently ordered a couple of samples from us and I personally wanted to reach out to you and see what you thought!? I love what we do here and I love to reach out and get feedback from our members. We do things quite a bit differently here and all of our customers are treated like friends and family.

I just want to make sure you had a great experience and if there is anything I can do for you, please let me know! You can simply hit “reply” to this email to provide any feedback or ask a question. I always answer everything personally.

Thanks again for checking us out!

Michael @ Artius Man"

A great way to try new stuff. I believe Badass Beard Care does the same thing. Cheers.

I'm expecting my first shipment from Badass Beard Care in tomorrow's mail. I ordered the fine tooth wood comb, a sample of Secret Agent oil/balm/wash (unscented), a sample of Viking oil & balm (Siberian fir, orange & clove) , the 2oz Mountain Man balm (pine & cedar)... and 4 extra guitar picks. I thought the guitar pick idea was brilliant.

From Artius Man I'm getting samples of Black Coffee and Logger beard oils. I seem to be hitting the evergreen scents pretty hard, I like that during cold weather. Also wanted to compare similar scents from different companies. Overall, it looks like GBS has the best prices but Badass Beard has a little more variety, at least in their beard wash and accessories like combs and brushes. Artius Man is a little expensive for my budget.
Jack

Top Bottom