What's new

A nervous black male seeking a solution...

Wow, first and foremost....

I must apologize for my act of negligence upon a thread where nothing but positive support has been generated.

Thank you all.

Unfortunately, probably due to impatience and the sophomore level of a Wet-Shave purist, I ended up going back to the Andis clippers.
I've been telling myself that it just seems impossible, but on the other hand i've read nothing but success stories on here so it must be an achievable goal.

Lately i've been thinking about it a lot and am considering taking the plunge once again. I'm glad that everyone finds this thread informative and I hope to continue my contribution in the near future. This time I think I'll do it in patches.
I've come back to wetshaving in the last couple weeks, after first getting into it in 2007 and then going back to my electric shaver for a while. I'm getting a lot more success and enjoyment from it the second time around--the key for me has been to try and be a lot more patient this time. Good luck to you!

My friend, I completely understand. You story sounds something like mine. DE shaving requires patience and time. ProphetNoir said it best. I promise if you deicate the time to the steps neccessary foir a great shave, you'll be hooked. And shave with the grain! The trick to shaving to prevent bumps it to moisturize the beard area so the when the razor hits it, it cuts right off.

Also, stick with you products for a least a month, then experiment

I agree completely with everything said so far. I'm not black but I do get ingrowns from DE shaving. The interesting thing is I don't get them when I use a straight razor. I attrubute this to technique with the razor and to face stretching. I only need WTG passes and the face is stretched with the left hand along the pass. I don't necessarily think this means you need a straight razor, just that you may use some face stretching techniques associated with it in order to be more precise along the neck, thereby reducing bumps and ingrowns. I also think it has alot to do with angle and regard WTG passes as paramount on the throat and neck.

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
OK....I'm 'new' to this Forum, but 'I’ll ‘weight-in' on this subject just the same… and I know this ‘may’ be ’old-news’ but, :blushing:

As an Afro-American (52), who has been wet-shaving for over 30 years, my recuring problem of 'in-grown’ hairs has been ‘mostly’ (besides a few ‘problem’ hairs..every now & then), solved by using a old tooth-brush to ‘gently’ exfoliate my whole shaving surface (after lathering-up & 'softening' of my face), the night before and before my daily (weekends also), morning shaving ritual.

I find that that this 'daily' procedure greatly helps in the reduction of ‘in-grown’ hairs on my face.

Believe me….try this method Bro's…it works for me :thumbup:

My Daily Shaving Tools are;

1. Parker 99R Butterfly DE Razor using Shark Blades Stain-less Steel (aggressive enough for me), Blades.

2. Frank Shaving (FS… Chinese Silver-Tip Badger Hair…purchased on Ebay), Silver-Tip Brush (incredibly soft and the bristle is 'flexable‘ , but it has such has a great ‘feel’ to it).

3. Williams Shaving Soap (I know it's cheap, but it has great lathering properties [stiff peaks]).

Thanx :001_tongu

Christopher

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read the above posts, but I'm still a little confused. Here's my problem.

I've tried using a straight razor and a DE, both have the same problem. I take plenty of time to prep (I use kyle's prep) and I go really slow. As long as I don't go ATG I'm fine. So anyways....

If I go ATG I'm usually fine for the first 12-24 hours. Then my skin hurts if I rub my face ATG. I don't get ingrown hairs or bumps, and I can see that the hairs are growing out and not stuck under the skin or curling back into the skin, but it still hurts. If I try and shave, good lord!!! I'll get weepers, and it feels like I'm shaving off my skin. My face feels like raw hamburger. Its almost like it gets sensitive and almost inflamed, but my skin isn't red. After a couple days my skin feels almost sore, if that makes any sense.

So I am at a total loss. it doesn't seem like bumps or ingrowns, it only happens ATG, but I'm fine when I shave WTG and XTG. Does anybody know what the crap this is and how to get rid of it? :blushing:

Welcome to the site, you've really gotten some sound advice so I won't belabor the points already made. Just stick with it through the first month, which is the usual learning curve, and you'll be enjoying the best shaves of your life ;)

Again, welcome

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I've read the above posts, but I'm still a little confused. Here's my problem.

I've tried using a straight razor and a DE, both have the same problem. I take plenty of time to prep (I use kyle's prep) and I go really slow. As long as I don't go ATG I'm fine. So anyways....

If I go ATG I'm usually fine for the first 12-24 hours. Then my skin hurts if I rub my face ATG. I don't get ingrown hairs or bumps, and I can see that the hairs are growing out and not stuck under the skin or curling back into the skin, but it still hurts. If I try and shave, good lord!!! I'll get weepers, and it feels like I'm shaving off my skin. My face feels like raw hamburger. Its almost like it gets sensitive and almost inflamed, but my skin isn't red. After a couple days my skin feels almost sore, if that makes any sense.

So I am at a total loss. it doesn't seem like bumps or ingrowns, it only happens ATG, but I'm fine when I shave WTG and XTG. Does anybody know what the crap this is and how to get rid of it? :blushing:

Shaving with the grain is not for everyone. Try WTG-XTG or WTG-XTG-XTG for a solid 2-3 months. Then try ATG and see how you go. Again, not everyone can shave ATG.

Let me also welcome you to the site! I encourage you to keep trying. When I started wetshaving I went through an initial multi-month period I call my "hamburger phase". Lots of nicks, irritation, blood and little squares of toilet paper. I would try to wetshave two or three times a week, but my electric razor was so much easier and quicker.

I was tempted to give up, but I was convinced by what I read here at B&B. If other guys could do it and swore that it was a worthwhile thing to do, then I could do it as well. It's kind of like babies learning to walk. It always fascinates me to see babies at that stage because crawling is so much easier and faster. Trying to walk is so hard and slow, yet they are determined to do it because they see grownups doing it. And of course once they master walking they leave the crawling behind because walking is so much better.

That sums up my experience with wetshaving. Once I got beyond my hamburger phase I became an every-other-day wetshaver because even though my blood loss had subsided my technique was still poor and my face was pretty irritated after every shave. Then my electric razor broke and I decided not to replace it. My technique has improved and now I'm an everyday wetshaver.

So keep at it! For me, the biggest improvement came when I learned to shorten my strokes in the neck area. Short strokes make it easier to maintain the best blade angle for whatever part of the face you happen to be shaving.

This is an excellent post.

I am fairly new to wet shaving myself. As a military commander, a certain appearance is always necessary for soldiers. I have African American soldiers, and often they would need to go on what is called a "shaving profile" for the razor bumps that cartridges or electric razors would give them.

I wonder if wet shaving was offered as a solution, how many would embrace the change to ensure that they kept a sharp and professional look without the worry of shaving bumps.

Thanks again!

This is an excellent post.

I am fairly new to wet shaving myself. As a military commander, a certain appearance is always necessary for soldiers. I have African American soldiers, and often they would need to go on what is called a "shaving profile" for the razor bumps that cartridges or electric razors would give them.

I wonder if wet shaving was offered as a solution, how many would embrace the change to ensure that they kept a sharp and professional look without the worry of shaving bumps.

Thanks again!

I know that if this had been offered to me when I was in the army, I would have jumped @ the chance. Sadly, my only other choice was the aforementioned shaving profile.

marty

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
As an Afro-American (52), who has been wet-shaving for over 30 years, my recuring problem of 'in-grown’ hairs has been ‘mostly’ (besides a few ‘problem’ hairs..every now & then), solved by using a old tooth-brush to ‘gently’ exfoliate my whole shaving surface
And don't forget my shaving men of color, this Thread ("Suggestion for those of you with ingrown hair..."), and Posted Replies may be of some interest to you.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=193129

I found that using a old tooth-brush to ‘gently’ exfoliate my skin was too soft in lifting up in grown hairs and I've tried using a natural bristle brush (as advised above and just the right amount of stiffness too...after lathering-up & 'softening' of my face), the night before and before my daily morning shaving ritual really improved my ongoing battle with ingrown hairs. :thumbup:

Christopher
proxy.php

Last edited:
I started with a DE and got great close shaves, but lots of razor burn regardless of with brand of blade or prep. the razor bumps were everywhere. I switched to straight razors 3 months ago and just got over the fear. no razor burn and the bumps were greatly reduced.

Wow. Can't believe this was 10.years ago.
Every now and then, I revisit to read some of the responses and keep me on point.

I still get the odd case of a breakout but the situation is a million times better than it was back then.

Welcome to B&B. I am a Black man who had the same skin issues as you have now and I wore a full beard for 30 years before coming here to see if DE shaving could be the answer. It has been for me, and I hope that it will be for you also. Although ethnic hair and skin pose somewhat unique problems, ingrowns are ingrowns and bumps are bumps. You can get a world of help here from each and every member. For my part, I would say that you need not shave at all until your skin has cleared beneath the beard that you currently have. Start by treating the damage that exists. You have some good tools already and you don't "need" a set just yet. Believe me, if things go as they usually do, you will accumulate more things in short time. What's important right now is not what you buy so much as what you do with it. Work with the Black Opal products for now and read the sticky posts, I cannot stress this enough, read and re-read them. Print them out if it is possible and study them like there is gonna be a test. While you are waiting to start shaving, order a blade sampler from west coast shaving.
This won't get fixed overnight, and it won't get fixed just because you picked up a DE razor and a brush. It will get fixed because you learned how to use them correctly. You can learn that here. Now PLEASE read the sticky posts and also read every response that you are going to get on this thread.
We are glad to have you here.

P.S. In answer to your question: Yes, when your skin clears enough to attempt your fist DE shave, I would first trim the hair with that Andis Outliner carefully, you are not shaving with it. I would also advise that you do that a full day before you plan to shave. I have found that when I go for too many days between shaves I have to reduce my beard with electric clippers and I generally find it better to do that and then shave a day later. I am also going to strongly suggest that you start wetshaving slowly by purchasing some single edge disposable shavers. My personal recommendation would be BIC Metal Guard or BIC Sensitive. The Merkur is a very good razor, but there are a lot of variables in successful shaving. Proper prep and building good lather are every bit as important as using the blade. If you can focus on those two things without the additional worry about how aggressive your angle and pressure are with a tool that definitely bites, then you can take this a step at a time. This is what worked for me. Others have been able to start off with the DE razor right away, and you may be one of them. It's just something to to consider.
Just keep coming here and don't stop asking questions when they come to mind. You will always get answers.

Good advice!

I would add that you should focus on technique. Read through the Wiki and watch a few videos.

Your current kit is good enough to get you going. A blade sampler pack or two is all that I suggest you add.

I didn't realize how far back these posts went until I looked at the number of pages; read the whole first page and was looking and hoping for a results update (didn't know it would be years later!).

What a great story! So glad to see your issue is largely solved. I am fairly new here but everyone here is eager to help. Congratulations!

@Gaznix
I still use that razor from time to time, although my current go to's are my Gillette 'Ball-end' Tech (w/Feather Blade), Karve Christopher Bradley (Plate B, w/Polsilvers or Perma Sharp blades) and a Paradigm Ti SE (w/Schick Prolines. Looking to give Feather Pros a try for some added efficiency)
I'm also considering a Blackland Vector.

@Batchief909
I tried that years ago. At the time, I was hoping for overnight success (lol) so I wrote it off after about a few days to a week....along with MANY others. Now that I have a better understanding of how these type of products work, It might be worth grabbing some so that it's around if needed.
Although I'm more in favor of an alcohol-free post shave, I do sometimes use Tend Skin (harsh stuff) or Barbedeaux, followed by an alcohol-Free splash or lightweight lotion such as Chatillon Lux Toners or the Phoenix & Beau lotions.

@BigJ
Thanks. Technique is indeed the most important aspect and things are going well in that department.
I should have mentioned that the mild breakouts are from my own ignorance and are fully avoidable. You see, I get going with a slew of great shaves using WTG/XTG passes only. But then there's the odd time where I get over confident and think...."meh, let's give it a go" with an ATG pass.......same results every time. LMAO!!!

@DEPenguin
Yep, I struggled for a while. Mainly due to impatience. Threw the towel in for years and other than the odd attempt here and there, it wasn't until a couple of years ago where it became a regular method of shaving for me.
I also created this post around the same time....
My Journey towards a BBS dream: W/Photos. (Warning, not for the faint-hearted)

Overall, things are good and I'm enjoying the hobby. Most importantly...I know the cause if something doesn't go quite to plan.
Technique and a razor with good tolerances seem to provide the best results.

As already mentioned, I have those 3 go to razors (listed above in bold print), plus a few others. As for software, the ones I favor the most are by..

- Grooming Dept. (Using the Lusso base at the moment)
- Declaration Grooming (Bison & Icarus)
- A&E/The Club
- Purely Skinful Handmade Essentials (Beef/Lanolin/Shea butter base, and Deer Base)(Canadian soapmaker)
- Southern Witchcrafts

Last edited:
Top Bottom