What's new

A n00b introduction...

My wet shaving journey started several years ago after reading a book by AOS. I bought a Muehle shaving brush and tried many different soaps as I was living in Germany at the time. This was several years ago and I had not heard advice to use a DE safety razor. The AOS book suggested using a Mach 3 so I used multibladed monstrosities for many more years paired with nice soaps and pre and post products. Then last fall I stumbled on an article on wet shaving with a DE from one of those how to man websites. I was immediately intrigued as the dorco 5 bladed monster I was using just wasn't giving me the shave I wanted.

I did research and lurked several sites including B&B before buying a Merkur 34c HD. I also invested in some new scents to include artisans like Stirling and Barrister and Mann as well as old favorites like Proraso and Tabac, (not for me by the way, eww.) Since I began this journey in October, I have taken a new found joy in shaving. As a disabled veteran I rarely leave the house or have a "reason" to shave, and yet it has gone from a weekly occurrence to a daily ritual that I look forward to. When you don't have anything to do the small pleasures really become important.

Like all new hobbies it is hard not to go hog wild spending on new toys. I am on a tight budget, but, I would still like to get a new brush, possibly a Stirling finest 24 mm, and, I am keen to learn more about vintage razors. Right now I have one brush, a Semogue 1305, and, three razors, my 34c which I just placed on the bay, an EJ with a very short rubberized grip, and, a WCS open comb with a stainless steel handle. I actually like those handles, the EJ and the WCS switch. Open comb with a light short handle, and the closed comb EJ with the long heavy handle.

Right now I have a bunch of soaps and aftershaves on the bay and am using Stirling Barbershop to the exclusion of all else. I am a scent fanatic, but, of the 11 scents I have only the Barbershop suits me right now.

I bought the Stirling soaps from another B&B member off the bay, and he suggested I stop lurking after we had a long conversation. As wet shaving has definitely reached hobby status in my life I figured what the heck. I have spent the last few days lurking with renewed fervor, and, posting in the odd thread. From what I have seen this seems to be a great community and I wish I would have found it years ago.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself more fully.

Welcome to the forum! Happy to hear you are enjoying your shaves. I really have to pressing need to shave either since I retired from work, but I still look forward to the daily ritual. :thumbsup:

My wet shaving journey started several years ago after reading a book by AOS. I bought a Muehle shaving brush and tried many different soaps as I was living in Germany at the time. This was several years ago and I had not heard advice to use a DE safety razor. The AOS book suggested using a Mach 3 so I used multibladed monstrosities for many more years paired with nice soaps and pre and post products. Then last fall I stumbled on an article on wet shaving with a DE from one of those how to man websites. I was immediately intrigued as the dorco 5 bladed monster I was using just wasn't giving me the shave I wanted.

I did research and lurked several sites including B&B before buying a Merkur 34c HD. I also invested in some new scents to include artisans like Stirling and Barrister and Mann as well as old favorites like Proraso and Tabac, (not for me by the way, eww.) Since I began this journey in October, I have taken a new found joy in shaving. As a disabled veteran I rarely leave the house or have a "reason" to shave, and yet it has gone from a weekly occurrence to a daily ritual that I look forward to. When you don't have anything to do the small pleasures really become important.

Like all new hobbies it is hard not to go hog wild spending on new toys. I am on a tight budget, but, I would still like to get a new brush, possibly a Stirling finest 24 mm, and, I am keen to learn more about vintage razors. Right now I have one brush, a Semogue 1305, and, three razors, my 34c which I just placed on the bay, an EJ with a very short rubberized grip, and, a WCS open comb with a stainless steel handle. I actually like those handles, the EJ and the WCS switch. Open comb with a light short handle, and the closed comb EJ with the long heavy handle.

Right now I have a bunch of soaps and aftershaves on the bay and am using Stirling Barbershop to the exclusion of all else. I am a scent fanatic, but, of the 11 scents I have only the Barbershop suits me right now.

I bought the Stirling soaps from another B&B member off the bay, and he suggested I stop lurking after we had a long conversation. As wet shaving has definitely reached hobby status in my life I figured what the heck. I have spent the last few days lurking with renewed fervor, and, posting in the odd thread. From what I have seen this seems to be a great community and I wish I would have found it years ago.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
A good brush is important, try to get one.

Top Bottom