What's new

A Murder of Crows

No idea why exactly a flock of em are called that. However, there is a colony of the noisy birds nearby busy mating, nesting, or just engaged in annoying crow chatter. For laughs they like to leave deposits on parked cars. Dang birds!

We have a nest of mourning doves under our elevated deck. It was interesting watching the mother dutifully sitting on her nest. She was not fazed in the least by our presence.

We had a surprise spring snowstorm on Sunday making it difficult for the birds to find food. At least it melted off on Monday.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Don’t like it, move to Antarctica. No crows there!

From the PBS.org website:

What’s a murder of crows?
A group of crows is called a “murder.” There are several different explanations for the origin of this term, mostly based on old folk tales and superstitions.

For instance, there is a folktale that crows will gather and decide the capital fate of another crow.

Many view the appearance of crows as an omen of death because ravens and crows are scavengers and are generally associated with dead bodies, battlefields, and cemeteries, and they’re thought to circle in large numbers above sites where animals or people are expected to soon die.

But the term “murder of crows” mostly reflects a time when groupings of many animals had colorful and poetic names. Other fun examples of “group” names include: an ostentation of peacocks, a parliament of owls, a knot frogs, and a skulk of foxes.

Eurasian Dove have taken over the area. Loud, constant coo-cooing. Lots of poop. Stay year round. Colorado declared them invasive, so open season, no limits. Pop them out of the Maple tree in the back yard, some Jalapenos, Cream Cheese, Bacon, and into the smoker they go!

Blackbirds are a pain with their big, noisy flocks when migrating, but usually are gone in a week or so.

Crows are few around here.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
We have massive murders of Grackles. They are the most annoying bird ever created, IMO.

We have a nest of mourning doves under our elevated deck. It was interesting watching the mother dutifully sitting on her nest. She was not fazed in the least by our presence.

We had a surprise spring snowstorm on Sunday making it difficult for the birds to find food. At least it melted off on Monday.

We had crows in the woods near the house, who'd caw at us and reply when we'd caw back. Suspect they were having a bit of fun at our expense, but we had fun with it, too.

Don’t like it, move to Antarctica. No crows there!

From the PBS.org website:

What’s a murder of crows?
A group of crows is called a “murder.” There are several different explanations for the origin of this term, mostly based on old folk tales and superstitions.

For instance, there is a folktale that crows will gather and decide the capital fate of another crow.

Many view the appearance of crows as an omen of death because ravens and crows are scavengers and are generally associated with dead bodies, battlefields, and cemeteries, and they’re thought to circle in large numbers above sites where animals or people are expected to soon die.

But the term “murder of crows” mostly reflects a time when groupings of many animals had colorful and poetic names. Other fun examples of “group” names include: an ostentation of peacocks, a parliament of owls, a knot frogs, and a skulk of foxes.

Drove up on some sort of meeting of crows once. Seriously. They were in the middle of the highway, in a circle. They flew to the trees when I approached, and formed the circle again immediately after I passed.

Crows, grackles, doves & geese are all trash birds. It should be open season on them all year round, but God forbid, in NJ, you should harm one. I check my bushes all spring and destroy any dove nests I find. I hate their cooing. Like pigeons & gulls, they're just rats with feathers. I use a green laser or a spray bottle of alcohol to chase the geese. Opening or slamming a door is usually enough to get rid of the crow-like birds. I want the robins to have full access to my yard for eating and shrubs for nesting.

We have a couple of cats that we do not let outdoors as that is prohibited in my county. They have to be on a leash just like a dog. Anyway, the cats love to sit in the windows and "talk" with the birds in the bushes, trees, and on the deck. It is quite entertaining.

When I lived in Inuvik, NWT, I would walk to work and pass by a large lot of Black Spruce trees with 50-75 Ravens perched in them, chattering away at each other.
As I got close I would stop, yell "HEY" or give a short blast from a whistle.
Every raven would shut up and turn to look at me.
Once I got their complete attention I'd quickly raise my hands above my head.
They would then all take off, flying in circles as if a tornado had caught them up, then settle down again in half a minute or so.

You have to make your own fun, right?

Top Bottom