What's new

A Most Unusual Pocket Edition

s-l1600-3 copy 3.jpg
s-l1600-3 copy.jpg
s-l1600-3 copy 2.jpg
s-l1600-3 copy 4.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg

Last week, I won this 1917 black leather #505BP set on the Evil-Bay. I find it to be very unusual, as it is a pile of contradictions and things that shouldn't be.

First off, it is the only leather set that I have encountered to be made this late -- Gillette discontinued both the gunmetal finish and leather sets when they assumed the production of the Pocket Edition sets, earlier than the 1917, which the razor's D611156 serial number indicates. Not only that, but it is a black 505BP set, while all 505BP sets are brown pigskin. Could this set be one of the very last to be produced by the A.B.C.? Or was it from leftover A.B.C. parts?

If so, how is the razor's comb/guard bottom stamping explained? It is stamped "MADE IN USA" (which began that year), with the large diamond and arrow logo, but their positions are reversed, with the logo on the right hand side.

Lastly, it is an American made set, after all, it says so. Then why and how does it have the very typical British "double stamping"? Was this a prototype razor head furnished to the A.B.C., by Gillette, or was it a set manufactured by Gillette?

Has any B & B reader seen another like this, or know anything about this set?

Cheers,
Kevin

Attachments

• s-l1600-3.jpg
    s-l1600-3.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 11
You've probably already considered the possibility that these parts (case, base plate, handle) didn't all start off together. For 3-piece razor sets, it's all modular. 1917 would be pretty late in the ABC Razor game, but I've heard of such things. Remember that the handles on those early Gillettes were a weak point (cracks), so it wouldn't be out of the question that someone's handle broke and was replaced.

That base plate stamping is interesting. I've never seen the logo and "Made in USA" switched like that. I like your theory that it was an early Gillette attempt that (for whatever reason) they changed for later stampings. It wouldn't have been a prototype for ABC, since ABC had been doing handles for Gillette long before 1917.

In any event, that's a gorgeous set. Congratulations on the acquisition.

Beautiful Pocket Edition set, I have a thin cap Canadian single ring serial #570536 and it has the Made in Canada and the Gillette stamp reversed like yours.Since the dating of the Canadians is unreliable I'll guess that my razor is similar in age to your ABC. I like your theory and if this type of placement was tried in the US and Canada maybe it was an early attempt at branding.
reversed.JPG

Glenn

Cool score! The case is the prize here. The ABC pigskin. I would consider it rare. I am thinking mismatch on the head. No bother though. Beautiful set. Here is a pigskin I used to own. ABC through and through. Can’t remember the year though. 1911 or so.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I wish to thank Charles, Glenn, and Chronarch for their input.... It is an odd set, and I find it very interesting that Glenn has it's Canadian cousin. Chronarch's former set is indeed a beautiful set, and in stunning condition.

I am about to post the about the second odd A.B.C. set that I acquired last week. It was a great weekend on the bay....

Cheers,
Kevin

My 1916 Gillette Bell Tube Aristocrat has the logo on the bottom right hand side, but no made in USA on the left. No other markings other than serial number, and patent inscription.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I don't know why it is that way. By the way, Kevin, that is a gorgeous set! Good Show Sir! Again, congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom