What's new

A “More Perfect” HK & Another Unicorn

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
“When I was young, a teacher had forbidden me to say "more perfect" because she said if a thing is perfect it can't be more so. But by now I had seen enough of life to have regained my confidence in it”.
Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Having previously converted the .357 USP Compact from DA/SA to light LEM, Oberndorf finally(!) sent HK-USA some forever-backordered, upgraded firing pins & this morning, along with a Rick Holm (Lazy Wolf Guns) enhanced FPB spring, I replaced the original FP & FP Block with upgraded counterparts (right). Pre-2005 USP Compacts were notorious for broken firing pins & especially those frequently dry-fired. Holm’s enhanced FPB spring negates stacking & in combination with Light LEM, turns a perfect USPC into a more perfect USPC with its’ seamlessly smooth, lighter trigger pull.

Awhile back, a co-worker friend asked where he might find a NIB USP Tactical .40 S&W & I replied by telling him that he’d have an easier time finding 15 NIB P7M8s. Nonetheless, I set about trying to locate a .40 Tactical for him & after an hour or so & countless ‘out of stock’ &/or ‘sold’ pages later, I stumbled onto a ‘USP .40 Compact for sale’ header, buried some 10-plus pages deep into Google. I hit the link & here’s a .40 Compact Tactical pictured above a description & spec sheet belonging to a full-size, conventional USP .40 ... confused, I call the gunshop & after retreiving the pistol in question from the back room, the surprised associate apologizes for the erroneous listing & tells me that it’s actually a full-size USP .40 Tactical. I asked him if it was new & how many they had in stock ... he replied, “Yes, and we have two in stock”. A few days later, we picked up the unicorns from our FFL. Already more than perfect, like the USP .45 Tactical & unlike the other polymers, the 2013 .40 Tactical will remain an unaltered V1 SA/DA...

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
I've always admired the Tactical. I, myself have the standard USP .45.
The allure of the USP just won’t go away ... engineered by Helmut Weldle to replace his P7-series pistols, they remain strong sellers. The USP .45 Tactical was my first HK & twentysome-plus years later, remains one of my favorites.

Great guns, I made a mistake and traded of a 45 elite a long time ago. Cz has my 9mm attention , but for 45 , hk and maybe fn have my attention right now.
Never owned nor fired an Elite, but my understanding is that those hand-fitted slides turn an already accurate platform into a real tack driver.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The allure of the USP just won’t go away ... engineered by Helmut Weldle to replace his P7-series pistols, they remain strong sellers. The USP .45 Tactical was my first HK & twentysome-plus years later, remains one of my favorites.

Never owned nor fired an Elite, but my understanding is that those hand-fitted slides turn an already accurate platform into a real tack driver.
Wish I had bought a P7 when I had the chance.

Top Bottom