What's new

A More Aggressive TTO Razor In The Gillette Red Tip Tradition. Recommendations?

I am just a little wary of the slant concept and design. I suspect it would not fit into my current development as a DE newbie. (TL;DR..they scare the xxxx out of me)

I got a RR German 37 pretty early in my wet shaving journey.

I have never cut myself with it. I have cut my lip with other razors.

The head does all the work - you just pull down like you do with a standard DE razor.

No need to fear a slant any more than a DE.

I have since replaced the RR German 37 with a vintage Hoffritz that's basically the same design.

Both are EXCELLENT at cutting through multiple days growth and remaining a smooth, comfortable shave.

A vote for a vintage. In my case my C4 flare tip is my birth quarter and my A4 Red Tip is my late wife’s birth quarter making both special.

I don’t believe a birth year Red Tip was made for you, but I suspect you can find a birth quarter Slim.

For me, a razor with a meaningful date can be a successful purchase even if only used occasionally.

I have a Gillette Old handle. I am wondering if anyone would have a head for it. How does an Old perform? It appears to be brass, ball end. It has no cracks. Here is pics where it is more visible Help needed in identifying a ball end handle - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/help-needed-in-identifying-a-ball-end-handle.615945/

I did not fit the Tech head, I found out to my cost!
The old is reputed to be on the aggressive side, and to have a relatively unforgiving shave angle. Around 1920 the top cap was redesigned to be taller, which makes for a slightly more forgiving shaver. This was generally referred to as the Brownie. These later baseplates have no serial numbers on them. It is reputed that there is a fair amount of variability among the WW1 era and earlier old style heads, as they were stamped in a rather rudimentary way in multiple plants.

In actual use as a routine shaver, I concur on the suggestion of The New OC short comb. The New DeLuxe is an even more efficient shaver, if that is what you seek.

Personally, I prefer the English made Aristocrat Jr. with the solid base plate out of all of the TTO non-adjustables I own. It's head is essentially the same as an Aristocrat, but the handle is more pedestrian. Still, the build quality is outstanding. The solid baseplate seems to change the whole dynamic. It has a marvelous heft and balance to it. It is more efficient than my 40's SS, and also smoother. Of course, I have never tried a British Aristocrat, and have yet to try a SS red tip.

My advice is to get a Red Tip and don’t look back. Many times I have bought a cheaper version of what I wanted and if I could afford it I ended up eventually buying what I originally wanted anyway.
I finally bought a Red Tip last year after finding Gillette Techs and Superspeeds a little too mild. I am happy with my Slim, but the Red Tip is special in its own way. It feels like a Slim at 3 or 4 - a sweet spot for me.

A bit off topic here, but if you want a more aggressive TTO you should look for a Russian Krona Clone ;)
I have a Russian Meridian, a nice clone or copy of the Schick Krona, but it is quite aggressive, even a bit more than the Red Tip.
These Meridian's can be found very cheap on the bay ;)

Yes, that Rocket of yours has more gap an exposure than the US Red tip. But it can be found with 2 gaps - normal and big. If it has "II" on the bottom plate, it means the smaller standard gap - "medium", an it will be very mild.
Whilst I can't say about gap exposure between the Rocket HDs with and without the "11" on the underside; what I can say is that both are as mild to shave as the other.
Neither are as 'aggressive' as either USA or English Red Tips.

I have a few Rocket HDs, USA & English Red Tips so feel able to confidently comment.
A TTO I feel is over looked is the English 2nd generation Aristocrat Jr .. I'd place that more efficient than the Rocket, possibly on par with Red Tips but just smoother

Whilst I can't say about gap exposure between the Rocket HDs with and without the "11" on the underside; what I can say is that both are as mild to shave as the other.
Neither are as 'aggressive' as either USA or English Red Tips.

I have a few Rocket HDs, USA & English Red Tips so feel able to confidently comment.
A TTO I feel is over looked is the English 2nd generation Aristocrat Jr .. I'd place that more efficient than the Rocket, possibly on par with Red Tips but just smoother
It is not 11, it is latin numeral II, the mildest ones (some blue tips) have I, the aggressive UK red tips have III. This system has been used only on the European TTOs
Concerning the HDs. Not all unmarked razors are the aggressive variety. There are mild ones that don't have the "II". So your unmarked ones are like that . I have 5. 4 unmarked, 1 with II. Only one of the unmarked ones is the very aggressive variety. Bought from France.

Last edited:
@Multum in parvo has a US red tip and the wide gap HD. He showed me a comparison photo. He might even have it still. When he shaved with them he said the HD is more aggressive, and IIRC he preferred the milder Red tip

Here you go @ivan_101
49005E75-D869-4F7E-9073-EA2D26C0434F.jpeg

The blade gap is misleading then. All these 6 HDs are those without the "11' underneath .. non are as 'aggressive' as my USA or English Red Tips (two USAs and 2 English in pic)

Attachments

• IMG_20220211_151603.jpg
    IMG_20220211_151603.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
The blade gaps do look bigger though.

Attachments

• IMG_20220211_152541.jpg
    IMG_20220211_152541.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220211_151653.jpg
    IMG_20220211_151653.jpg
    681.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20220211_151803.jpg
    IMG_20220211_151803.jpg
    827.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20220211_151835.jpg
    IMG_20220211_151835.jpg
    988.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220211_151951.jpg
    IMG_20220211_151951.jpg
    733.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220211_152541.jpg
    IMG_20220211_152541.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
The blade gap is misleading then. All these 6 HDs are those without the "11' underneath .. non are as 'aggressive' as my USA or English Red Tips (two USAs and 2 English in pic)

What exactly do you mean by aggressive? Are they more efficient, more uncomfortable while shaving or a bit of both?

The Red Tips have more blade feel and are more efficient giving a closer shave.
The HDs have little-to-no blade feel, and whilst also efficient, do not shave as close.
Both being Gillettes - are typically smooth.

The Red Tips have more blade feel and are more efficient giving a closer shave.
The HDs have little-to-no blade feel, and whilst also efficient, do not shave as close.
Both being Gillettes - are typically smooth.

Do you find any noticeable difference between the US and English Red Tip or it's just yet another vintage bla-bla myth?

Also, do you have any US Aristocrat from the late 40's to compare the Red Tip's to?

I don`t notice any difference between the US and English Red Tips .. I side-by-sided them a few times .. eyes closed too; but didnt feel any noticeable difference.
I don`t have any US Aristocrats to compare to the Red Tips. I do have a few English 2nd and 3rd generation Aristocrats which Id say offer similar efficiency as the Red Tips .. but with less blade feel.

The Rocket HDs are a real favourite of mine; the advantage with these less `aggressive` razors is that you can get away with a less than perfect angle when doing hard to reach bits like under the nose; the Red Tips have previously bit whilst doing this area when being a bit complacent.
I recently used a super aggressive Dscosmetic V0 v2 which took a sizeable bite when doing under the nose. This was despite being quite careful ... the difference between mild and aggressive razors is quite negligible on the actual shave ... a few hours longer at best; however the chances of cutting yourself with the aggressive ones is a lot higher.
Thats why I prefer the milder HDs and Aristocrats .. or my favourite, the Myatt Daymark.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
A vote for a vintage. In my case my C4 flare tip is my birth quarter and my A4 Red Tip is my late wife’s birth quarter making both special.

I don’t believe a birth year Red Tip was made for you, but I suspect you can find a birth quarter Slim.

For me, a razor with a meaningful date can be a successful purchase even if only used occasionally.
Another plus is it justifies buying more razors. BTW I really like my Redtip. And if you’re picky like me you can repaint the tip.

The red tip to me is over hyped. I feel its a mild razor. The early single rings are alot more aggressive to me. But i would lean towards a sheraton/ senator or any of the open combs tto really.

Top Bottom