What's new

A Modest Proposal/Rant

Why would aftershave manufacturers (I'm looking at you, AV) put their wares in a 3.5 oz bottle? The TSA in the US won't let you carry on anything larger than 3.4 oz. I'd love to be able to throw a bottle of AV Sport in my travel bag but can't for fear of having it seized.

It seems to me that AV could downsize their bottle by 3%, save a little bit of money, and be able to claim that their aftershaves were TSA-friendly.

I know this is kind of a backwards way to go about it, but you could use a Nivea AS balm bottle to take your AV, it's a 3.3 ounce bottle.

For sure, if you want to decant your AV, 3 oz. bottles are everywhere. I picked one up from a local pharmacy and filled it with Florida Water for a trip to DC. TSA never blinked.

You make a superb point though. One may wonder why such a off-the-wall volume? Reason...(3.4 oz.=100.55 ml.) Yep, metric is not dead and we in the US would do SOOO much better if we could adapt, like most of the free (and otherwise) world. It's kind of sad that the only other countries (other than the good old USA) who don't use metric are Liberia (African superpower) and Myanmar (famous globally for their excellent line of shave products "Burma-Shave").

Last edited:
Target sells 3 oz bottles marked "TSA Approved." I filled one with Thayer's Witch Hazel and had no problem at all.

Top Bottom