What's new

A mixed seven day set

It seems our finishing methods are getting both better but also slower.

Black arks are very slow, and the introduction of The Method, while an excellent way to maintain razors, is so slow that you have to hone after every use.

But since I like sharp, I like maintaining this way.

So I'm following the example of a member here, and setting up a seven day set, with Saturday morning used to refresh them all. That way they get attention after just one shave.

Photo below.

It's not the usual seven day set, with identical razors. It's just different seven razors I like. I strop on leather and shave, then move it to the right hand side of the cigar box.

At the end of the week, all seven are on the right side of the box. Then on a weekend morning when I have plenty of time, a couple of them are maintained on a black ark and the rest are maintained on 1.u pasted balsa.

Right now I have six excellent razors and one Gold Dollar. The GD actually shaves ok. But it's going to be replaced with a wonderful NOS Heljestrand 24 that Doc226 is currently setting up for me.

IMG_1092.jpg

I mark my shave ready razors by which way the tang is pointing in the cabinet. I have three razors with the intention of doing touch ups on the weekend. I actually like the honing as much as the shaving so I rarely make it to the weekend. I need to get another razor just to keep up with my growing rock collection.

Yup, typo. I meant point one.

I like Tomo's point about reversing the tang. When my cigar box is full I'll have to start doing that.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I suspect that I might get bored using seven of the same razor in a row. I like your idea of mixing it up!
Not for me. I am still learning with every shave. Having identical SR's seven days in a row helps me improve my technique, both in shaving and blade maintenance.

Frank, the idea of mixing it up isn't mine, it came from RumpleBearSkin. I don't own a real seven day set, so I jumped on the idea. I'm really enjoying having a fresh razor waiting for me every morning. I see why them well heeled, fancy fellahs have seven day sets.

Mine's actually a mixed 43 day set (so far). :lol:

But I only use 7 in any given week and they each get their balsa primping on the weekend after they are used. At the "start" of the week, I have all 43 to choose from and all with a fresh balsa edge.

Works for me. Hope it works out for you @kohalajohn!

Top Bottom