What's new

A misprinted Gillette Old Type

This one could have worth a lot if the teeth weren't bent. Has anyone seen another one like this or from other Gillette models?

7243532463700.jpg

I have several Old Style Gillettes with the end teeth bent in a similar way. They both shave great. Could it be the way they were manufactured? A lot of them have surface cracks in the handles, which apparently was common in ones straight from the factory. Someone with more knowledge about the Old Styles than me probably will also reply.

I have several Old Style Gillettes with the end teeth bent in a similar way. They both shave great. Could it be the way they were manufactured? A lot of them have surface cracks in the handles, which apparently was common in ones straight from the factory. Someone with more knowledge about the Old Styles than me probably will also reply.
Jimmy, I think you are missing the point. Lots of Old Types have bent teeth, yes, although they were not made that way (people drop razors from time to time).

The point of the OP is that the word Gillette was stamped incorrectly on the razor, so that some of the word is missing.

I suspect this is relatively rare, although I am afraid that an Old Type is not a penny. Mis-stamped pennies can be worth thousands of dollars. But there are a lot more numismatists out there than there are shaving geeks.

Looks like it was off center in the mold when stamped. Yes and odd one. But I ont think its worth anything unfortunately
Agreed. I have a double stamped one but just like my Exec. Fatboy marketing test (no stamping on the baseplate and an engraved 228) it doesn't have a lot of value to collectors apparently. I got my unstamped Fatboy test unit at auction and it drew very little attention. My bid was low but I won it. There were only a couple bids. Up until today I had not seen another one.

100_6932.JPG

Agreed. I have a double stamped one but just like my Exec. Fatboy marketing test (no stamping on the baseplate and an engraved 228) it doesn't have a lot of value to collectors apparently. I got my unstamped Fatboy test unit at auction and it drew very little attention. My bid was low but I won it. There were only a couple bids. Up until today I had not seen another one.

View attachment 1533776

I've recently saw another Executive Fatboy without markings on a Facebook shaving group. The theory is that they were either test market or salesman sample. They are not extremely rare, but I wouldn't call them very common either.

I've recently saw another Executive Fatboy without markings on a Facebook shaving group. The theory is that they were either test market or salesman sample. They are not extremely rare, but I wouldn't call them very common either.
I would like to see that one. Did it have an engraved number? Functional or parts fixed in place? Link to the page?

I would like to see that one. Did it have an engraved number? Functional or parts fixed in place? Link to the page?

The Facebook group is called - ''Vintage Gillette Safety Razors''. The pictures were uploaded two days ago.

309886235_5517543088321635_6037153851032683875_n.jpg
309704014_5517543121654965_4882758263095385613_n.jpg
310064841_5517724498303494_5831938572758504656_n.jpg

R

romsitsa

Faulty stamps are not uncommon on 102a Ball ends, how off the emblem is varies from razor to razor.
Not similar, but weird in its own way, a Sr with all known UK and US markings.

I have an Ivory Soap promotional Old Type with the stamping off center. I'll try to post a picture later today when I take pictures of some SE razors that I'm contributing to the auction.

Top Bottom