What's new

A mini Falcon review after first smoke.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
As an aside...

The length of the mouthpiece...

IMG_20201006_053728.jpg

.... is the perfect guide as to how much pipe cleaner to cut off to make the filter ring...

IMG_20201006_053831.jpg

:biggrin1:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
AimlessWanderer and Brandaves are going to have this whole sub smoking Falcons before too long!

Don't blame me! The fault lies squarely with the guy in the Deadpool mask. He's the one that finally tipped me into trying one. :D

They do look cool. I really like the idea of swapping bowls. And I haven't found a cheaper meerschaum lined bowl. But I'm having trouble getting past the looks .

I've got one, and I'm still having trouble getting past the look too :lol:

Your Meerschaum point is semi-valid to me. I can probably get cheaper meer lined pipes, but I can't get a block meerschaum sitter anywhere near as cheap.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
IIRC “modern” Falcons have a slightly larger airway and should pass a pipe cleaner.

All my pipe cleaners are tapered. I've never bought straight ones for some reason. The thin end of the tapered ones is fine on my Falcon, but the fat end isn't. Obviously, even if you start with the tine end, it starts getting more restrictive as you pass more of the pipe cleaner down. I don't know how standard straight pipe cleaners compare on diameter.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
All my pipe cleaners are tapered. I've never bought straight ones for some reason. The thin end of the tapered ones is fine on my Falcon, but the fat end isn't. Obviously, even if you start with the tine end, it starts getting more restrictive as you pass more of the pipe cleaner down. I don't know how standard straight pipe cleaners compare on diameter.

They are about as thin as the tapered ends on yours.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I think I am going to give one a try. One question. You mentioned "long pipe cleaners". Does this pipe require longer pipe cleaners?
No, I was speaking of the brand of the pipe cleaners I use. BJ Long are just standard regular old pipe cleaners. Falcon makes a thinner proprietary pipe cleaner but from what I could tell you could get away with using any old pipe cleaner.

Is this pipe suppose to burn cooler? Is that the main selling point? Or is it the fact that you can change bowls easily?
It's also very cool looking. That could be it's main selling point.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Is this pipe suppose to burn cooler? Is that the main selling point? Or is it the fact that you can change bowls easily?

Smoke cooler, not burn cooler. It potentially lowers the temperature of the smoke in your mouth, but not what's happening in the bowl.

Price is another selling point, as well as the user configuration. One pipe can have several bowls, whereas you'd otherwise have to buy multiple whole pipes. Then there's ease of maintenance, replacement of parts instead of the whole pipe in the event of breakage, customisation, ease of carrying multiple bowls (taking up less space in your travel bag), etc.

Ultimately though, it comes down to personal taste, and whether or not you like it as a pipe/concept. Some do, some don't. I'm not a big fan of the aesthetics, but. I like it because it sits, and I can get meerschaum bowls for it. This means I have a customisable sitter pipe, which gives me options I wouldn't otherwaise be able to get for that price. A meerschaum sitter for example, could easily cost me £150 or more.

So far mine seems to smoke well enough, which is of course the main thing, and I think it will improve as it breaks in.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose

It’s really that it’s supposed to smoke drier. Moisture in the smoke condenses in the chamber below the bowl and you get a drier smoke. The effect is that it seems cooler and probably is because it doesn’t have as much water vapor in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
What do you guys think about this pipe...especially if you aren't in love with the look of the falcon. I can't get behind this one...

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
What do you guys think about this pipe...especially if you aren't in love with the look of the falcon. I can't get behind this one...

That’s one of Mummert’s funkier ones, but he had a more standard looking one with glass shank that I wavered over lol.

Top Bottom