What's new

A lot of samples and a Rockwell 6s

4th shave today with the Polsilver balde. I flipped it and used plate 5 this time. I had a two day beard growth. The blade was fantastic again. A DFS with a pass and touch ups. I am wondering about this blade quality in my Fatip razor, but I want to try the remaining of the sample with Rockwell 6s.

5th shave using the Persona blade with plate 5. The blade is continuing to perform very well. I feel bad to throw it so I can try the other ones.

6th shave with the Persona blade. Great shave.
Verdict. Buy this blade if you can ASAP.

7th shave with Polsilver. Using plate 5 on Rockwell 6s in my last 3 shaves. The blade is a tiny less smooth but performed very well.

I will give it another try our two and then start with another brand.

This type of blade lives up the hype at least for my skin. YMMW

7th shave with Polsilver. Using plate 5 on Rockwell 6s in my last 3 shaves. The blade is a tiny less smooth but performed very well.

I will give it another try our two and then start with another brand.

This type of blade lives up the hype at least for my skin. YMMW

It is, indeed, a great blade. Especially in the Rockwell.

8th shave with Polsilver. The blade is performing too good. I don't feel to join the great Exalibur brotherhood in this forum yet using this one. I can easy get 2 weeks of good shaves out this brand I think. One more try this Sunday and then I will use another brand.

9th shave with plate 5 using the Polsilver blade. This is a top tier blade in a Rockwell razor. I am throwing a good blade to try another brand tomorrow.

So far, top tier blades for me have been :

Persona blade
Gillette Platinum
Wilkinson Sword
Super-Max Blue Diamond Titanium

Today I tried a fresh Astra Stainless steel balde.

I enjoyed my budget setup except for the razor one. Rockwell is expensive I think.

Brush: Omega 10081
Soap : Proraso blue cream
After shave : Nivea AS
Blade: Astra SS
Razor : Plate 4. Rockwell 6s.

I used plate 4. Being spoiled by Polsilver Irridium blade, I felt that Astra was like Polsilver at its 5th shave.

The shaving went really nice. The blade is medium sharp and smooth. Let's see how it goes for me.

IMG_20210526_084445.jpg

Last edited:
Third shave with plate 4 using the same Astra SS blade today . Let me tell that the blade is holding good. I am enjoying it due to the other fact that I can find this blade locally.

4th shave with plate 5 this time. This Astra version, if it can hold like this till 7 shaves, then it's another winner for this type of razor.

This is my standard combination, astra and rockwell 6s plate 5. I have got 5+ shaves out of the blade and have even fiddled around using an old safety razor hone to get more shaves. But it just isnt worth it for pennies. The blade normally can outlive my boredom and I end up changing blades after 3 shaves on average.

This is my standard combination, astra and rockwell 6s plate 5. I have got 5+ shaves out of the blade and have even fiddled around using an old safety razor hone to get more shaves. But it just isnt worth it for pennies. The blade normally can outlive my boredom and I end up changing blades after 3 shaves on average.
So true. No point stretching a blade when you feel it is not working as it should. However I feel a bit bad throwing most of my blades with 4 shaves as they were working simply fine.

But I am mostly a two pass shaver and I think I can get mostly 7 shaves at minimum out of any blade that I have tried so far. It goes with the phrase YMMW.

I had the 5th shave with Astra. Plate 5. Great shave.

Verdict. Yes, this type of blade is in my future buying list.

Last shave with this Astra SS blade. The 6th one.

I used pre shave Proraso cream and it helped a lot.
I didn't enjoy the blade feeling on my face. I changed to plate 6 and it was something better.
However the result was really good.

I don't know how a blade behaves in the next shaves when it looses its smoothness. Not a big deal, as I have some other blades that I haven't tried yet in the Rockwell 6s, so I am letting this Astra blade go. 6 shaves out of it wasn't such a bad number. It means 50 Astra SS needed for a year.

Next blade will be a Perma-sharp blade .

Last edited:
Today I used a fresh Perm-sharp blade using plate 4. Just wow. This blade was a new revelation to me.

I am not sure if it was my skin preparation that helped the shaving but this blade gave me the best first shave ever using Rockwell 6s.

I enjoyed it so much that I went for a 3 pass chasing BBS.

Let's see how the next shaves will be...

IMG_20210613_233826.jpg

3rd shave. A good one again.

I am enjoying Proraso preshave cream.

Tomorrow I will try it with plate 5.

2nd shave with Perm-sharp blade. I should have tried it sooner. Great one pass shave today.

Anybody loves Perma-sharp blades?
These are my favorite blades. They work good in any razor i have tried it in.
A blade should be performing at its best the first shave, which these blades do. I do not like blades that peak in performance the second or third shave. I usually throw away a blade after the third or forth use.

4the shave today for the Perm-sharp balde with plate 5 in Rockwell 6s. I am still good shaves out of this blade. Adding Proraso preshave cream in my arsenal has been a smart move. My 3 boar brushes setup has been enjoyable too. I can't believe that such good boar brushes are bought under 50 usd.

Top Bottom