What's new

A lot of samples and a Rockwell 6s

It's a pretty good idea. I'd be interested in that. And if nothing else, it's good to keep notes on what works and (more importantly) what doesn't.

Ok, then.

Let's give it a start. My main quest will be : should I buy 100 piece of this blade? That's the goal of my reviews.

I am a one pass shaver but for this razor I will go for a two pass shave. I chase a comfortable shave and not a BBS.
My brushes are mostly boar ones and I use either a Tabac or a Proraso soap.

Ok, then.

Let's give it a start. My main quest will be : should I buy 100 piece of this blade? That's the goal of my reviews.

I am a one pass shaver but for this razor I will go for a two pass shave. I chase a comfortable shave and not a BBS.
My brushes are mostly boar ones and I use either a Tabac or a Proraso soap.
I worked my way through about a dozen tucks in my first two sample packs before I landed on my go to blade. I then started watching for sales on that blade and ended up with 700 of them. I decided this last week that since 700 blades would outlast me, that I would stop stretching them as far as they would go. I can get this blade to last for about 30 shaves, so once a month would be 700 months. You do the math, I’m 69 and don’t expect to live another 700 months. So I decided to bin the old blade and start anew every Sunday. I’m sure you can guess what blade that is.

My first blade is Super-Max Super Platinum. I had four shaves with plate 3. The blade get smother with usage. Not a bad one and it get its job done.

I could get easily 2 weeks of shaves from this blade.

Verdict. Will I buy 100 pack of it? Only if I could not source other brand blades.
IMG_20210413_083751.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's great that you'll be comparing different blades in the same razor as I feel it's important to limit the number of variables. Good luck.

Second shave today. The blade was much smoother and a bit less sharp. Nice blade though. Let's see if I can get 7 shaves out of it easily...

Third shave. Plate 4. Flipped balde. Really good blade. I will put it aside, so I can test other samples. This one is approved by me. I don't know if Super-Max Blue Diamond blade is still produced although it is still available in a famous online shop. Seems affordable too.

Today I had a moment of rush and I tried a new blade from China? Can any good blade come from China? Here is a Ming Shi blade. My setup : Plate 3, Proraso soap and a boar brush.

Blade was not smooth. Relatively sharp. I tried to push it to get BBS. Not good at all at ATG. I will give it another try with plate 4 in the coming days. Somehow I have created an idea about it but let's see. Never prejudice a blade... 😅 😅
IMG_20210417_101349.jpg

I had the second shave with Ming Shi blade. Not that smooth. I think the heavy head of Rockwell 6s makes a blade perform pretty well. Personally I am not going to use this blade anymore.

Verdict. Will I buy 100 pack of it? No.

Continuing my sample journey with Rockwell 6s.

Today I tried the Isana Blade. It is a blade made by a German retail chain which I can find it locally. There is no brand at all to this tuck which is a bit strange.

I used it with plate 3. The blade is very smooth although not very sharp. It was a comfortable shave. I am glad it went like this as I have a blade backup locally in any case.

Tomorrow I will try it with a higher plate, number 4. It is a good blade for me.
IMG_20210419_084220.jpg

Second shave with Isana blade. Plate 3 again. Two passes. Really smooth. A good shave.

Tomorrow plate 4. Let's see how aggressive does this blade becomes...

Top Bottom