What's new

A lost cause that was at least a learning experience

I tried a glue up brush handle with 6 different pieces of wood. Well I gave up on that brush. The joints were uneven which I could have dealt with but the knot cup cracked in 2 spots, which I could have delt with if the glue joints had been even. And I keep having issues with the CA finish witch I would have delt with had it not been for the other 2 issues. But the combined problems make it not worth fiddling with any longer. It was a good learning experience though. And I have some ideas of how to make the next brush very interesting.

20190306_133742_HDR.jpg
20190306_133728_HDR.jpg
20190306_133947_HDR.jpg

It's hard to see but there are 2 cracks in the knot cup.
20190313_134119_HDR~2.jpg

I haven't had much success with joints in my glue-ups either. It seems to take a lot of practice. You seem to be getting pretty close to having it down. The brush handle really looks stunning. Any chance the joints could be filled with CA?

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
When I saw "lost cause" in the thread title, I thought "Uh-oh! What did I do wrong this time?" :tongue_sm

I haven't had much success with joints in my glue-ups either. It seems to take a lot of practice. You seem to be getting pretty close to having it down. The brush handle really looks stunning. Any chance the joints could be filled with CA?

The joints are full of two part epoxy they are just uneven widths and the wood is a little crooked. I may tinker with this one later on or use part of it but for now I need a break from it.

When I saw "lost cause" in the thread title, I thought "Uh-oh! What did I do wrong this time?" :tongue_sm

One never knows. I could probably find some way of blaming you for this one, I just don't have the energy to dig that deep right now.

A break can give you a new perspective, or make it clear that you need to start over. I look forward to seeing how it comes out if you are able to move forward with it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Good effort all the same. As mentioned by @Lightcs1776, a break can give you some new perspective. If you do come back to it please let us know how you go with it.

A break can give you a new perspective, or make it clear that you need to start over. I look forward to seeing how it comes out if you are able to move forward with it.

Good effort all the same. As mentioned by @Lightcs1776, a break can give you some new perspective. If you do come back to it please let us know how you go with it.

I will be sure to post here if I decide to resurrect this project. Thanks for the interest in my work.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
What did you use to glue it up ?
I was taught as a Young Lad that regular wood glue doesn't take up as much space between
the wood joints as epoxy does.

I was experimenting and used 2 part epoxy with brass shavings in it. I wanted the gaps to be bigger to show the brass shavings and clamped it too tight. I really like brass and since I don't have a metal lathe it's a way I can get some into a brush handle.
I have some ideas for the next handle I do. But I'm thinking of waiting till I get some knots to make any more. That being said I will probably not end up waiting. I'm just KNOT that patient.

Top Bottom