What's new

A look back at the last 30 days...

It's now been about 1 month since I got into DE razor shaving, gladly disposing of all cartridge related instruments into the circular file. There definitely is a learning curve, and one thing I learned is that no matter how much reading you do on forums, there are a certain number of things that need to be tried and tested on your own skin to get a real feel for whether they will work or not.

I started this journey with a Muhle R89, and a very good supply of USA made Personna Platinum. My first shave was a very careful one, and I made sure to take my time. Went through all the prep steps both for the lather (dipping the brush into hot water to let it soak, etc...), and my face. The first couple of shaves were sheer pleasure, and the Muhle/Personna combo is my home daily shaving setup. The level of closeness and comfort I got from a gentle touch were extraordinary. Like everyone one, I had a few nicks and cuts, but these are just part of the learning curve.

I also purchased a Parker A1R 4-piece travel razor, since I obviously need one for when I'm on the road. I figured that the Personna blades would do the job just fine. I was seriously wronged by the razor on my first time with the Parker. Very very uncomfortable shave with a tremendous burning sensation. This could have been the result of a number of things:

1. I did not have a good lather, and I may have been rushing.
2. Like an absolute novice, I loaded the razor head prior or leaving, as I did not want or though I would need to bring along a whole 5 razor container. I may have inadvertently dulled the razor blade as I placed the head back into the travel pouch.
3. I assumed that I could shave with the Parker the same way I shave with the Muhle. Obviously a stupid assumption.

For a split second I blamed the Parker. But then I realized that it was definitely something I was doing wrong. Therefore, I decided to make a few changes based on what I learned. First off, the Parker A1R is a more aggressive razor than the Muhle R89, and it demands to be respected. Secondly, I made sure that I would take the time to prepare the lather correctly. And thirdly, I decided to use the Shark Super Chrome blades that came with the Parker. This time, I brought the whole box, and decided that I would load a fresh razor blade only just before I would need to shave. No risk of dulling the blade by mishandling it.

I took my time, and I was very gentle with almost no pressure. The result is that the Parker/Shark combo has given me the best shave I've had so far. I was absolutely blown away, and a classic 3 pass of WTG, XTG, and ATG left me with an impeccable shave. I now want to repeat the experience with a Personna blade handled properly to see whether a Personna will perform as good as the Shark on this razor. On the Muhle the Personna is a great razor blade by far. The Parker cannot match the Muhle in workmanship. There is no argument there. It is a "rougher" razor, and that is evident by just a close visual inspection. However, despite the lower quality finish, the shorter handle, and the slightly lighter weight, with the right blade and patience, it will deliver an impeccable shave. It's all about learning how to use the instruments.

A few words on the Parker travel brush...very nicely made. Packs up nicely and neatly and the holder has a cap at one end that is perforated to allow air to enter the canister in case the brush is still damp, and allow it to dry. It retains water very well, and holds a good lather. I've not done it justice as I've not paired it with a proper bowl...thus my bad in not using it properly.

I've also been using the Body Shop Maca shaving cream and after shave balm. Although the shaving cream does not seem to lather as well as TOBS, this may be due to the fact that I stupidly did not bring a proper bowl, and have had to improvise with a less than perfect substitute. Nonetheless, I am able to produce enough lather for a plentiful 3 way pass. The after shave balm is outstanding. It is very light, and given enough time to dry will leave you with an absolutely smooth and comfortable feeling. Absolute protection, with just a hint of nice scent that is not overpowering at all. Definitely a product design for those with more sensitive skin.

As I'm traveling through the land of the rising sun, I figured I would try and look for some Feather DE razor blades, and finally give a try to these legendary sharp blades. I will be curious to see how they stack up against the Muhle/Personna and Parker/Shark combinations. At the end of the day, it's all about the experimentation to see which combinations works best. Now I understand why there is so much discussion around the blades and how they perform relative to the razor they are mounted in. I even decided to give a local medicated shaving cream a go, to see how it stacks up with the rest of the creams I've tried. 30 Feather blades plus a tube of local medicated shaving cream...damage = $10. Not bad for a 6 month supply of Feathers.

So, what is the conclusion of all of this...I now want to try a slant head and am looking at the Merkur 39C...I'm doomed. Enjoy the pictures.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394180660.739580.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394180681.246868.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394180721.300077.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394180736.315543.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394180750.645179.jpg

Nice pictures.
I think every razor demands respect, especially when we getting to know it. Also the angle may vary from razor to razor, you should be aware of that.
I do not own a Parker, but I believe the general consensus is that they are more aggressive razors than the ones people usually start with, the EJ89/R89 , 34C, etc... so again, extra caution and very light pressure are essential.
Good luck!

I've had a Parker A1R razor on my wish list on Amazon for some time now, reading about it and even watching geofatboy use it and discuss it. I've read here about another member picking one up, but it was your review that made me convince my girlfriend that purchasing this razor was a good decision (especially since I have carried all of my vintage razors with me in the car when we left the state to visit my father and friends) and would lessen the amount of packing that I would need to do.

So it is that I have one on the way, and it should arrive on Friday. I'm presently learning technique with my new FaTip Grande, but I might take a brief break and give the A1R its time with a single blade. I'm really, really looking forward to seeing just what kind of shave it delivers, and comparing it to my 1974 Gillette Super Speed in terms of aggressiveness.

I was also tempted to purchase the Parker travel shaving brush, but last year, when I was preparing for holiday travel, I instead opted for the GBS travel shaving brush. Big mistake. It sheds every time I use it, so I will be picking up a different shave brush for my trips this coming summer. Thinking about getting a Semogue 1305 or Semogue 1438 since they are well priced on Amazon and far cheaper than another badger brush, and the fact that both of them are well received and respected here on Badger and Blade. I'll just have to figure out what size of pill bottle I'll need for it to keep it in during travel in my brand new (and super spacious) Dopp kit.

Man, I love picking up new and vintage shaving gear! :-D

I just got my A1R in the post today, and I'll have to wait until I change blades in my FaTip Grande to try it out. Another shave or two, I'm predicting. Man, I am really looking forward to trying it out!:thumbup:

Top Bottom