What's new

A little help from Chicagoans?

Upon unpacking this evening I noted I forgot a brush. Have the DE89l and LASS shave stick but nothing to whip it up. Any advice for a brother staying at The Palmer House until the middle of next week? I see a L'occitane down the street but thought they stopped selling brushes? Looks like there is an AOS a bit Dow Michigan but I find their stuff pricey and that's a long cold walk for this West Coaster. Thoughts?

Right in the hotel where you are staying on the main level is an excellent bricks and mortar shave store known as Merz Apothecary. They have everything you could want and more. Welcome to our city.

You'll have a blast in Meerz. Kind of a Candyland for DE shavers. Enjoy. You just fell into the shaving Nirvana.

Amazing! Thanks for the heads up. Heading down in a bit and will likely be the first customer of the day.

And thanks for the welcome. Always love Chicago, rain or shine (or snow). Brought the Mrs. This time as she's never been. Great dinner at The Gage last night then a matinee show this afternoon.

Again thanks! Once again, the fine gents at B&B prove this is the best forum on the Internet!

Loved the store. Had to show amazing restraint partly due to lack of available space for the return trip. Ended up with a Wee Scot and travel tube. Should work perfectly. $image.jpg

Jaybees, if you have time, definitely take the Mrs.For a field trip up to the Lincoln Square Merlz location. They will have many products she will love and you will think the downtown location is nothing after seeing their new men's store. You can get on a brown line train one half block from your hotel at Monroe, have a little above ground tour of downtown and some of the north side neighborhoods, exit the train at Western Avenue, one block from the other store, and check out Lincoln Square, the old German neighborhood in Chicago. You can have classic German desserts at Cafe Selmarie, drink a bier at the huetten bar, and then tell people you saw part of the real Chicago and not just the nice downtown area.

How could you go there and ONLY buy so little.....

You sure you are not from some other shaving forum?!?!?!? :nono:

Jaybees, if you have time, definitely take the Mrs.For a field trip up to the Lincoln Square Merlz location. They will have many products she will love and you will think the downtown location is nothing after seeing their new men's store. You can get on a brown line train one half block from your hotel at Monroe, have a little above ground tour of downtown and some of the north side neighborhoods, exit the train at Western Avenue, one block from the other store, and check out Lincoln Square, the old German neighborhood in Chicago. You can have classic German desserts at Cafe Selmarie, drink a bier at the huetten bar, and then tell people you saw part of the real Chicago and not just the nice downtown area.

What he said!
My wife almost always accompanies me when I do a Merz run and we always grab a few things from Café Selmarie to take home.
The apothecary itself - not just the shaving side - is a blast and worth the trip. My wife says the Swiss toothbrush she bought for $2.59 is the best she's ever used.

Haha I have to laugh at the irony of you staying at The Palmer House and then the question following, "...any suggestions on where to buy shave supplies" when there is a Merz inside the hotel. I'm not laughing at you, just pointing out the irony! What a coincidence!
Have a great stay and a safe trip back!

How could you go there and ONLY buy so little.....

You sure you are not from some other shaving forum?!?!?!? :nono:

Well my suitcase is bulging already and I live about 5 minutes away from West Coast Shaving. Still, every time I walk through the hotel door I'm tempted to go back in ....

Top Bottom