What's new

A little discomfort for a super close shave?

I've used many different double edge and single edge razors with an assortment of blades. To date, the closest shaves without nicks, cuts or irritation come from my Mongoose with a Feather Pro Super blade. The only down side is that the shave is not very comfortable, particularly the first pass. During the shave, I mutter to myself that it's not worth it, but after the shave I am very pleased with the great results.

Would you take that deal and use the Mongoose/Super Pro combination, or just settle for a more pleasant shave experience and a slightly less smooth result?

I've used many different double edge and single edge razors with an assortment of blades. To date, the closest shaves without nicks, cuts or irritation come from my Mongoose with a Feather Pro Super blade. The only down side is that the shave is not very comfortable, particularly the first pass. During the shave, I mutter to myself that it's not worth it, but after the shave I am very pleased with the great results.

Would you take that deal and use the Mongoose/Super Pro combination, or just settle for a more pleasant shave experience and a slightly less smooth result?
Not gonna be the answer you want, but: I think only you can make that decision.

If my shave is uncomfortable, I end up with irritation. When I'm feeling blade, that means I'm removing too much of my skin and it will be red when I finish in that area at best, bloody at worst. As such, I've never had the experience you're describing.

I settle for a less than smooth shave almost every day. If I don't have weepers or irritation, I deem it an excellent shave. Doesn't matter what I finish with for closeness. I will miss whiskers on occasion and have to go over them again, but that is more to prevent them from curling and ingrowing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It's more like tugging than just blade feel, primarily on the first pass. It does not leave any redness, burning or irritation.

I can't stand tugging either, but if it happens to me, redness or pain lasts all day long post-shave. If you experience none of this however, you'll just have to decide if the tugging is worth it or not. That sounds like a blade that just not quite sharp enough.

I can't stand tugging either, but if it happens to me, redness or pain lasts all day long post-shave. If you experience none of this however, you'll just have to decide if the tugging is worth it or not. That sounds like a blade that just not quite sharp enough.
It's a bit of a paradox. I agree that it sounds as if the blade isn't sharp enough, but yet it's those Feather Super Pro blades that give me the closest shave - even while giving me the closest shave.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Beard reduction vs skin removal. I achieve comfort consistently now. I have chased the closest shave possible, not my priority anymore. Very pleased with the results of a close comfortable shave. I may have a low threshold for irritation, which informs my decisions and choices about razors, blades, soaps and balms. Know what you like.

It's more like tugging than just blade feel, primarily on the first pass. It does not leave any redness, burning or irritation.
I get tugging, too, with the Feather AC blades. Have you tried the Schick Proline? For me it shaves just as closely but without the sensation of tugging. I think it is a much better blade.

I get tugging, too, with the Feather AC blades. Have you tried the Schick Proline? For me it shaves just as closely but without the sensation of tugging. I think it is a much better blade.
I don't have any problems with the Feather Pro AC blades tugging; it's only with the Pro Super blades. I also have Proline blades, but I don't find them to be very different from the Feather Pro blades.

I can only say that I stopped chasing BBS a long time ago, despite my technique improving drastically and getting my kit worked out to a high level...

First, it's just not required in any way for my job, SO, or my own personal satisfaction/self esteem.
Second, it takes longer and requires more attention than DFS does (at least for me) and while I actually enjoy my time spent shaving every morning, enough is enough, even of a good thing.
Third, the chances of a critical botch while doing a two-pass with XTG final (which gives me DFS or SAS+ depending on the day), are much lower than a three or four-pass with full ATG as the final step... mind you, I haven't actually *cut* myself in years, but weepers in the problem areas and/or "that scraped feeling" can happen if I push for absolute closeness.

As others have noted, the final decision is yours and we can't tell you what your best shave is, since it's *yours* and Your Mileage *Will* Vary from ours, as well as your tolerance for time spent and potential pain & suffering ;)

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

I really hate it when I find myself gritting my teeth and powering through a shave that just doesn't feel good. Oh, I'll DO it sometimes -- my Kampfe Star lather catcher is fairly smooth WTG but is a real whistling bearcat XTG and ATG. If I use that LC I generally only do WTG then shift to a smoother razor to finish the shave (ATT S2 is my go-to in that regard so far).

Then I chide myself for being a princess and having more than one razor going at a time. [grin] But I find that doing so lets me enjoy a razor that I would otherwise probably just hang on the wall and be done with, even if it's only a partial shave. Helps me grow my technique.

In general I'd say I go for comfort over smooth, but I can say that knowing I have some razors that will seamlessly deliver both: RR Hawk V3SB, V3OC, ATT SE1, RR Wunderbar, ATT S2, Blackland Sabre. Three different blade formats, and I've found I like Astra SP DE blades, Personna Stainless PTFE Coated Gem blades, and Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink for most of the AC razors, although for ones like the SE1 that I'm not quite as familiar with yet I'll throw in a Feather ProGuard or Kai guarded blade. I've found the Kai is so "safe" that it almost won't cut in a mild AC razor like the V3SB.

Lately playing with the L1 Sabre I have been amused that even monstrous amounts of cleanup with a blade that really should be in the bin do not leave irritation, and do leave a DFS shave better than some of my razors can deliver with a fresh blade.

O.H.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'm in the comfort over closeness camp....and more so now than when I first started this journey. I find myself wanting to almost always reach for an injector since I get a close shave and one that is comfortable.

Lots of mentioning of razors and blades but what soap is used? This is equally important. I use quality soaps and creams and make sure the lather reaches the proper creaminess. I have no tugging or discomfort.

Top Bottom