What's new

A little disappointed

I had an old brush that came with some razors I bought, Everready Black and butterscotch. Can't read the number.

So, I started pulling out the bristles and figured out it is hollow.

I don't know how I can continue with this thing.

It is like a Valley Girl. Implants, hair extensions, Lee Press ons, empty inside. In other words, all show.

If I were to continue, I would have to fill this thing with something. I don't know, the heart just went out of this project.

The handle being hollow isn't a problem, just build up a shelf using a wine cork, or fill it with epoxy. When I got a hollow handle I filled it up with a epoxy putty, it worked good for me. Don't give up on it. The unexpected is what makes brush restoring fun!

Dude! The hard part is over! Get some Devcon 5 minute epoxy (<$5) and fill it almost to the level you want the plug of the new knot to sit. Let it cure. Then drop the new knot in with a little more epoxy. Done! Butterscotch and black is soo nice! And you will have improved the handle's weight and feel, never mind the quality of the knot.

I agree with both above. Filler up with something, I use wine corks. A hollow handle just isn't heavy enough for my likings anyway. I just don't see how the epoxy would set up if you were to use enough to fill the entire handle up. You could even add some BB's to the epoxy and give it more weight. The uses are enless on what you could fill it up with. FL shaver is right you got the hard part over with now filler up and slap a knot in it, and be sure to post some pictures.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I drop a couple of nuts before filling to give the brush some heft... Really gives it a more expensive feel.

Legion

Staff member
I drop a couple of nuts before filling to give the brush some heft... Really gives it a more expensive feel.

"Heavy is good. Heavy is reliable."

I use coins in mine. Just find whatever small change fits best and epoxy it in place.

I leave them as they were for 50 years. Just auger out the hole and drop a new brush in. Filling a catalin handle can impair the light transmission that makes them so pretty and if you weight it and drop it on a hard floor it is more likely to shatter. I am in the minority I know, but I feel no compulsion to fill them. Just so you know there is an alternative. Your handle never actually had a shelf and there is no requirement to install one.

Just auger out the hole and drop a new brush in.

One would have to know in advance how deep to go before hitting air (in this case 3/4"), then the issue of the material being loose inside the handle must be dealt with.

You might have a point but not on a 1st brush restore.

If you filled it in with RTV or epoxy it would make the handle very strong, and if you fill the handle in with something to add weight make sure you add a little then a little adhesive and you won't have to worry about rattlin or something being loose in there.

Top Bottom