What's new

A little baffled...?

This particular gem has a little gold, a little nickel, and definitely brass showing on the outside of the doors.
What is it....a Ranger Tech, early Milord, or some bizarre hybrid?
It sings like a bird, and the shave is slightly more efficient than a NDC.
It's a keeper whatever it is, this little mongrel....
IMG_20171114_174926.jpg
IMG_20171114_175114.jpg
IMG_20171114_175052.jpg

This particular gem has a little gold, a little nickel, and definitely brass showing on the outside of the doors.
What is it....a Ranger Tech, early Milord, or some bizarre hybrid?
Hard to tell from the pictures, but if it's distinct gold parts and nickel parts and not plate loss, you've got a rare Hybrid Ranger Tech.

Here's mine - gold head and nickel handle

proxy.php

I was thinking a '41; unplated brass head exterior and collar with nickel handle, no notch.
But the inside of the head appears too yellow for brass, and the area where end caps "would" go looks like nickel plate. And there are no embossed markings on the ring above the tto knob.
I can't find anything like it anywhere on the net.

A side note, I read that most of the later gold plated Gillettes were first plated in nickel for better adhesion of the gold finish. So the areas where nickel is showing could possibly be where the gold finish has just worn down.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Looks close to a '46 milord with the stamping, but those have end caps.

Right, but doesn't the OP's have end caps? Looks like a '46 and without markings on the smooth part of the handle.

Right, but doesn't the OP's have end caps? Looks like a '46 and without markings on the smooth part of the handle.

It's tough to tell with the current pictures but I think you're right about it having end caps. If so, then it's got to be a '46 with some gold plate loss.

I think we have a winner, based on the information above. I also think I finally have a candidate for the attentions of Cap and Chris. Here's a couple more photos in better light. The deep scratch on the one door leads me to believe a previous owner may have been a little too dedicated to removing all of the existing gold plate.

RT1.jpg

Attachments

• RT2.jpg
    RT2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
I think we have a winner, based on the information above. I also think I finally have a candidate for the attentions of Cap and Chris. Here's a couple more photos in better light. The deep scratch on the one door leads me to believe a previous owner may have been a little too dedicated to removing all of the existing gold plate.

View attachment 837758

It definitely looks like it would clean up and take a replate nicely! As you already know, she's a great shaver.

With the config in you photos of end caps, smooth band without text, sloped safety bar arms and bold text on the underside of the head, I'd date it as an early 1946, right after the war. Great shaving tool and unique piece of history.

R

romsitsa

It's a 1946 Milord, originally gold wash over nickel. I belive to see some remaining gold on the inside of the knob and screw. Looks like someone polished the head quite aggressively.

Adam

Top Bottom