What's new

A little advice for newbies like me... and a couple of interesting questions...

First post in B&B !

I've been following the forums for about 6 months and have decided to make my contribution.

Although I have studied and researched like a maniac for reviews and opinions of shaving products over the last six months (I can't really understand how this happened, but I'm here now :confused1), I acknowledge that I am far from knowledgeable in the subject. Please take everything I say as personal opinion.

Well, what I want to talk about is a couple of mistakes I made over my introduction to DE's and wet shaving.

At first I got all excited and bought a blade sampler pack, Proraso shaving soap and a Goodfella's razor (because it looked cool, why lie), and a decent Baxter brush. I soon discovered that my choice of razor was far from perfect. I could instantly tell that the blades would sit awkwardly in the razor and seemed crooked and uneven on each side, later to find the importance of blade alignment, build quality and blade exposure. At first I thought it was normal, but now I know its a defective product. (Oh, well, noobie mistake, $50 down the drain)

After that I did more research, I found Merkurs and an overwhelming amount on information and opinions on every razor, so I decided to buy a "Classic Chunky DE" from them, once again, for the looks but this time including reputation from manufacturer. I can't complain over build quality and blade exposure like in the Goodfella's but it is definitely not the smartest approach to a handle for a beginner (another $50 of wasted good money). I still use it occasionally and sometimes like it, most commonly hate it. (usually because it makes me feel I am as ridiculous as it's oversized bright red handle for buying it, but it is a decent razor)

I then got excited and bought a Futur. Wanting something with a better reputation and "proven" effectiveness, I fell in love with my razor. That love has now decreased since I have been recently diagnosed with RAD (by myself :drool:). So once again I was on the prowl for my next buy. I like the Futur but believe I can find something better suited and more comfortable for myself.

I have now stepped things up a notch, I have realized that classic designs and build quality go as far in this industry as in any, and when it comes to putting a sharp blade to your face every day, well, I have to say, it is not the same as buying say socks (where they all pretty much do the same).

I recently bought the Feather All Stainless, and although some say it is too mild, I am hoping that it will be perfect for myself. I have sensitive skin, not a particularly tough or heavy beard but what I would consider "tricky". Growth direction under the chin is completely horizontal and towards my right ear, while around the chin it does all kinds of interesting stuff; the rest is pretty standard. Some of the factors that geared me towards the Feather razor are the ones I want to highlight.

I believe that if you are looking to be cost-effective with this approach to shaving you have to stick to the basics. Razor-wise, that means not buying stuff that you won't use after the excitement of the new arrival, just like my "Chunky Merkur" and Goodfella's. I now wish I had started with the more standard razors, (HD's, EJ etc) or the higher quality one's like Pils, Ikon or Feather. I believe in this approach you can get most of your money back in case you don't absolutely love the product because they're highly sought-after, and if you do happen to love them, you have a tool for life. I haven't read a single negative review for the Merkur HD for example, and I now realize I got two stupid razors in a drawer and mostly because initially they "looked cool" and not the one everyone said that worked great. If you're gonna go for the "cool factor", make sure they are top quality and have widespread acceptance too.

Other than that I am still working on perfecting technique, improving prep methods and highly enjoying my whole experience with this newly acquired hobby. I am currently waiting on the arrival of my Feather All Stainless, 50 Feather blades and a Mitchell's Wool Fat soap. (I know, this looks promising).

I have a couple of questions that may seem stupid to some, and if someone knows they have been already answered in a previous post or thread I would appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

a) My father has a theory that if you just shave WTG and then ATG your beard will eventually "accomodate" itself and the growth will adjust to be north to south all over your face and neck over time. I happen to think this is a complete lie. Opinions?

b) What are simple ways, and when I say simple I MEAN SIMPLE! to mantain safety razors, I don't want to buy products to clean them etc, just basic maintenance other than rinsing and wiping on towels to remove soapy layers of buildup in handle etc.

Thanks again and I hope to be seeing some interesting replies.

I use a bowl and rubbing alcohol to clean my razors geofatboy on youtube has a great video on cleaning razors. He shows you how to clean all the variety from TTO, 2 and 3 piece sets. As for the beard adjusting, mine hasn't in the past 25 years and don't think it will. Then again I could be a freak of nature.

Keep us posted on how things turn out.

Based on your penchant for flying in the face of conventional wisdom:

a) your father is absolutely right - keep training that beard
b) you should don goggles and boil your razor in a mixture of bleach and ammonia fortnightly

Welcome to B&B...please don't do either of those things

Welcome to B&B!
a) BS in my experience YMMV
b)Hot water, Dawn, Scrubbing Bubbles and toothpaste
I suggest you find 1 razor, I prefer classic Gillettes at user grade because they are cheap & work great and stick with it a while. Pick one razor blade and stick with it for about a week.( a blade sampler is great) Pick one soap/cream and stick with it for a week. Work on your technique. When you can get a good shave then think about the other variables. This may help you and save you from wasting money at this stage of your DE experience. As always YMMV, good luck!

Welcome to B&B. Have you given any thought on getting a vintage Gillette? They are cheap, durable, and they work. Everythign made today is based off them, why not go with the originals?

To answer your questions:
a) absolute bunk. You can train your hair to part a certain way, but only after it gets so long. Can't do the same with stubble.
b) I rinse my razor and just shake it dry every day. When I go to change the blade (every week or so), then I use a toothbrush and some liquid hand soap to scrub it down and get any built up soap scum off, easy.

Welcome aboard! Nice to have you here!

As for your questions:

a) After 30-something years my beard keeps on growing as always. I mean, in every possible direction!

b) After each change of blade, an old toothbrush, dishsoap and warm water. Never (I say NEVER) wipe a razor with a blade in, I just rinse it well and shake dry until next blade change.

Welcome to B&B!

Your questions:

a) No, your father is not lying, but he's grossly misinformed. Cutting a hair shaft has absolutely zero effect on the hair follicle (where the hair actually grows from...everything above the skin is just dead material). The same goes for the old wive's tale about shaving making the whiskers grow faster and/or thicker...totally bogus!

b) I give my razor a thorough rinse in hot water, shake it off, and then dip it for a few seconds in a small plastic jar of alcohol I keep on the sink (not the drinking kind!). I then shake it dry and set it on the shelf until next time. When it's time to change a blade, I give the razor a spritz of foaming bathroom cleaner (e.g., Scrubbing Bubbles), a quick scrub with an old toothbrush, rinse, and dry. This removes any soap scum buildup, which can be an issue if you have hard water.

Other people have already answered your questions, so I won't reiterate what has already been said. However, I wanted to make a quick comment about your experience with the Goodfella razor. I received my own Goodfella (black) last week, the third razor I own - the other two being a Feather AS-D1 and a Muhle R41 Grande. I believe you already know that your Goodfella was defective, but I can assure you that not all of them are like that. Mine doesn't have any of the problems that you mentioned, the blade sits on the head perfectly evenly. I posted in another thread that the handle had a blemish (which only affected its looks, not its functionality) and that the company already shipped a replacement, but other than that, the razor is just perfect. While I also like my Feather razor very much, I find the Goodfella makes it a bit easier to shave under the nose, since its head is a bit smaller.

Welcome to your newest addiction!

A) I've been shaving for 30 some odd years. My beard still grows in every direction. But I had a great uncle that said you had to train your beard to shave with an electric.

B) I rinse mine off, shake the water off, and hang it up. If I notice build up when I change the blade, I use a toothbrush & toothpaste to clean it.

Johnnie

I won't pile on regarding retraining hair growth, except to say that it hasn't worked for me despite decades of shaving. I do have two pieces of advice.

First, go back to Goodfellas or wherever you purchased your razor. It sounds defective, and it would certainly be appropriate to ask for a fix or replacement.

Second, rather than moving up the cost/complexity curve, start with a simple, cheap, and widely accepted razor first and don't move up for a while, until you have a good feeling for what you value and dislike in a razor. The DE89 is a good one, or a vintage Super Speed. Both are available for less than $50 (a user SS for a lot less) and are easy to use and fairly forgiving. This will allow you to focus on technique and improving the other variables, like prep, lather, and blade, without making a heavy investment in your razor. You will have plenty of opportunities to indulge your RAD later, after you know what you will appreciate long term--and, more importantly, whether your RAD is simply the excitement of a new hobby or a more enduring pleasure.

Parker 22R TTO under $30.00
Parker 98R under $30.00
Merkur 33C Under $35.00

Own both and they shave really nice. Currelty usnig a Merkur 11C.

P

pdillon

Regarding your Goodfella alignment: Has the Goodfella been giving you bad shaves or did you just decide by looking at it that there was a problem? I have never had this problem myself, but I have gathered that some care needs to be taken when loading three-piece razors to make sure the alignment is correct. Finally, Goodfella makes every indication that they stand by their product. If the product is defective, they will most likely replace. Then, if you have a functional Goodfella, you can recoup most of your money by selling it another member on B/S/T. Your money is not wasted. Many people here try out tons of razors and then sell them off. It's helpful for everyone involved and has created a great community.

If you like the look of the Goodfella, you might be interested in the new Weber razor that should be coming out in the new couple of months:
http://www.weberrazor.com/

Don't overlook vintage Gillettes. These are the best razors I've used. After trying a variety of modern razors, I am pretty much convinced that none of them is better than a cheap vintage Gillette.

This morning I used a gnarly looking blue tip that I bought for two bucks at an antique store. Shaves better than an EJDE89, as far as I'm concerned. YMMV.

I was looking for a chunky merkur for the wife but none ever comes up, i think it so different from the regular DEs she actually might try it..

a) My father has a theory that if you just shave WTG and then ATG your beard will eventually "accomodate" itself and the growth will adjust to be north to south all over your face and neck over time. I happen to think this is a complete lie. Opinions?

b) What are simple ways, and when I say simple I MEAN SIMPLE! to mantain safety razors, I don't want to buy products to clean them etc, just basic maintenance other than rinsing and wiping on towels to remove soapy layers of buildup in handle etc.

a) I shaved WTG/ATG with an injector or cart for over 40 years but apparently my beard didn't get the message. To get a close shave with a DE, I need at least one additional upward (L-R) pass going jawline toward nose on my left side and mouth to ear (again L-R) on my right side.

b) As I use Scrubbing Bubbles to clean the bathroom, I give my razor a shot of Scrubbing Bubbles every week or two, more frequently with creams. Every month or so I'll use a toothbrush with the SB and maybe twice a year some MAAS polish on the SuperSpeed (if I'm bored).

Top Bottom