What's new

A life lesson you learned from a job

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There’s no such thing as a “board stretcher.”
th-1513036182.jpg

From working EMS: Some people will give you as little info as possible so learn to ask questions. Don't assume.
From working in a motel with prostitutes: When dealing with unstable people, don't look or speak, just keep walking. Also works with barking dogs.
From email: Assume the best of intentions. Some people just don't know how to communicate remotely.
From working in IT: A promise at work is worth what you paid for it. If you want more money. it's easier to get another job than get a raise. They don't offer early retirement to people who are doing work(former boss told me this). The newest people get paid the most money. Stress is a self-inflicted wound because the vast majority of the time, they can't afford to lose you. Most of the time, a crisis isn't. If you ask "Do you want this to be right or on-time?" and they say "Both", they mean "On-time". Users almost always want to test in Production.

How do you keep what you enjoy from just becoming work? What can you do for enjoyment that someone will pay you to do? I never understood this line of thinking. Anything that you MUST do, on a schedule, no matter how enjoyable will become dreadful work. I do not see how it can go otherwise.

I enjoy problem solving so programming was a natural fit. There's a lot of satisfaction when your code does what it was intended to do. Luckily, it's something I can do until I can't.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I enjoy problem solving so programming was a natural fit. There's a lot of satisfaction when your code does what it was intended to do. Luckily, it's something I can do until I can't.
That's what I thought as well. That no matter what physical issues would crop up I would still be able to do my job. I regret that sometimes now.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
It's better to seek forgiveness than ask for permission.

I would add that you need to know what you're doing and have big picture ideals in mind, not your own selfish needs.

No amount of success in your professional life can ever make up for failure in the home.
That is the most profound life lesson, thank you for sharing.

I wish my parents knew about it but alas they are now retired and live in their respected ivy tower/house and their neighbours, friends and our family are an echo chamber.

I guess it boils down to values, I came from a family where education and the institution both working and learning played a big part as to whom they would respect. Me I am average, never had a high flying job nor went to a branded university/college.

And yet they wonder why I have not spoken to them for more than 2 years.

What I have learned so far is, "There is a fine line between disobedience and initiative."

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
And yet they wonder why I have not spoken to them for more than 2 years.

Entirely your option and I wish you well, but...

Life is unpredictable. We have no idea what tomorrow may bring.
Regardless of fault, or personalities - there may come a day when you regret an estrangement from your parents.
Maybe not now. Maybe not even several years from now. But as an old guy whose time on this big blue ball is winding down, I can assure you that I feel regret for many things that I could have, but didn't change, and which are now far beyond my ability to change.
Don't be me.
You don't have to be bestest buddies - but moving towards being able to just talk to them, regardless of their issues, will serve you well later in life.
Don't let the personality or problems of someone else have a long lasting effect on your life.
Forever is a long time.

Let me start us off.

I was in high school working construction in the summer, really as a go-fer more than anything else. But it gave me exposure to how a house is built as well as how a small business is run.

One day I was hammering nails as we were putting up drywall. All of us had a nail apron around our waist, hammer in hand. (This was way before nail guns.) I still have the hammer, seen here. Occasionally I would drop a nail and, of course, pick it up. After a time the owner came over to me and said, "I am not paying you to pick up nails. If you drop it just get another out of your apron."

That little comment translates to many aspects of life. One way to generalize it is:

"Know where your time is best spent."

View attachment 1525609
When I see how many flat we get because of roof nail and deck screw ... I wish construction worker would pick up the nail they drop ... For me you drop it you pick it up, does not matter what it is litter , work task , household chores, you do it right and do not let anything for someone else to deal with, it is yours to complete .

Nice hammer by the way. Does it fly to you when you call it by its name ?

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
During the last few years of my career I shifted from practicing law to working in state government. I ran two pretty significant agencies. Very soon after arriving at both, I knew who the high level people who would cause friction with me were. I could have removed and either reorganized to live without them or replaced them, but I kept them and tried to work with them. That was a huge mistake for which the agencies and I suffered and paid. Once you figure out that someone is a significant source of friction at work, try to move them out of your way if you can. They will not change, and neither will you.

Top Bottom