What's new

A life lesson you learned from a job

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Trust no one.
Your boss expects you to care as much as he/she does and work as hard or harder for a fraction of the reward.
A college degree does not prove intelligence.
When your usefulness wears out so does their benevolence.
Any promise not in writing is worthless. In writing it is still worth very little.
Low level employees are worth less than the grease in the gears of the machines.
Once you hit the bottom the system is designed to keep you there.
I guess that's enough.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Trust no one.
Your boss expects you to care as much as he/she does and work as hard or harder for a fraction of the reward.
A college degree does not prove intelligence.
When your usefulness wears out so does their benevolence.
Any promise not in writing is worthless. In writing it is still worth very little.
Low level employees are worth less than the grease in the gears of the machines.
Once you hit the bottom the system is designed to keep you there.
I guess that's enough.

I like your optimism! :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have little reason to be optimistic.
I'm an optimist by choice but a pessimist by nature. Lol, I'm rarely surprised or disappointed.

I loved being a nurse, but I really have begun to embrace not walking into a cluster mess every single day.

My best day at werk was the time I got called in to werk a shift (voluntarily, I'm an idiot!) on my day off.

On the drive in I thought of that little boy that was as happy as can be, rooting around in a bunch of horse pucky.

His theory was that with all that shtuff there had to be a pony in there somewhere!

So I went about my night, looking for the pony. Met a great family that invited me to celebrate their grandmother's birthday in a few weeks, which I did, and when they found out that this white boy loved greens and bacon I was nearly adopted.

My last patient of the night was my "pony!"

I had picked her up as my patient when the other nurse was on a break; I told her to 'git' because I was gettin' time and a half.

I was supposed to check her last blood sugar for the night. I go to grab her hand, and she ain't got no fingers. Hard to do a finger poke with no fingers.....

So she says to poke her ear lobe. I'd like to think that I would have figured that out on my own if she were in a coma, but who knows?

She was a sweet lady. We talked quite a bit, I found out that she was also a "Follower of the Way", though I suspect she was a much better follower than I was....

Then it hit me: she was my pony! She got a big kick out of that. She was worth 10x what the money I made that night was to me. 100x..... I used that phrase about looking for the pony MANY times over the years, and EVERY single time, before my shift would end I'd find a pony. And now you know why I hated to go off werk. I got overpaid to be blessed for a living.

My boss (a good guy with good intentions) states that there’s also the person who seeks to go fill that cup at which point I will tell him that it doesn’t help when someone’s trying to poke a hole in it.

If you can’t be optimistic in your current circumstances then find another way! It’s never too late while among the living.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My boss (a good guy with good intentions) states that there’s also the person who seeks to go fill that cup at which point I will tell him that it doesn’t help when someone’s going around trying to put a hole in it.

If you can’t be optimistic in your current circumstances then find another way! It’s never too late when among the living.
Or just let the air out of yer bosses tires before you punch in.

No, I never did that. Too many cameras nowadays.

OkieStubble

My boss (a good guy with good intentions) states that there’s also the person who seeks to go fill that cup at which point I will tell him that it doesn’t help when someone’s trying to poke a hole in it.

If you can’t be optimistic in your current circumstances then find another way! It’s never too late while among the living.
See, now this guy is a Tactician!

:)

If your tactics ain’t working?

Change them!

ylekot

Alas there is no other way available to me.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My biggest lesson that I learnt as a young working lad (I started at 12yo) was that if you don't enjoy your work overall, get out and find work that you do enjoy. You shouldn't work for the money but work for the enjoyment.

If you work for the enjoyment, you will make enough to live on. Why spend a third of you time in life doing something that you don't enjoy?

ylekot

My biggest lesson that I learnt as a young working lad (I started at 12yo) was that if you don't enjoy your work overall, get out and find work that you do enjoy. You shouldn't work for the money but work for the enjoyment.

If you work for the enjoyment, you will make enough to live on. Why spend a third of you time in life doing something that you don't enjoy?
How do you keep what you enjoy from just becoming work? What can you do for enjoyment that someone will pay you to do? I never understood this line of thinking. Anything that you MUST do, on a schedule, no matter how enjoyable will become dreadful work. I do not see how it can go otherwise.

OkieStubble

How do you keep what you enjoy from just becoming work? What can you do for enjoyment that someone will pay you to do? I never understood this line of thinking. Anything that you MUST do, on a schedule, no matter how enjoyable will become dreadful work. I do not see how it can go otherwise.

My wife would always pack something sweet in my lunch bag?

Hey, it worked for me! :)

Top Bottom