What's new

A less is more soap

My thoughts exactly. At first I thought MdC would be all hype as it consistently gets high reviews with 4 ingredients (5 if you count the water) but then I tried it and found out that somehow they are able to transform such a simple ingredients list into a top tier soap. I am still trying to figure out how they do this, but I'm not sure anyone but them knows. I have tried a couple of the Clones and they range from horrible to pretty good but still not close to MdC.

MdC dries their soap for quite a while. Other may be packaging really quickly.

Inspired by my excellent shave today with Nordic Shaving Co. Pine Tar, I wanted to revive this thread.

I've tagged this soap as "use as fast as I can so I get space for a new soap", meaning it was not good enough to keep around.
I still think it lacks in a few areas. The residual slickness when you completely rinse the soap seems poor, and the post shave feel is average (in my particular case). Still is a easy soap to lather, the slickness during shaving is pretty good, and most importantly and above all, I can't deny the fact that I get consistently excelent shaves with this soap, which, to me, is a bit surprising.

The ingredient list for this particular variation (Pine Tar) of NSC is the following:
Potassium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Pinus Sylvestris Wood Tar, Glycerin, Potassium Butyrospermum Parkii Butterate

So, my question is, after 4 years where artisans seem to move in the opposite direction with more complex (and, in my humble opinion, over priced because of it) soap formulations, what other minimalist ingredient list shaving soaps are there that weren't mentioned in the thread so far?

Officina Artigiana Milano
oli del benessere

Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Castor Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Parfum (Fragrance), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Linalool

Amazing lather in every aspect and post-shave care second to
none .

Officina Artigiana Milano
oli del benessere

Aqua (Water), Stearic Acid, Cocos Nucifera Oil, Castor Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Parfum (Fragrance), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Vitis Vinifera Seed Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Linalool

Amazing lather in every aspect and post-shave care second to
none .
Ah, but can it be ordered in the US? And if so, from where? I have been eyeing this one after seeing it mentioned in a couple of threads.

Ah, but can it be ordered in the US? And if so, from where? I have been eyeing this one after seeing it mentioned in a couple of threads.
I got mine from rasoirgoodfellas.com
Also you can check at soulobjects.de or
executive-shaving.co.uk .
There are also few italian e-shops that have it in stock
Check which shop offers lowest shipping to US .

Beehive Ingredients: Stearic Acid, water, coconut oil, shea butter, potassium hydroxide, glycerin, sodium hydroxide, castor oil, fragrance.

CBL Tonsorial. Ingredients: Beef Tallow, Stearic Acid, Water, Coconut Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Potassium Hydroxide, Fragrance, Glycerine.

La Toja: Ingredients: Potassium stearate, potassium cocoate, potassium palmitate, stearate soidum, aqua, glycerin, parfums, minerals salts, coumarin, limonene, linalool, butylpheryl methylpropional, tetrasodium EDTA, tetrasodium etidronate CI 77891

Not sure about the last few in La Toja. Stabilizers, preservatives?

La Toja: Ingredients: Potassium stearate, potassium cocoate, potassium palmitate, stearate soidum, aqua, glycerin, parfums, minerals salts, coumarin, limonene, linalool, butylpheryl methylpropional, tetrasodium EDTA, tetrasodium etidronate CI 77891

Yeah, it's tough for EU companies because of the need to list all of the fragrance components that are potential irritants. After mineral salts, you have a bunch of those, and then the two tetrasodiums are mineral chelators. CI 77891 is a colorant.

Stirling Barbershop:

Beef Tallow, Stearic Acid, Distilled Water, Castor Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Vegetable Glycerin, Fragrance Oil, Almond Oil, Shea Butter, Coconut Milk, Lanolin, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Lactate.

Not the shortest list I've seen on this list at 13 ingredients, but so many natural things: Tallow, Water, Castor Oil, Veggie Glycerin, Almond Oil, Shea Butter, Coconut Milk, Lanolin....8 of those are about as natural as you get.

butylpheryl methylpropional = synthetic fragrance,
tetrasodium EDTA = chelating agent
tetrasodium etidronate = chellating agent,
CI 77891 = titanium dioxide, bright white pigment often used in paints, paper, plastic products, sunscreen, cosmetics, etc.

Canadian Top of the Chain ...

In EU there’s also a new scent :“Stay Traditional”

Olfactory Pyramid:
Top Notes: Grapefruit, Lemon, Strawberry, Aldehyde, Peach, Green
Heart Notes: Ozonica, Salina
Base Notes: Musk

Edit: This is a SV quality class soap.
I expect that at some point the price will increase overnight...

Last edited:
Top Bottom