What's new

A lavender lovers soap question.

Gentlemen,

I am very fond of lavender shaving cream and soap and pretty much all things lavender. CF is my favorite lavender product. My fondness for lavender started when I was able to use Yardley's English Lavender soap on a regular basis, but that ended years ago. I have been using TOBS lavender soap for a number of years and it performes very well for me and I like it a very much. I also have T&H luxury lavender soap which performs very well and has a very light lavender scent.

I am considering purchasing a new lavender soap with my next order so the question is this; which one? I am thinking of either D.R. Harris or AOS lavender soaps. I have Arlington, Windsor and Marlborough from DRH and Sandalwood from AOS so I am familiar with the very fine performance of both of these manufacturers. I fully realize that this is a YMMV question but I would like to get some thoughts from my fellow lavender fans.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug, Harris and AoS Lavender are both excellent soaps, no question, but Czech & Speake's Oxford & Cambridge is wonderful. Not cheap but worth every penny IMO

In lavender soaps I only have D.R. Harris lavender, and, with it, it is the only one I think I need. Its lavender scent is distinct, unadulterated floral, and bright. The lather is, of course, D.R. Harris excellence.

If you're looking for something that has a scent that is similar to the CF lavender shaving cream, then I'd highly recommend the lavender scented shaving soap from Queen Charlotte Shave. The lavender offerings from AOS and D. R. Harris perform great as one would expect, but the lavender was very, very faint in both and both are a different type of lavender than what you're accustomed to with the CF lavender shaving cream. The QCS lavender scented shaving soap is the closest I found to the CF lavender shaving cream. The performance is also great. The Czech and Speake Oxford and Cambridge shaving soap is also great with a wonderful scent, but it's got some mint and other things in it that makes it less of a pure lavender.

Doug, Harris and AoS Lavender are both excellent soaps, no question, but Czech & Speake's Oxford & Cambridge is wonderful. Not cheap but worth every penny IMO

Though it is nothing like the super bright CF cream I have to agree with David. Czech & Speake Oxford and Cambridge is superb. Same lather qualities for the most part as AOS but with an actual lavender scent. I love their soaps but the lavender and lemon are barely scented. O&C is simply class.

Cheers, Todd

I am a lavender lover myself, and Mystic Water is my favorite lavender and my favorite soap overall. Great stuff. Mike's is very nice too and produces some outstanding lather if you master it.

I have never tried AOS or DRH lavenders, but have tried other scents from both and I prefer AOS performance over DRH, but not by much. Both are quality soaps.

Thank you all for the good information and suggestions. Is the scent of the AOS lavender stronger than than of DRH and are they both true "lavender" scents?

Regards,

Doug

No to the AOS. It is essential oil but you can barely smell it. The Harris soap is good but the lavender scent to me is more synthetic and generic soap/cleanser type smell. It is a pale comparison to the CF scent. I have not used Mystic Water lavender but it is on my list. Knowing Michelle's work the scent will be grand. And do not overlook the C&S.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:
Goto Amazon and order a bar of L'Occitane Lavender. Huge bath bar ships (included) for $10 Shipped from the Derm Store. I liked it enough to reoder another bar (through The Derm Store), then I reordered through them again and had to buy two bars in order to get free shipping (no problem). I've done the double reorder several times using/re-ordering this lavender soap, half dozen + bars anyways?. I think you'll like it

Not that you asked but, I also tried L'Occiotane's roll on deodorant, labelled L'Occitane (they have several others). I've reordered it with the Derm Store too. Not cheap at $16/bottle but it's a good product none the less, in the event you're in the market for a new under arm deodorant. FWIW, this one has about zero scent, really keeps me dry and odor free

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
DRH and AOS have very good lavender soaps, and you can add Razorock Chiati Lavender and King Louis Lavender to the list.

While I use and love DR Harris Lavender, I really like the pure, unadulterated lavender essential oil that scents the QCS Lavender Shaving Cream. It's a firm croap. They also make a soap, as someone recommended above, which I would assume uses the same lavender EO.

I love pure, almost tart lavenders. The QCS gets it right for my tastes.

While I am not sure I agree with Phog Allen that D. R. Harris smells synthetic, I will say that if you go to TJ Maxx and smell the Florentine Tuscan Lavender bath soap that I am sure they will have there, you will smell the same lavender scent that is D.R. Harris Lavender Shaving Soap. I love both!!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I have four lavender shave soaps and like the scent of TOBS most and the performance of the AOS best.

I really like the scent of the TOBS soap as well Doug, and that is why I have stayed with it for so long. I thought I might try the DRH or AOS because I like the way those soaps perform as well. Several of the suggestions are tempting but I do not have any experience with QCS, C&S, MW or Mikes. Of those listed it sounds like QCS may have the most authentic lavender scent. The C&S scent, while not an authentic lavender does intrigue me. Decisions, decisions, I don't know why I thought this would be a straight forward choice between DRH and AOS! What are the lathering characteristics of QCS soaps?

Regards,

Doug

I have the QCS Lavender croap (only lavender I've tried). IMO good scent and performance (although I think I liked the Basilica a little more...)

It lathers much the same as a RazoRock - easy and effective. Load a little on a damp brush and face lather. Not fussy.

Top Bottom