What's new

A last one for the road ?

Although my UK Tech #24 is my favourite DE, i'm in a dilemma about Gillette razors. Indeed, i have never had the opportunity to try a 1930s NEW family models.

I feel like buying one but i've also read somewhere that, for some users, a Tech was in fact a NEW but with a closed comb. In that case, i think it would be useless to get a NEW if they are right.

What do you think about that, guys ? And if you don't agree, which one would you recommend to me ? (and tell me why, if possible)

1- the NEW long comb 🇺🇸🇬🇧

2- the NEW short comb 🇺🇸🇬🇧

3- the NEW RFB 🇬🇧

I have an unpleasant feeling of uncompleted...:biggrin: Help me fix it, please !

...but i've also read somewhere that, for some users, a Tech was in fact a NEW but with a closed comb. In that case, i think it would be useless to get a NEW if they are right.
I don't think they are right. The NEW and the Tech are different razors. I Have a SC and a LC. I have a slight preference for the SC.

Although my UK Tech #24 is my favourite DE, i'm in a dilemma about Gillette razors. Indeed, i have never had the opportunity to try a 1930s NEW family models.

I feel like buying one but i've also read somewhere that, for some users, a Tech was in fact a NEW but with a closed comb. In that case, i think it would be useless to get a NEW if they are right.

What do you think about that, guys ? And if you don't agree, which one would you recommend to me ? (and tell me why, if possible)

1- the NEW long comb 🇺🇸🇬🇧

2- the NEW short comb 🇺🇸🇬🇧

3- the NEW RFB 🇬🇧

I have an unpleasant feeling of uncompleted...:biggrin: Help me fix it, please.
I have several New LC and SC’s and am happy to send them to you (USA) to try out. I may have a spare RFB but will have to check. Lacking a test run I would go for the RFB based on comfort/efficiency and collectibility.

I don't think they are right. The NEW and the Tech are different razors. I Have a SC and a LC. I have a slight preference for the SC.

I think they might say that because of the head geometry profil : the Tech geometry was clearly inspired by the NEW one.
But indeed, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will have the same razor in the end...

You say you have a slight preference for the SC, because :

- it shaves closer than the LC ?
- it is smoother for the skin than LC but it also shaves closer ?

Someone wrote in an other thread that the SC has more blade rigidity... If so, it may be better for me as well, but not sure either.

Last edited:
#3 if you can find and afford one

#1 would be a good choice to join the family easily
(...)

I could afford a RFB one but, as usual, i will try to get one as cheap as possible and in good condition in the same time. I'm not a collector so it doesn't matter to me if it doesn't come with its original box, etc...

Ok, the LC is the most current model here in Europe so that would be nice. But what about the shave with it, is it really worth it ?

I have several New LC and SC’s and am happy to send them to you (USA) to try out. I may have a spare RFB but will have to check. Lacking a test run I would go for the RFB based on comfort/efficiency and collectibility.

I do appreciate this very kind proposition sir, but i will decline it for 3 reasons :

1- since several years, the shipping cost from USA (and even elsewhere) to Europe has become a total madness.

2- i often watch on Ebay that customs fees are usually added to the shipping.We could have both of us some bad surprise because of that.

3- and last but not least, there is always a risk that the package gets lost for some reasons. I don't want that catastrophic scenario.

Don't worry, i have some talent to find what i want at a cheap price.:)

The Long Comb, for me, edges out the Short Comb. I have no experience with the RFB or the RAF for that matter.

I thought it over last week, and i was hesitating betwen the RFB & the short comb.

But then, i saw a message in some thread posted by @romsitsa , if i'm not mistaken, saying that the short comb was made in USA only.
I haven't been aware about that before, so i've concluded that it would be much more difficult to find a short comb here, in Europe.

So the RFB should be a wiser choice.🧐

Top Bottom