What's new

A hobby but...

I've used soap and a brush since learning to shave. Went to carts in the 70`s and back to DE 8 years ago. Never been a fan of canned foam.

Standing in the pharmacy section of a grocery store waiting for the overworked employee to open the locked case of carts was the end of the scam for me. Also going back to DE in a weird way conjures up memories of my father who had passed a year earlier. Online I went and found an entire alternate universe of shaving. Fun stuff.

Hello, people of B&B!

So today I want to talk about our hobby, which we all love. Thats what it is a hobby, because no one does it for the fuctunality of it. Yes, we all started because we heard how much better it is for sensitive skin or wanted to see how our fathers shaved, but if you have 10+ razors, way too many razor blades that you are starting to lose count, and questinable quantities of shaving cream, is not just shaving, is a hobby or addiction😅 depending on the point of view.

All the talk about how much more economical it is compared to modern shaving, or once you find your definitive razor-blade-cream combo you will be at peace. Let me tell the truth, IS ALL BULL****🤣. It doesn't matter how many shaves you got out of your last blade if you just bought a Walfram razor and a custom brush, you can throw the economic part out of the window. Definitive insert *blank* is not a real concept it is an abstract one, almost philosophical. You don't find a "definitive" *blank* is just an excuse to buy more stuff, a reflection of the capitalist world we live in. And i intend to elaborate more on the definitive concept in another thread in the future.
It dosen't apply to everyone of course, but I will say the majority of this forum for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I love traditional wet shaving. It transformed shaving for me, from a chore to a fun experience. Before was boring, now it's amazing having to think about what I will use today, how this new thing will perform, or will I make a good lather, or is going to be a disaster again🤣. It gives me something to focus on, to think about, and not just mindlessness dragging a razor across my face. There is also the "me time" part, having a moment of the day dedicated to yourself where you can relax and stop thinking about the stress and anxiety that life gives you.

So I am curious what made you start wet shaving, and most importantly what made you stay?
First of all let me say I have never appreciated use of profanity on the forum. By both native or non-native speakers.

So, you registered on the forum and a week later you start generalising about the members: "no one does it for the fuctunality of it", "we all started because........", what is "the majority on the forum for sure" etc. Sorry! Can't agree.

Live long and prosper! 🖖

First of all let me say I have never appreciated use of profanity on the forum. By both native or non-native speakers.

So, you registered on the forum and a week later you start generalising about the members: "no one does it for the fuctunality of it", "we all started because........", what is "the majority on the forum for sure" etc. Sorry! Can't agree.

Live long and prosper! 🖖
Well said, and the use of profanity is prohibited on B&B.

I’m a bit minimalist I think.
I have just one soap at a time, I use a straight razor so don’t experiment with different blades too much though I do have 7 razors and have had for years, none of which are expensive.
I have 6 basic stones which I’ve picked up over the years to keep my razors sharp though I also use them to keep my kitchen and pocket knives sharp too.
I do like the process of a nice morning shave on a piece of decent steel with a home made bespoke edge honed on a piece of ancient seabed with a good soap but for me that’s as far as it goes.

I started wet shaving when I had a beard last year, which is 10 months ago now (only had a beard a few times in life so not often), I went to the barbershop to clean it up, line it up and I always like it when I got a shave from the barbershop, it was not often as they add up but I really did like the post shave feel and cleanliness ie BBS of it.

I had a manscaped de that I got as a throw in from other orders so I figured "I will keep my beard lined up this way with a De I already have one" as I liked how clean my barber clean up my beard and neckline with a shavette. A year before that I thought I would shave with a DE and get the same BBS as a barbershop, I was so discouraged I didn't touch that de.

I was trying to keep my beard clean below my chin/neck area and it was working so I figured, "well how about shavettes like they use at the barbershop?" then it fell into "DE safety razors" as I kept searching. I first actually wanted to be able to shave decently with a DE safety razor so I found that as a challenge. I then kept going at it, watching tons of shaving videos, trying razors, then started going down vintage rabbit hole on top of some moderns.

I really enjoy this as instead of shaving being a chore, I see it as a hobby where I can relax when I shave plus I really enjoy trying all the different blades, razors, soaps, the whole thing, trying new stuff out, trying to keep getting and better at shaving (which I always think I can) so to me its fun.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I started wet shaving when I had a beard last year, which is 10 months ago now (only had a beard a few times in life so not often), I went to the barbershop to clean it up, line it up and I always like it when I got a shave from the barbershop, it was not often as they add up but I really did like the post shave feel and cleanliness ie BBS of it.

I had a manscaped de that I got as a throw in from other orders so I figured "I will keep my beard lined up this way with a De I already have one" as I liked how clean my barber clean up my beard and neckline with a shavette. A year before that I thought I would shave with a DE and get the same BBS as a barbershop, I was so discouraged I didn't touch that de.

I was trying to keep my beard clean below my chin/neck area and it was working so I figured, "well how about shavettes like they use at the barbershop?" then it fell into "DE safety razors" as I kept searching. I first actually wanted to be able to shave decently with a DE safety razor so I found that as a challenge. I then kept going at it, watching tons of shaving videos, trying razors, then started going down vintage rabbit hole on top of some moderns.

I really enjoy this as instead of shaving being a chore, I see it as a hobby where I can relax when I shave plus I really enjoy trying all the different blades, razors, soaps, the whole thing, trying new stuff out, trying to keep getting and better at shaving (which I always think I can) so to me its fun.
I so agree with you. I had my first DE shave on February 15th, 2022 (last year). It was horrible but I had ordered my first razor and it showed up on February 18th: an ESC Claymore Evolution AC razor. I have only had one or two poor shaves since. Wet shaving and this group of people have enriched my life. This isn’t hyperbole. I’ve had so much fun learning as well as meeting so many interesting people. It continues to be a blast.

There are places in the World were people never flipped or moved from DE Wet Shaving to Disposables because most of the population is too poor to buy throw away items.

Sure in some house hold a Single Antique Razor that was Grandpa’s is use by Dad & Sons.

Not every place on earth in 2023 has Electric Service, or Running Water 24 - 7 - 366.

I first got onto B&B to read the product reviews. I sported a stubble beard for 20+ years clipping once a week. At 40 the beard started going grey and it made me look older than I wanted. I started shaving and was shocked by the price of carts. I got decent shaves but changing the blade once a week was expensive. I remembered using a plastic Wilkinson DE with cheap blades to shave peach fuzz in the old days. The local shops didn’t carry them anymore so I went online to see if they were still a thing. I discovered that not only were they still around but there was a huge selection. Plus soaps… And brushes… I looked to B&B to steer me in the right direction.

I bought and sold a few things until I found something that worked for me. That might have been the end of it but then came Covid. I was looking for a challenge and something to do that didn’t require leaving the house. I decided to give straight razor shaving a try. There was suddenly much more gear to get to grips with and lots more to learn. Stropping and honing gave me more to do between shaves. When that was done B&B and online shopping filled in some lockdown time.

At some point my minimalist set up turned into a collection. The hunt for the perfect shave turned into the hunt for the missing puzzle piece. I now have more shaving supplies than I will likely ever need. My well curated, working, collection is now dangerously close to turning into a hoard of unused items. The acquisition phase has come to an end. I’ve learned enough to be self sufficient in this now. I stick around mainly to engage in the thought provoking chats and banter. There is a wealth of knowledge on these boards and the members are always willing to help each other out with advice on a diverse range of topics.

...So I am curious what made you start wet shaving...
There was nothing else to shave with when I started.

...and most importantly what made you stay?
Just a not-so-brief stint with cartridges (due to unavailability of traditional shaving supplies before the online stores became popular). Several years using cartridges made me run back to wet shaving the moment online stores started to spring out.
I consider wet shaving, using traditional double edge blades and a safety razor, to be far superior to modern shaving using cartridge or disposable razors.

Thats what it is a hobby, because no one does it for the fuctunality of it.

I agree with most of your post, except this part.

Yes it is a hobby, and yes I have allowed myself to be exploited by the capitalist aspect by buying waaaaay too much stuff...but shaving is something I must do on a regular basis (a beard is not an option for me).

I chose to use DE razors (and others) to make shaving less mundane, but it is still a necessary task that I chose to make a hobby. I could get rid of all my stuff and keep just one razor, blade, soap, and brush to make my shaves much more utilitarian and economical but unfortunately I'm an obsessed consumer who lacks the willpower to resist shiny things.

It is only a hobby by choice.

I agree with most of your post, except this part.

Yes it is a hobby, and yes I have allowed myself to be exploited by the capitalist aspect by buying waaaaay too much stuff...but shaving is something I must do on a regular basis (a beard is not an option for me).

I chose to use DE razors (and others) to make shaving less mundane, but it is still a necessary task that I chose to make a hobby. I could get rid of all my stuff and keep just one razor, blade, soap, and brush to make my shaves much more utilitarian and economical but unfortunately I'm an obsessed consumer who lacks the willpower to resist shiny things.

It is only a hobby by choice.
Oh ye i understand, I exaggerated a bit there. I meant that people tend to lean more on the hobby side than just for functionality of it. But as i have mention in the original post and in other replays:
It dosen't apply to everyone of course, but I will say the majority of this forum for sure.
Or at least to me seems that most people here are hobbyist, but of course we all need to shave or actively decide to not grow a beard. I personally mostly just head shave.

Over the past 10 years since I retired, I have been experimenting with various shaving techniques and products in pursuit of the best possible shave for my coarse beard and sensitive skin. I have purchased straight razors, double edge razors, single edge razors. I have purchased hones, strops and ultra fine abrasives to maintain the straight razors. I have purchased dozens of different brands of razor blades. I have purchased various types of brushes: badger, boar, horsehair, and synthetic. I have purchased nearly 250 shaving soaps and creams. I estimate my purchases have cost somewhere around $10,000 or roughly $1000 per year. Do I regret my expenditure? Absolutely not! I am getting the closest, most comfortable, most enjoyable shaves I have gotten in my entire life. In my younger days, it was common to have shaves that were either not close or not comfortable. I shaved because I had to do so, not because I enjoyed the experience. Today, I enjoy the shaving experience. Thus, for me, the time and money invested was well spent.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Over the past 10 years since I retired, I have been experimenting with various shaving techniques and products in pursuit of the best possible shave for my coarse beard and sensitive skin. I have purchased straight razors, double edge razors, single edge razors. I have purchased hones, strops and ultra fine abrasives to maintain the straight razors. I have purchased dozens of different brands of razor blades. I have purchased various types of brushes: badger, boar, horsehair, and synthetic. I have purchased nearly 250 shaving soaps and creams. I estimate my purchases have cost somewhere around $10,000 or roughly $1000 per year. Do I regret my expenditure? Absolutely not! I am getting the closest, most comfortable, most enjoyable shaves I have gotten in my entire life. In my younger days, it was common to have shaves that were either not close or not comfortable. I shaved because I had to do so, not because I enjoyed the experience. Today, I enjoy the shaving experience. Thus, for me, the time and money invested was well spent.
I've been retired 4 years, but I started my collection of razor paraphernalia a few years before in the quest for a comfortable shave.
I keep adding to my modest collection and keep getting better shaves, so, money well spent.

~doug~

I don't draw the line at DE for wet shaving. It's any method that uses water in the process of separating hair from the skin. I suppose that that would include something like Magic Shaving Powder since you mix it with water before applying and should probably rinse thoroughly afterward. As for battery shavers that can be used in the shower, I see them as an abomination of consumer excess and I refuse to recognize them. :)

90 percent of the time I use cartridges and try to optimize them for whatever the situation is. For daily shaving, I like the flagship 5 blade razors because after just one day the growth is uneven - some hairs are visible, some barely break the surface and some haven't popped up yet at all, so I need something less likely to miss a shorter hair. For multiple days' growth, something with more widely spaced blades, like Schick Xtreme3, possibly the most underrated shaving product there is, which works well for me. For anything in between, it's what the spirit moves me to use, anything from Sensor to Quattro to the Assured 3 blade from Dollar Tree which, for 3 and maybe 4 shaves, provides surprisingly good results.

DE is fun but for me it's for a weekend morning when time isn't a factor. I have a 23C and a 34C that had been "re-gifted" to Goodwill, both of which I use with Silver Blue blades.

Top Bottom