What's new

A hobby but...

Hello, people of B&B!

So today I want to talk about our hobby, which we all love. Thats what it is a hobby, because no one does it for the fuctunality of it. Yes, we all started because we heard how much better it is for sensitive skin or wanted to see how our fathers shaved, but if you have 10+ razors, way too many razor blades that you are starting to lose count, and questinable quantities of shaving cream, is not just shaving, is a hobby or addiction😅 depending on the point of view.

All the talk about how much more economical it is compared to modern shaving, or once you find your definitive razor-blade-cream combo you will be at peace. Let me tell the truth, IS ALL BULL****🤣. It doesn't matter how many shaves you got out of your last blade if you just bought a Walfram razor and a custom brush, you can throw the economic part out of the window. Definitive insert *blank* is not a real concept it is an abstract one, almost philosophical. You don't find a "definitive" *blank* is just an excuse to buy more stuff, a reflection of the capitalist world we live in. And i intend to elaborate more on the definitive concept in another thread in the future.
It dosen't apply to everyone of course, but I will say the majority of this forum for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I love traditional wet shaving. It transformed shaving for me, from a chore to a fun experience. Before was boring, now it's amazing having to think about what I will use today, how this new thing will perform, or will I make a good lather, or is going to be a disaster again🤣. It gives me something to focus on, to think about, and not just mindlessness dragging a razor across my face. There is also the "me time" part, having a moment of the day dedicated to yourself where you can relax and stop thinking about the stress and anxiety that life gives you.

So I am curious what made you start wet shaving, and most importantly what made you stay?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I decided to try double edge razors in the early 1990's, because cartridges for the razor I was using, we're so expensive. Afterwards, I discovered that not only were the costs less, but the shave was far superior too.

30+ years later, I am still using double edged razors, albeit not the same one (although I do have that first one, and still use it occasionally). Personally though, I don't consider shaving a hobby.

I am not a collector, or to put it another way, I do not have a shaving themed shopping hobby. I have tried a few different things, and am well stocked in consumables, but a shave is still just a shave to me. The forum is the closest to what I would consider my hobby side of shaving. Going online, and talking to people of like minded interests, not just with shaving though, but fountain pens, pipe smoking, and various other life aspects that have subforums here. I don't consider that I have themed shopping hobbies in those other topics either. It's just nice to talk about interests and discoveries, and maybe help a few people along the way.

On average, I spend less than 30 minutes shaving per week. That's not the basis for a hobby to my mind. I might smoke three pipes in that same week, drink five coffees, and use fountain pens for a few hours. As a nod to other subforums, I wear clothes and eat something every day. Still nothing in there I would consider a hobby though.

So my arguement is that while shaving can be the basis of a hobby, not everyone here is a hobbyist shaver.

I started traditional DE shaving ten years ago and I think it was just a sense of annoyance with Gillette cartridge razors - feeling Gillette was gouging customers with how expensive the cartridges had become, the endless clogging, and the nagging awareness that the whole 5-blade thing was a marketing scam. Nobody likes to feel like they’re being fooled. What I wanted instead was a nicer quality, built to last, one-blade razor. Or at least I wanted to try it and see if I really could get at least as good shaves with a fixed-head, single blade razor.

I read a lot on B&B and bought myself an Above The Tie with the (middle) R plate, and a Merkur 38C. The ATT razor was pretty new on the market then and $100, but it was the first CNC machined stainless steel razor and, along with the Feather AS-D2 was the most premium razor you could get. The Merkur was a lot rougher to use, so I kept that for travel, but the ATT gave me shaves that immediately matched my cartridge experience for closeness and smoothness, even before I had any technique. I got a Kent BK8 silvertip badger brush, Geo. F. Trumper soaps and aftershaves, and Proraso cream, and I was good for years with that and never returned to B&B. So I wouldn’t say I was in the hobby then.

During 2020 and the Covid lockdowns I decided to pop back into B&B and see what other soaps and aftershaves were popular now. I suppose because Covid gave me time to work from home and I was more open to experimenting, I started looking at other things. There had been an explosion of new CNC premium razors onto the market - Timeless, Karve, Blackland, Wolfman, and so on - and the talk about soaps and aftershaves had expanded beyond the London-based brands and standard Italian staples into a wealth of exceptional quality products and artisan offerings from everywhere in the world. Same with brushes, which were now global and there were independent artisan hand-made brands. So, without intending to, I got into exploring all this new stuff that wasn’t imaginable ten years before. Then I thought, I’ve got time on my hands and I’m not going to the office, so why not try out shavettes and straight razors - nobody is going to see the cuts and it’ll be fun to learn a new (but really very old) skill.

Now I’d say it’s the variety and the quality of the stuff I’ve found that keeps me engaged in shaving as a hobby. Finding out what I like and finding the best things for my preferences - razors, brushes, soaps, aftershaves. Also finally learning good technique with a DE razor and getting consistent, superb shaves that make me want to stroke my face and neck all day. I’ve enjoyed it and I would honestly say that most days I get more pleasure from my shave than I do from anything else that happened that day.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I got my first job to learn the carpentry trade when I was 22. I had worked on a swimming pool installation crew before that for the summer season in Montana…..just a few months. And for most of the first year of our marriage, I worked at a pork processing plant.

All that to say, I learned to appreciate quality tools. My dad was a car and truck mechanic and had a complete set of tools at the house, but they weren’t mine, just tools I borrowed from time to time. He did teach me how to use them, organize and clean them after each use.

I’ve done a few other things during my working years, but I never lost my enjoyment of using quality equipment. I’ve sort of approached wet shaving in a similar fashion. I have a few great razors, a few exceptional brushes with the face feel I like and a few very good scentless soaps. I copied people here for all them and added some of their favorite blades as well. I’m sure I’ll add this or that from time to time, but the main selections are complete.

I didn’t start wet shaving to save money, thankfully. <eg>

I came in to see if it was a viable alternative to my electric razor (before that I used a Sensor for a year or two or more, I wasn’t keeping count back then. Shaving was a chore). I felt my skin might appreciate the better caring. I could have done that with better products while still using an electric razor, but just decided to give wet shaving a new go vintage style.

I was pretty much set the first couple of months, got a second razor to amp up my efficiency from the KCG I started with, but getting a Tech was my call to the BOSC asylum and I have been there ever since. I seriously need to pay attention to the LOTH, because all I talk about these days is shaving related, so definitely a hobby bordering on addiction. I have too many razors, but most were for grabs or gifted. My most precious razor is the one I also use the most.

I am happy though with my progression and the lady has remarked several times that my skin is much better than a year ago. She also favours the closeness of the shave above the electric one. All pluses in my book.

lasta

Blade Biter
I started "traditional" wet-shaving in 2004/2005. For the first 12 years, I had a Gillette Slim and couple of straights. Shaving was still just a chore and I barely spent any money. So yes, you can be minimalist and get by.

Nowadays, I'm browsing ebay trying to find some Czech/Argentinian made Super Stainless blades because I'm curious about how they compare with American, Canadian and French varieties:c3:.

Just paid for a Lambda razor, and before it's shipped out, I'm wondering if I should get a DE89 just for giggles.

I think the majority of traffic on this site are from guests searching for popular/cheap cartridge alternatives. It doesnt take long to find an answer. The ones that actually post are the real outliers.

Hello, people of B&B!

So today I want to talk about our hobby, which we all love. Thats what it is a hobby, because no one does it for the fuctunality of it. Yes, we all started because we heard how much better it is for sensitive skin or wanted to see how our fathers shaved, but if you have 10+ razors, way too many razor blades that you are starting to lose count, and questinable quantities of shaving cream, is not just shaving, is a hobby or addiction😅 depending on the point of view.

All the talk about how much more economical it is compared to modern shaving, or once you find your definitive razor-blade-cream combo you will be at peace. Let me tell the truth, IS ALL BULL****🤣. It doesn't matter how many shaves you got out of your last blade if you just bought a Walfram razor and a custom brush, you can throw the economic part out of the window. Definitive insert *blank* is not a real concept it is an abstract one, almost philosophical. You don't find a "definitive" *blank* is just an excuse to buy more stuff, a reflection of the capitalist world we live in. And i intend to elaborate more on the definitive concept in another thread in the future.
It dosen't apply to everyone of course, but I will say the majority of this forum for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I love traditional wet shaving. It transformed shaving for me, from a chore to a fun experience. Before was boring, now it's amazing having to think about what I will use today, how this new thing will perform, or will I make a good lather, or is going to be a disaster again🤣. It gives me something to focus on, to think about, and not just mindlessness dragging a razor across my face. There is also the "me time" part, having a moment of the day dedicated to yourself where you can relax and stop thinking about the stress and anxiety that life gives you.

So I am curious what made you start wet shaving, and most importantly what made you stay?
Since using cartridge razors is wet shaving I think the obvious answer is that the person didn’t want to use electric razors so they use something with a blade and some type of lather.

Also, a similar question was posted back in January.

And the hobby aspect is being discussed in this thread.

I'm a relative newbie, having switched to wet shaving in the fall of last year.
I had used the standard cartridges for years, including a switch to Dollar Shave Club based solely on the cleverness of their introductory ad on YouTube and stayed with them for a decade. Then they got bought out by a huge multi-national corporation and the bloom was off the rose for me and I looked for alternative cartridges, which I found. But they just weren't providing great shaves and, as we know, are expensive. Being someone who has a love affair with history, I explored the whole DE safety razor scene through this site and YouTube to arm myself with knowledge. I should say as well that my career involved machinery and I have a love of well-made tools.
Then I dove in, buying an inexpensive Van Der Hagen TTO (essentially a Gillette Super Speed copy, from what I can see), some Proraso Green and a badger brush and had my first tentative shave.
It was love at first shave.
Of course, one razor is never enough, so I've added four more and bought several more soaps and shave creams (I'm an unabashed Cremo fan). In addition, I've bought several blade sample packs and have accrued a ridiculous number of blades in short order.
And then, fascinated by the threads and videos of vintage Gillettes, I started investigating that aspect of this love of efficient and historical tools. I'm weeks away from my 70th birthday I've now got two vintage Gillettes winging their way towards my mail box, one from my birth year/quarter and one from my younger brother's year/quarter.
So I've opened up that Pandora's Box! I don't plan on more vintage razors but then you never know where this will take you ...
One last thing: I have been stunned by the kindness and unselfishness of many here in the shaving community. It's restored my faith in mankind. :)

This...
I love traditional wet shaving. It transformed shaving for me, from a chore to a fun experience. Before was boring, now it's amazing having to think about what I will use today, how this new thing will perform, or will I make a good lather, or is going to be a disaster again🤣. It gives me something to focus on, to think about, and not just mindlessness dragging a razor across my face. There is also the "me time" part, having a moment of the day dedicated to yourself where you can relax and stop thinking about the stress and anxiety that life gives you.

will likely be the answer for a bunch of us to this...
what made you start wet shaving, and most importantly what made you stay?

Including me.

However, your assertions that the experiences, perceptions or preferences of those here who shave with an eye toward 'functionality' or 'economics' are tantamount to 'BULL****' are a bridge too far for me.

The threads linked above by @HoosierTrooper may provide some insight into the range of motivations.

This...

will likely be the answer for a bunch of us to this...

Including me.

However, your assertions that the experiences, perceptions or preferences of those here who shave with an eye toward 'functionality' or 'economics' are tantamount to 'BULL****' are a bridge too far for me.

The threads linked above by @HoosierTrooper may provide some insight into the range of motivations.
OK, I see that my post has created a bit of hostility, so I would like to clarify.
First of all, I write in a certain way for the sole reason of trying to make the text more interesting for the readers. I write in a certain language that will make people feel something, positive or negative, and everything in the middle. I don't want my text to feel flat or boring, so i try to give some character to them, whether I succeed or not, may vary, since English is not my first language and i struggle a lot. One of the reasons I opened an account here is to write so i improve my proficiency in the language. I could have just rephrased that "controversial" part and everything would have been OK, but I decided not to, and i do believe it boosted the engagement on the post.

Like the first reply to my post
So my arguement is that while shaving can be the basis of a hobby, not everyone here is a hobbyist shaver.
which I do totally agree with, but i do profoundly believe that most people who *"actively engage"* in this forum do fall under the category I describe in the post.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I started traditional DE shaving ten years ago and I think it was just a sense of annoyance with Gillette cartridge razors - feeling Gillette was gouging customers with how expensive the cartridges had become, the endless clogging, and the nagging awareness that the whole 5-blade thing was a marketing scam. Nobody likes to feel like they’re being fooled. What I wanted instead was a nicer quality, built to last, one-blade razor. Or at least I wanted to try it and see if I really could get at least as good shaves with a fixed-head, single blade razor.

I read a lot on B&B and bought myself an Above The Tie with the (middle) R plate, and a Merkur 38C. The ATT razor was pretty new on the market then and $100, but it was the first CNC machined stainless steel razor and, along with the Feather AS-D2 was the most premium razor you could get. The Merkur was a lot rougher to use, so I kept that for travel, but the ATT gave me shaves that immediately matched my cartridge experience for closeness and smoothness, even before I had any technique. I got a Kent BK8 silvertip badger brush, Geo. F. Trumper soaps and aftershaves, and Proraso cream, and I was good for years with that and never returned to B&B. So I wouldn’t say I was in the hobby then.

During 2020 and the Covid lockdowns I decided to pop back into B&B and see what other soaps and aftershaves were popular now. I suppose because Covid gave me time to work from home and I was more open to experimenting, I started looking at other things. There had been an explosion of new CNC premium razors onto the market - Timeless, Karve, Blackland, Wolfman, and so on - and the talk about soaps and aftershaves had expanded beyond the London-based brands and standard Italian staples into a wealth of exceptional quality products and artisan offerings from everywhere in the world. Same with brushes, which were now global and there were independent artisan hand-made brands. So, without intending to, I got into exploring all this new stuff that wasn’t imaginable ten years before. Then I thought, I’ve got time on my hands and I’m not going to the office, so why not try out shavettes and straight razors - nobody is going to see the cuts and it’ll be fun to learn a new (but really very old) skill.

Now I’d say it’s the variety and the quality of the stuff I’ve found that keeps me engaged in shaving as a hobby. Finding out what I like and finding the best things for my preferences - razors, brushes, soaps, aftershaves. Also finally learning good technique with a DE razor and getting consistent, superb shaves that make me want to stroke my face and neck all day. I’ve enjoyed it and I would honestly say that most days I get more pleasure from my shave than I do from anything else that happened that day.
"Nobody likes to feel like they're being fooled" sums it up perfectly for me. Once the Sensor became a 3 blade razor and the price doubled and then became unobtainable, I was done.

The "hobby" for me is in engaging (read: bothering) other forum members.

I apologize gents, but everyone needs a hobby!

my post has created a bit of hostility
since English is not my first language

My friend, I appreciate that you are not a native speaker of English and as such I applaud your attempt to engage despite that. FWIW, your English seems quite good from here. 👍

However, you are attempting to conflate two fairly distinct groups within the community and then inexplicably call 'BULL****' on your imaginary construct. Do you see?

I've been reading this forum since it's infancy and can tell you there have been, and still are, a great many who keep quite the modest den. Either by choice or necessity. As you say, they are not a large group. But, then again, B&B is not a monolith.

By and large, those are not going to be the same folks you'll find on the waiting list for a Wolfman.

Likewise, those with dens replete with hundreds of products won't typically be found praising the money-saving aspects of wet-shaving.

It's all well and fine to wonder about shaver's motivations but when you ask that question after having just cast derision (even in jest) on some of them well...it comes off a bit dismissively IMHO.

All that said, I do appreciate your membership here and hope this will be the first of many friendly conversations! 🤝

Last edited:
I consider it a bit of a hobby and it makes me happy to have almost limitless product combinations to try. I don't feel any pressure from having these choices as I know it's completely up to me and if I am not feeling inspired to try something new then it's OK to fall back on an existing proven combination.

Top Bottom